Adobe Reader--any reason not to uninstall?

What to do with Adobe Reader?

• Keep it

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Get rid of it

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
This is new one to me... thanks @BoraMurdar

While true to some degree what @BoraMurdar said, i seen PDF's within a company network that where locked in such way that they only could be opened by AR and more specific a AR client installed on a client PC connected to that network.
Move the pdf to a computer with AR that is NOT connected to that network and the pdf cannot be opened.

H

hjlbx

@Nico@FMA does point out important consideration for commercial use; many times AR is specified in contract documents or agreements, but how many typical home users have that restriction imposed upon them ?

I've had loads of fun trying to use AR in IE Enhanced Protected Mode - so much so that I don't bother with either one anymore.

I have experience with official documents - with Professional Engineer's stamps, contracts, other legal documents - and every time AR was specified.

Plus, you had to agree to an external audit of IT systems.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@Nico@FMA does point out important consideration for commercial use; many times AR is specified in contract documents or agreements, but how many typical home users have that restriction imposed upon them ?

I've had loads of fun trying to use AR in IE Enhanced Protected Mode - so much so that I don't bother with either one anymore.

Agreed the odds that a home user gets restricted like that is virtually nill.
but industry wise i have yet to come across a foxit or sumatra pdf client being used for company internal pdf files.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
While true to some degree what @BoraMurdar said, i seen PDF's within a company network that where locked in such way that they only could be opened by AR and more specific a AR client installed on a client PC connected to that network.
Move the pdf to a computer with AR that is NOT connected to that network and the pdf cannot be opened.
Yeah, but I think this is another story, because one is securing PDFs from everyone without a digital signature and another unauthorized access for viewing a PDF, managed by an administrator. I have seen it in hospital laboratory when admins restricts opening a PDF from non-Adobe programs, security wise. Which is more a security hole than a security layer, knowing how much exploits Adobe products brings

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Yeah, but I think this is another story, because one is securing PDFs from everyone without a digital signature and another unauthorized access for viewing a PDF, managed by an administrator. I have seen it in hospital laboratory when admins restricts opening a PDF from non-Adobe programs, security wise. Which is more a security hole than a security layer, knowing how much exploits Adobe products brings

Yes agreed buddy.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I use Chrome's built in PDF viewer.
Like you I just use Chrome and although I appreciate it may not be sufficient for some people it's fine for me.

Ditched Adobe Reader a long time ago and have never found any need to return to it.

Reactions: kev216

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
It is: heavy, buggy, full of exploits, vulnerable and old-fashioned. There are way better free and reliable alternatives: foxit, Sumatra, to name only 2 that are better than Adobe.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Adobe Reader is already not needed because of:
  • Highly targeted program until now for vulnerabilities.
  • Huge File size
Foxit Reader and few other alternatives can satisfy immediately because of reliability.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
You can remove it. Heavy and always want to update for some reasons or another. Use Foxit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.