Advice Request Advice about Hitmanpro Alert

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
What AV complements Hitmanpro Alert best? I have on 3 differant computers 1. Symantec endpoint -2. Eset/with Voodoshield -and 3.Kaspersky Total security w/Trusted application mode on.Advice appreciated,thanks,I am willing to change a AV if its worth it.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
What AV complements Hitmanpro Alert best? I have on 3 differant computers 1. Symantec endpoint -2. Eset/with Voodoshield -and 3.Kaspersky Total security w/Trusted application mode on.Advice appreciated,thanks,I am willing to change a AV if its worth it.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware. I am using right now this combo with great succes. I think on adding VS Pro.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

What AV complements Hitmanpro Alert best? I have on 3 differant computers
1. Symantec endpoint -2. Eset/with Voodoshield -and 3.Kaspersky Total security w/Trusted application mode on.Advice appreciated,thanks,I am willing to change a AV if its worth it.
Why HMPA? 🤔Your three AVs/suites have everything in one. VS is overkill with Eset. Use OS hardening instead. Best advice is to keep things simple. :cool:
+1

PC 1- has all you need, btw it is SEP managed or unmanaged?
PC 2- VS won't add any value, ah yes unless you like more alerts...
PC3- has already some anti-exploits capabilities.

So basically by adding HMPA, you add:
- more resources usages
- more issues

Stop stockpiling softs and instead learn how to tighten your security softs and how to use Windows Exploit Protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Unless you know for a fact a bad guy is targeting you, you would be spending a bit of cash. So if running latest Windows 10, (like 1909), I would pass on HitmanPro.Alert. It's a powerful application but with a little bit of your time and effort, you can harden the OS effectively without money spent. It's what I did. If one is risky online, and/or working a lot with vulnerable software like flash player or old Java plugins, running Windows 7 past January 14, 2020, then HMP.A probably merits serious consideration.

Based on my experience, one good update somewhere with resident security software and HMP.A could bork something or give you some humdingers of false positives. :poop: I kinda have anti-exploit withdrawal sometimes, though. Is anyone using Malwarebytes' standalone anti-exploit? Has that been tested anywhere recently, and if so, is it worth it to get? Does it work on Windows 10?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is anyone using Malwarebytes' standalone anti-exploit? Has that been tested anywhere recently, and if so, is it worth it to get? Does it work on Windows 10?

There are users over @Wilders but it doesn't get much mention one way or the other here on MT. I've used it on and off but I've seen no reports of testing. It's lightweight, unobtrusive and kind of a sleeper free app. Probably less powerful than HMPA but also not prone to bugs and system incompatibilities. I don't know how it compares to Windows built-in either. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again and I advise it to others for the above reasons. I even put it on my Sister-in-law's laptop when I set it up during her last visit, and she lives 1,000 miles away. I believe @Umbra views it favorably - if you can believe that guy! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I believe @Umbra views it favorably - if you can believe that guy! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
It didn't really attract me, was very simple to use, not much tweaks. I have a MBAM premium lifetime license and I have hard time to decide where to put it.
But at least, It didn't break anything Unlike HMPA.

My advice is still the same: in security less is often better. Keep it simple.

"This is the way"

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Why HMPA? 🤔Your three AVs/suites have everything in one. VS is overkill with Eset. Use OS hardening instead. Best advice is to keep things simple. :cool:
Thanks for your advice,well spoken

+1

PC 1- has all you need, btw it is SEP managed or unmanaged?
PC 2- VS won't add any value, ah yes unless you like more alerts...
PC3- has already some anti-exploits capabilities.

So basically by adding HMPA, you add:
- more resources usages
- more issues

Stop stockpiling softs and instead learn how to tighten your security softs and how to use Windows Exploit Protection.
Thanks for your advice

Unless you know for a fact a bad guy is targeting you, you would be spending a bit of cash. So if running latest Windows 10, (like 1909), I would pass on HitmanPro.Alert. It's a powerful application but with a little bit of your time and effort, you can harden the OS effectively without money spent. It's what I did. If one is risky online, and/or working a lot with vulnerable software like flash player or old Java plugins, running Windows 7 past January 14, 2020, then HMP.A probably merits serious consideration.

Based on my experience, one good update somewhere with resident security software and HMP.A could bork something or give you some humdingers of false positives. :poop: I kinda have anti-exploit withdrawal sometimes, though. Is anyone using Malwarebytes' standalone anti-exploit? Has that been tested anywhere recently, and if so, is it worth it to get? Does it work on Windows 10?
Thanks for your advice

Reactions: oldschool and JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.