Advice for buying an antivirus

GabiCRX

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Hey guys, me and a friend of mine want to buy an antivirus, and my options are: GData, Trend Micro and Norton.
What av from my list do you recommend?
If it's another av, please say why!
My friend is regular user, does know about HIPS, BB, Sandboxie or Cloud.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
We need to know something more about specs of destination PC like used Windows version RAM available, CPU etc.

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Hey guys, me and a friend of mine want to buy an antivirus, and my options are: GData, Trend Micro and Norton.
My friend is regular user, does know about HIPS, BB, Sandboxie or Cloud.
From this 3 i would go with Norton. The new notron line is amazing light and have a good protection and is a realy stable product. g-data is nice too,there bb is quit nice. im not sure about trend mirco, its a good av but i just dont like it, dont know why. if i would u, i would choose avast free costume install, more than enough. dont need to pay for an av these days.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

From the three products you want us to choose it's Norton, they had high-resource usage before 10 years but rest assured it's really very very light right now. I've tried it for about a month and it's good, but if you want better protection then I would tell you to buy Bitdefender AV Plus/ IS/ TS depending on your needs from http://www.anti-virus4u.com/
You can buy a 2014 key (for some reason the 2015 keys are more expensive but they do work) and you should be able to use it on 2015 version. I have a key since 2012 version and it can be used. If for some reason you don't like Bitdefender o_O than Emsisoft is also very good but it will ask you some questions from Mamutu behavioural module( something like a HIPS). Eset is light and have very good features but the protection beyond signatures is not one of the best. Every week or two he can scan with Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and Kaspersky TDSS Killer just to be sure but these AVs are really the best. Also Kaspersky. After all, you can't really go wrong with the AVs i told you about. And the Windows Firewall is one of the best, if not the best so you can just use an AV and not a IS suite if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viper007

Level 3
Verified
May 27, 2014
i would recommend ESET or emsisoft antimalware they have always had top scores in my malware tests they have great detection, they are both light on the system and user friendly.

Last edited:

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Trend Micro - Easy to use , good protection. but heavy on system compared to others.

ESET - Easy to use, good protection, light on system.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

ESET or Emsisoft or Norton ( Just for awesome Sonar :p)

Well Bitdefender's Active Virus Control and B-Have are awesome and BD has the best web blocker and antiphishing. The same is true for Emsisoft, with their really good signatures from Bitdefender, their own signatures for more specific threats, the excellent Mamutu Behaviour blocker. But i don't think ESET has a good proactive protection. From those AVs please change ESET reccomendatios with Kaspersky, it might be becoming more resource-consuming AV but it's not going to affect the user with that PC.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
4 gold products: Kaspersky, ESET, Norton and avast! .
Whatever you choose, you will be successfully protected.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
ALL 3 programs has trial versions which you can install and see which program is better for your system.
The best suggestion for you (or your friend) is : TRY before you BUY.
But according to what most of the people say, Eset and Emsisoft are top of the class (performance/detection/prevention and PRICE)

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

4 gold products: Kaspersky, ESET, Norton and avast! .
Whatever you choose, you will be successfully protected.

Since version 8 Avast has continually degraded in protection and really i have no idea why that happened. It's still one of the most popular products, and the most popular free one. Good free AV with many features and somewhat average to good protection, but i don't recommend you to buy it, if you want to spend money then buy Bitdefender, Emsisoft or Norton. Or Kaspersky. I believe that four products deserve to spend money on them and you can't go wrong with either one, just note that the Norton SONAR proactive module needs internet connection for optimal protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

My best advice is to TRY before you BUY.
Most software offer 14 to 30-days trials without limitations.

Alternatively, you can continue to use any recognised Free Antivirus software. Paid does not mean better.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.