Adobe Reader--any reason not to uninstall?

What to do with Adobe Reader?

• Keep it

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Get rid of it

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Norton
This is new one to me... thanks @BoraMurdar
While true to some degree what @BoraMurdar said, i seen PDF's within a company network that where locked in such way that they only could be opened by AR and more specific a AR client installed on a client PC connected to that network.
Move the pdf to a computer with AR that is NOT connected to that network and the pdf cannot be opened.

H

hjlbx

@Nico@FMA does point out important consideration for commercial use; many times AR is specified in contract documents or agreements, but how many typical home users have that restriction imposed upon them ?

I've had loads of fun trying to use AR in IE Enhanced Protected Mode - so much so that I don't bother with either one anymore.

I have experience with official documents - with Professional Engineer's stamps, contracts, other legal documents - and every time AR was specified.

Plus, you had to agree to an external audit of IT systems.

OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Norton
@Nico@FMA does point out important consideration for commercial use; many times AR is specified in contract documents or agreements, but how many typical home users have that restriction imposed upon them ?

I've had loads of fun trying to use AR in IE Enhanced Protected Mode - so much so that I don't bother with either one anymore.
Agreed the odds that a home user gets restricted like that is virtually nill.
but industry wise i have yet to come across a foxit or sumatra pdf client being used for company internal pdf files.

BoraMurdar

Super Moderator
MalwareTips Staff
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
While true to some degree what @BoraMurdar said, i seen PDF's within a company network that where locked in such way that they only could be opened by AR and more specific a AR client installed on a client PC connected to that network.
Move the pdf to a computer with AR that is NOT connected to that network and the pdf cannot be opened.
Yeah, but I think this is another story, because one is securing PDFs from everyone without a digital signature and another unauthorized access for viewing a PDF, managed by an administrator. I have seen it in hospital laboratory when admins restricts opening a PDF from non-Adobe programs, security wise. Which is more a security hole than a security layer, knowing how much exploits Adobe products brings

OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Norton
Yeah, but I think this is another story, because one is securing PDFs from everyone without a digital signature and another unauthorized access for viewing a PDF, managed by an administrator. I have seen it in hospital laboratory when admins restricts opening a PDF from non-Adobe programs, security wise. Which is more a security hole than a security layer, knowing how much exploits Adobe products brings
Yes agreed buddy.

jamescv7

Level 61
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Adobe Reader is already not needed because of:
  • Highly targeted program until now for vulnerabilities.
  • Huge File size
Foxit Reader and few other alternatives can satisfy immediately because of reliability.

Forgot your password?