Battle Ads Blocker compared

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Of course one being free is a huge encouragement, but please just evaluate the protection and consider as if they were both free.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Both can be free AdGuard extension (is mostly set and forget) and uBlock origin has a lot of options and modes you can use.
While i prefer AdGuard for it's filters I like uBlock Origin more because of all the options it has.
And you van use AdGuard filters in uBlock Origin, while great (and i do that) it's not the same.
For more info about uBlock Origin have a look at it's wiki: gorhill/uBlock

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I do not block ads, but Nano Adblocker is highly praised lately, as sort of a successor to uBlock Origin.
EDIT: Based on your comparison, check those, no adblocking (Emsisoft sends URL in hash instead of txt):

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
really? I didnt see a comparison on their websites listing differences between free/paid version but just selling a paid version, assumed that the free download was a trial.
Yep, they want to sell the full version to make a living, but you can only install the free extension as I did before:

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Both can be free AdGuard extension (is mostly set and forget) and uBlock origin has a lot of options and modes you can use.
While i prefer AdGuard for it's filters I like uBlock Origin more because of all the options it has.
And you van use AdGuard filters in uBlock Origin, while great (and i do that) it's not the same.
For more info about uBlock Origin have a look at it's wiki: gorhill/uBlock
my AdGuard filters in uBlock Origin (medium mode)
5207.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
my AdGuard filters in uBlock Origin (medium mode)
View attachment 214172
Thanks, I know you can do that.
But when I browse with AdGuard to Hardware.Info Nederland (for example) the European Cookie Notice is blocked by the annoyances filter.
With uBlock origin and the same filters the same notice is not blocked.
So AdGuard filters work well with uBlock Origin, but work better with AdGuard :D

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Thanks, I know you can do that.
But when I browse with AdGuard to Hardware.Info Nederland (for example) the European Cookie Notice is blocked by the annoyances filter.
So AdGuard filters work well with uBlock Origin, but work better with AdGuard :D
Yes, I used to run AdGuard browser extension (with NoScript) for AdGuard great! filters.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
You can subscribe to virtually any filter out there, I prefer "I don't care about cookies" to block notices.
Yep, they want to sell the full version to make a living, but you can only install the free extension as I did before:
The desktop version is a little better though, it blocks elements before they are downloaded (like DNS), the extension does it afterwards.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

On sites you frequent, these pop-ups and others e.g. "enable push notification" on MT, can easily be eliminated in uBO/Nano with specific rules created via "Block element" context function. Used like this you can use less filter lists or not depend on those you do use.

but Nano Adblocker is highly praised lately, as sort of a successor to uBlock Origin.

Yes it is, but as @Gandalf_The_Grey posted elsewhere, uBO seems to be optimized now with its frequent updates and performs as well or better than Nano. I have made the switch in all but old Edge browser.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@TairikuOkami I know of "I don't care about cookies" but the filterlist in uBlock Origin or AdGuard doesn't work on Hardware.Info Nederland
The extension does work, but is not available on Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Store.
I know I can install extension from the Google Chrome Store, but those notices don't bother me that much.
@oldschool Yes, nowadays I don't see the added value anymore for Nano. The original uBlock origin is good/great enough.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't agree :D

uBlock Origin is NOT an "ad blocker": it is a wide-spectrum blocker -- which happens to be able to function as a mere "ad blocker". The default behavior of uBlock Origin when newly installed is to block ads, trackers and malware sites -- through EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s ad/tracking/malware servers, various lists of malware sites, and uBlock Origin's own filter lists.

And if you want to do even more there is also uMatrix: gorhill/uMatrix

I have used uBlock Origin (for cosmetic filtering) and uMatrix (for the rest) together.
The best combo if you are the only one using your pc...

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have no idea of what everyone is talking about, what is this filters thing to be used in uBlock?
That's the problem when posting on a forum with geeks/enthusiasts :D

Just go with the default lists.

Later on if you want to do some more advanced blocking have a look at the wiki of uBlock (default is easy mode on the wiki)

But all of this is not needed, just other filters or modes can block more, but also can break more.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.