"Ads by ShowPassword" malware still alive

davidgzz

Level 1
Verified
Oct 12, 2013
well, my girlfriend had this same problem, and I found out it was an extension in chrome, just by deletting it (and passing ccleaner and malwarebytes) it seemed to work again

Dalgorn

Thread author
Verified
Jan 29, 2014
It doesn't works for me but thanx, I just deleted every chrome extension, run ccleaner and mbm but nothing :/

Dalgorn

Thread author
Verified
Jan 29, 2014
In the meantime... I was looking around and I saw under an ad the link "ad options"... I clicked there and... there is a link for deactivating the plugin (I can give you the page address but I don't write it here for now). Ok... now it seems to have deactivated the ads on the pages, but I still have several hyperlinks on the texts of the pages and some tabs that open automatically, so it is become less annoying but is still installed.

Dalgorn

Thread author
Verified
Jan 29, 2014
It's incredible... After having deactivated it from the button on the webpage I went another time in the control panel / uninstall programs and... I found "Ads by ShowPassword"!!!! (I really don't remember it in the list...): I've uninstalled it and... now it really seems to be disappeared! -.- Do you think I can consider it done?

Reactions: Koroke San

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Great to hear that it is not showing up now... Please use your computer for a while and check how it is going now.

Dalgorn

Thread author
Verified
Jan 29, 2014
Ok, I'll let you know if I'll notice something wrong, for now it seems to be all ok. I'll write here again in a coupe of days.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Great to hear that it is looks good now... Please use your computer and let me know if you found something.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.