Advice Request AdGuard tweaking (Yes, I confess, I did it again, changed adblocking strategy)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Yes, I admit it is an addiction trying to get the most out of the combo DNS - Browser - Extensions, but to look at the bright side of life and put this in perspective, this is a decent addiction, does not cost me any money and does not offend people nor law.

I tend to switch between uBlockOrigin and Adguard extension and vica versa. I was happily using the combo NextDNS-uBlockOrigin until @oldschool and @silversurfer started to post about ClearURL and NeatURL. This triggered me to have a look at AdGuard Extension again. Benefit of Adguard is that it also has an option to check for malware (I have Smartscreen disabled because it sends full URL) PLUS AdGuard extension has a stealth mode (which is disabled by default). This stealth mode also has an URL cleaning option. The default set of URL parameters can be easily tweaked, by simply adding comma seperated parameters to the text input box.

Cleaning URL's
I added some tracking parameters of popular tracking networks in AdGuard's stealth option:

utm_source,utm_medium,utm_term,utm_campaign,utm_content,utm_name,utm_cid,utm_reader,utm_viz_id,utm_pubreferrer,utm_swu,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_place,utm_userid,utm_channel,gs_l,gs_Lcp,client,sclient,ei,sei,gws_rd,gs_gbg,gs_mss,gs_rn,ved,uact,fbclid,_hsenc,_hsmi,__hssc,__hstc,hsCtaTracking,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sc_geo,sc_country,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,s_cid,itm_source,itm_medium,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_term,spReportId,spJobID,spUserID,spMailingID,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,mkt_tok,mc_cid,mc_eid,pk_campaign,pk_kwd,pk_source,pk_medium,pk_content

EDIT: it is easier to add the parameters Security123 made out of this list above in the next post!

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Mine is the few default tracking parameters in Adguard for Windows + those listed in Neat URL extension. You just install Neat URL and you click on it there you'll find the whole list.

Now you have to tediously add each tracking parameter individually into Adguard unlike previously where you can add a whole list
??? why not attach the list to make it simple for me ??? The Adguard extensions still allows to add the list, I just removed and copied my tracking parameters

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
v7.5.3 Adguard for Windows only allows to add tracking parameter individually. Cannot add an entire list at once

1609225799128.png

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Lenny_Fox

Actually, the list in Neat URL extension is not much different from your list below....only a few differences. You can make a comparison by installing Neat URL extension.

utm_source,utm_medium,utm_term,utm_campaign,utm_content,utm_name,utm_cid,utm_reader,utm_viz_id,utm_pubreferrer,utm_swu,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_place,utm_userid,utm_channel,gs_l,gs_Lcp,client,sclient,ei,sei,gws_rd,gs_gbg,gs_mss,gs_rn,ved,uact,fbclid,_hsenc,_hsmi,__hssc,__hstc,hsCtaTracking,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sc_geo,sc_country,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,s_cid,itm_source,itm_medium,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_term,spReportId,spJobID,spUserID,spMailingID,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,mkt_tok,mc_cid,mc_eid,pk_campaign,pk_kwd,pk_source,pk_medium,pk_content

Upvote 0

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@HarborFront Okay had not realized gui of ag app is different from ag extension thx

Updated URL parm list for extension (GA ommited because ga.js is blocked in most blocklists), thx 2 HarborFront

Code:
utm_source,utm_medium,utm_term,utm_campaign,utm_content,utm_name,utm_cid,utm_reader,utm_viz_id,utm_pubreferrer,utm_swu,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_place,utm_userid,utm_channel,gs_l,gs_Lcp,client,sclient,ei,sei,gws_rd,gs_gbg,gs_mss,gs_rn,ved,uact,fbclid,_hsenc,_hsmi,__hssc,__hstc,hsCtaTracking,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sc_geo,sc_country,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,s_cid,itm_source,itm_medium,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_term,spReportId,spJobID,spUserID,spMailingID,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,mkt_tok,mc_cid,mc_eid,pk_campaign,pk_kwd,pk_source,pk_medium,pk_content,glcid,gclsrc,s_cid,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,mc_cid,mc_eid,nr_email_referer,vero_conv,vero_id,mbid,cmpid,cid,c_id,campaign_id,Campaign

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
@HarborFront Okay had not realized gui of ag app is different from ag extension thx

Updated URL parm list for extension (GA ommited because ga.js is blocked in most blocklists), thx 2 HarborFront

Code:
utm_source,utm_medium,utm_term,utm_campaign,utm_content,utm_name,utm_cid,utm_reader,utm_viz_id,utm_pubreferrer,utm_swu,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_place,utm_userid,utm_channel,gs_l,gs_Lcp,client,sclient,ei,sei,gws_rd,gs_gbg,gs_mss,gs_rn,ved,uact,fbclid,_hsenc,_hsmi,__hssc,__hstc,hsCtaTracking,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sc_geo,sc_country,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,s_cid,itm_source,itm_medium,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_term,spReportId,spJobID,spUserID,spMailingID,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,mkt_tok,mc_cid,mc_eid,pk_campaign,pk_kwd,pk_source,pk_medium,pk_content,glcid,gclsrc,s_cid,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,mc_cid,mc_eid,nr_email_referer,vero_conv,vero_id,mbid,cmpid,cid,c_id,campaign_id,Campaign
What do you think of this: General URL Cleaner

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool
Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What do you think of this: General URL Cleaner
Mentioned here

Can use Affiliate Killer too

FI, I have the above 2 userscipts added to Adguard for Windows

Others can be found here

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks to @HarborFront the updated AdGuard extended tracking parameter cleaning set for AdGuard extension stealth mode

Code:
__hssc,__hstc,_hsenc,_hsmi,_reqid,_trkparms,ad_bucket,ad_size,ad_slot,adid,adserverid,adserveroptimizedid,adtype,adurl,AffiliateGuid,assetId,assetType,bdref,bstk,c_id,Campaign,campaign_id,campaignId,cid,clickid,client,clkurlenc,cmpid,dclid,ei,elqTrack,elqTrackId,exitPop,fb,fb_ref,fb_source,fbclid,first_visit,ga_content,ga_fc,ga_hid,ga_medium,ga_place,ga_source,ga_vid,gclsrc,glcid,gs_gbg,gs_l,gs_Lcp,gs_mss,gs_rn,gws_rd,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,hsCtaTracking,ImpressionGuid,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_medium,itm_source,itm_term,matchid,mbid,mc_cid,mc_eid,mediatadaid,minbid,mkt_tok,nr_email_referer,num_ads,origin,page_referrer,payload,piggiebackcookie,pk_campaign,pk_content,pk_kwd,pk_medium,pk_source,providerid,pubclick,pubid,recipientId,referrer,reftype,revmod,rurl,s_cid,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_country,sc_geo,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sclient,sei,siteId,sourceid,spJobID,spMailingID,spReportId,spUserID,tldid,trackid,tracking,uact,uid,usegapi,utm_campaign,utm_channel,utm_cid,utm_content,utm_medium,utm_name,utm_place,utm_pubreferrer,utm_reader,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_source,utm_swu,utm_term,utm_userid,utm_viz_id,ved,vero_conv,vero_id,zoneid

I have sorted the list (which now is based on AdGuard, Neat URL and Trace), so it is more easy to look which you have (not) added to your own url parameter cleaning list. When you see incorrect parameters (typo's) please don't hesitate to post

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
EDIT of above post (removed ei, because some members using Windows Desktop version report youtube not playing movies)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ (url tracking parameters to block)____

__hssc,__hstc,_hsenc,_hsmi,_reqid,_trkparms,ad_bucket,ad_size,ad_slot,adid,adserverid,adserveroptimizedid,adtype,adurl,AffiliateGuid,assetId,assetType,bdref,bstk,c_id,Campaign,campaign_id,campaignId,cid,clickid,client,clkurlenc,cmpid,dclid,elqTrack,elqTrackId,exitPop,fb,fb_ref,fb_source,fbclid,first_visit,ga_content,ga_fc,ga_hid,ga_medium,ga_place,ga_source,ga_vid,gclsrc,glcid,gs_gbg,gs_l,gs_Lcp,gs_mss,gs_rn,gws_rd,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,hsCtaTracking,ImpressionGuid,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_medium,itm_source,itm_term,matchid,mbid,mc_cid,mc_eid,mediatadaid,minbid,mkt_tok,nr_email_referer,num_ads,origin,page_referrer,payload,piggiebackcookie,pk_campaign,pk_content,pk_kwd,pk_medium,pk_source,providerid,pubclick,pubid,recipientId,referrer,reftype,revmod,rurl,s_cid,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_country,sc_geo,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sclient,sei,siteId,sourceid,spJobID,spMailingID,spReportId,spUserID,tldid,trackid,tracking,uact,uid,usegapi,utm_campaign,utm_channel,utm_cid,utm_content,utm_medium,utm_name,utm_place,utm_pubreferrer,utm_reader,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_source,utm_swu,utm_term,utm_userid,utm_viz_id,ved,vero_conv,vero_id,zoneid

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
One more thing you can do is to add abused TLDs blocking to "Filtering rules" in Adguard for desktop. The below list is taken from WildersSecurity forums. See below link and post #5147. Of course, you can add that to uBO but since you are using Adguard Adblocker extension you can consider adding the list. BTW, Trace extension also has this TLD blocking feature

! The Most Abused Top Level Domains
! The Spamhaus Project - The Top 10 Most Abused TLDs
||*.rest^$all
||*.gq^$all
||*.work^$all
||*.tk^$all
||*.ml^$all
||*.viajes^$all
||*.casa^$all
||*.london^$all
||*.cf^$all
||*.fail^$all
||*.surf^$all
||*.cam^$all
||*.exposed^$all
||*.buzz^$all
||*.fit^$all
||*.asia^$all
||*.date^$all

Note : I can add the entire list at once to my Adguard for desktop

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Talking about pishing protection, i don't see any reason to depend on adguard since you can use more reliable options, like Bitdefender Traffic Light (best defense and performance) or Emsisoft Browser Guard (for more privacy).

BTW, ty for the lists @Lenny_Fox, @HarborFront and @SecurityNightmares . I'd like to fully understand the clear url one. ;)

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Talking about pishing protection, i don't see any reason to depend on adguard since you can use more reliable options, like Bitdefender Traffic Light (best defense and performance) or Emsisoft Browser Guard (for more privacy).

BTW, ty for the lists @Lenny_Fox, @HarborFront and @SecurityNightmares . I'd like to fully understand the clear url one. ;)
You can add another great extension to phishing protection and that is NetCraft Extension but it collects your user data

Short explanation

URL query strings (The bits after the question mark) and fragments (The bits after the hash) are often used to track you, the most common ones that you'll see are ones that start with utm_, these parameters are vital for most websites but some of them often contain information about you such as where you came from, the ad you clicked, or some other form of identifier. Removing these parameters makes you much harder to track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
One more thing you can do is to add abused TLDs blocking to User Rules. The below list is taken from WildersSecurity forums. See below link and post #5147. Of course, you can add that to uBO but since you are using Adguard Adblocker extension you can consider adding the list. BTW, Trace extension also has this TLD blocking feature

I updated this list with ones missing from NEXTDNS list.

||*.rest^$all
||*.gq^$all
||*.work^$all
||*.tk^$all
||*.ml^$all
||*.viajes^$all
||*.casa^$all
||*.london^$all
||*.cf^$all
||*.fail^$all
||*.surf^$all
||*.cam^$all
||*.exposed^$all
||*.buzz^$all
||*.fit^$all
||*.asia^$all
||*.date^$all
! Missing TLDs from NEXTDNS LIST
||*.email^$all
||*.recipes^$all
||*.cn^$all
||*.ga^$all

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I updated this list with ones missing from NEXTDNS list.

||*.rest^$all
||*.gq^$all
||*.work^$all
||*.tk^$all
||*.ml^$all
||*.viajes^$all
||*.casa^$all
||*.london^$all
||*.cf^$all
||*.fail^$all
||*.surf^$all
||*.cam^$all
||*.exposed^$all
||*.buzz^$all
||*.fit^$all
||*.asia^$all
||*.date^$all
! Missing TLDs from NEXTDNS LIST
||*.email^$all
||*.recipes^$all
||*.cn^$all
||*.ga^$all
Updated my list as well. Thanks

Upvote 0

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I noticed the clear urls list has an error (fb,).

__hssc,__hstc,_hsenc,_hsmi,_reqid,_trkparms,ad_bucket,ad_size,ad_slot,adid,adserverid,adserveroptimizedid,adtype,adurl,AffiliateGuid,assetId,assetType,bdref,bstk,c_id,Campaign,campaign_id,campaignId,cid,clickid,client,clkurlenc,cmpid,dclid,elqTrack,elqTrackId,exitPop,fb,fb_ref,fb_source,fbclid,first_visit,ga_content,ga_fc,ga_hid,ga_medium,ga_place,ga_source,ga_vid,gclsrc,glcid,gs_gbg,gs_l,gs_Lcp,gs_mss,gs_rn,gws_rd,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,hsCtaTracking,ImpressionGuid,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_medium,itm_source,itm_term,matchid,mbid,mc_cid,mc_eid,mediatadaid,minbid,mkt_tok,nr_email_referer,num_ads,origin,page_referrer,payload,piggiebackcookie,pk_campaign,pk_content,pk_kwd,pk_medium,pk_source,providerid,pubclick,pubid,recipientId,referrer,reftype,revmod,rurl,s_cid,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_country,sc_geo,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sclient,sei,siteId,sourceid,spJobID,spMailingID,spReportId,spUserID,tldid,trackid,tracking,uact,uid,usegapi,utm_campaign,utm_channel,utm_cid,utm_content,utm_medium,utm_name,utm_place,utm_pubreferrer,utm_reader,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_source,utm_swu,utm_term,utm_userid,utm_viz_id,ved,vero_conv,vero_id,zoneid
And its missing

fb_action_ids
fb_action_types

So I added and corrected it.

__hssc,__hstc,_hsenc,_hsmi,_reqid,_trkparms,ad_bucket,ad_size,ad_slot,adid,adserverid,adserveroptimizedid,adtype,adurl,AffiliateGuid,assetId,assetType,bdref,bstk,c_id,Campaign,campaign_id,campaignId,cid,clickid,client,clkurlenc,cmpid,dclid,elqTrack,elqTrackId,exitPop,fb_action_ids,fb_action_types,fb_ref,fb_source,fbclid,first_visit,ga_content,ga_fc,ga_hid,ga_medium,ga_place,ga_source,ga_vid,gclsrc,glcid,gs_gbg,gs_l,gs_Lcp,gs_mss,gs_rn,gws_rd,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,hsCtaTracking,ImpressionGuid,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_medium,itm_source,itm_term,matchid,mbid,mc_cid,mc_eid,mediatadaid,minbid,mkt_tok,nr_email_referer,num_ads,origin,page_referrer,payload,piggiebackcookie,pk_campaign,pk_content,pk_kwd,pk_medium,pk_source,providerid,pubclick,pubid,recipientId,referrer,reftype,revmod,rurl,s_cid,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_country,sc_geo,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sclient,sei,siteId,sourceid,spJobID,spMailingID,spReportId,spUserID,tldid,trackid,tracking,uact,uid,usegapi,utm_campaign,utm_channel,utm_cid,utm_content,utm_medium,utm_name,utm_place,utm_pubreferrer,utm_reader,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_source,utm_swu,utm_term,utm_userid,utm_viz_id,ved,vero_conv,vero_id,zoneid

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I noticed the clear urls list has an error (fb,).

And its missing

fb_action_ids
fb_action_types

So I added and corrected it.

__hssc,__hstc,_hsenc,_hsmi,_reqid,_trkparms,ad_bucket,ad_size,ad_slot,adid,adserverid,adserveroptimizedid,adtype,adurl,AffiliateGuid,assetId,assetType,bdref,bstk,c_id,Campaign,campaign_id,campaignId,cid,clickid,client,clkurlenc,cmpid,dclid,elqTrack,elqTrackId,exitPop,fb_action_ids,fb_action_types,fb_ref,fb_source,fbclid,first_visit,ga_content,ga_fc,ga_hid,ga_medium,ga_place,ga_source,ga_vid,gclsrc,glcid,gs_gbg,gs_l,gs_Lcp,gs_mss,gs_rn,gws_rd,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,hsCtaTracking,ImpressionGuid,itm_campaign,itm_content,itm_medium,itm_source,itm_term,matchid,mbid,mc_cid,mc_eid,mediatadaid,minbid,mkt_tok,nr_email_referer,num_ads,origin,page_referrer,payload,piggiebackcookie,pk_campaign,pk_content,pk_kwd,pk_medium,pk_source,providerid,pubclick,pubid,recipientId,referrer,reftype,revmod,rurl,s_cid,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_country,sc_geo,sc_medium,sc_outcome,sclient,sei,siteId,sourceid,spJobID,spMailingID,spReportId,spUserID,tldid,trackid,tracking,uact,uid,usegapi,utm_campaign,utm_channel,utm_cid,utm_content,utm_medium,utm_name,utm_place,utm_pubreferrer,utm_reader,utm_referrer,utm_social,utm_social-type,utm_source,utm_swu,utm_term,utm_userid,utm_viz_id,ved,vero_conv,vero_id,zoneid
According to my post #27 above fb is taken from Trace extension. You got comment on fb? Or is it a typo error in Trace extension?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

petok

Level 1
Sep 19, 2011
I make it fix for ei parameter where block all places except YouTube video will work I watch 20 video and without errors
make this in notepad save how txt extension and import rules in AdGuard for Windows in user filters or add manual line by line in user filters.

Code:
! Block google tracking ei parameter
$removeparam=ei
! This is fix youtube video play with exclude ei parameter from filtering rule.
@@||youtube.com^$removeparam=ei
@@||googlevideo.com^$removeparam=ei

Now is complete tracking google parameters :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I make it fix for ei parameter where block all places except YouTube video will work I watch 20 video and without errors
make this in notepad save how txt extension and import rules in AdGuard for Windows in user filters or add manual line by line in user filters.

Code:
! This is fix youtube video play with exclude ei parameter from filtering rule.
$removeparam=ei

Now is complete tracking google parameters :cool:

So, in Adguard for desktop, I add back ei in "URL tracking parameters to remove" but add

$removeparam=ei

to the "Filtering rules"?

How about in uBO? Should I add them in "My filters" or "My rules"?

Thanks

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.