Advice for buying an antivirus

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
Check out AppGuard,before buying any AV/AM :p.

This might be Fake AV;buy Eset Smart Security. ;)

Typo
tooth.gif
, sorry about that
cheers.gif

Reactions: Welldone

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Wouldn't buy Norton ever again. Don't get me wrong, Symantec is an amazing IT Security company, but their products are still not worth it even as of today. Also, it's low detection ratio would be enough to keep me away from it. Also, their sales support is TERRIBLE as they always try to sell you a higher package level whenever you want to support or to renew a product.
G-Data : Don't know enough about the product to make you a recommendation.
Trend Micro : Way too many false detections, just check the AV-Comparative tests. Also, I see more Trend Micro as a "business" Antivirus more than a "consumer" Antivirus so I wouldn't buy it either.

In my opinion, there's only two Antiviruses companies that are worth buying products for and they are Kaspersky and ESET. Yes of course Avast and Avira are also good Antiviruses, but they are good free Antiviruses, not paid. When it comes to paid Antiviruses, you'll want to go with either Kaspersky or ESET. Plus depending of you live, their products can be ridiculously cheap. 3 licences of Kasperky PURE 3.0 for $25. You don't see that everywhere.

D

Deleted member 21043

I recommend you use ESET or Emsisoft. I have 6gb RAM and it works very well and does not slow down my PC. It isn't the lightest AV, it can use a bit of ram... But, it doesn't slow down my PC (anymore). The only problem I have with Emsisoft is the engine is signature based only however they also have heuristics/one of the best behaviour blockers I've ever seen for a anti-malware product. I get linked to FUDs by friends before they end up uploaded online and I haven't had one where Emsisoft behaviour blocker has not detected it... Its meant to be FUD (from the signatures at least). :)

ESET is also a good Anti-Malware and it usually works well from what I have heard, but I have never used it so... Hopefully people can fill you in for ESET.

Like @Huracan said, you can test most products for 14-30 days. You can test Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security for up to 30 days. If you want that extra protection get the IS. However, you do not have to spend any money if you would like a Antivirus. There is always Avast, and it also works very well. In fact, it worked better than Emsisoft with performance. Before I got handed out a free Emsisoft key I used Avast on my system and it protected me well.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra
I

illumination

I agree with the others that suggested to "Try" them before you buy, download trials, run them on your system for a little bit, see how they work for you, your needs, and with your system resources.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
I've tested almost all the av the you guys mentioned and GData and Trend Micro impressed me.
Norton it's kind of slow on protection.
Emsisoft and Kaspersky are using BB and HIPS and my friend it's an average user, Bitdefender it's too buggy, ESET needs more improvement.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I've tested almost all the av the you guys mentioned and GData and Trend Micro impressed me.
Emsisoft and Kaspersky are using BB and HIPS and my friend it's an average user, Bitdefender it's too buggy, ESET needs more improvement.
Indeed, Eset needs to improve it's HIPS module!
Really impressed with G Data at the moment!

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Between Gdata and TrendMicro you should choose Gdata for the average user because Trend Micro may ask your friend some questions in certain situations. That's what i've heard, one of the very few AVs i haven't tried is TrendMicro. I don't think that Bitdefender is buggy, just their support is awfull. And you can't ask for a good antivirus in these days without a Behaviour Blocker.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
You can take a try with Tiranium, only 10€ for 6 months ;-)
You can try it on Tiranium-AntiVirus.com :)
Tiranium is promising av, but it does need more improvements: on computer high RAM and CPU usage, UI, a firewall and remove the ad.

Reactions: Edward ST

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Tiranium is promising av, but it does need more improvements: on computer high RAM and CPU usage, UI, a firewall and remove the ad.

Tiranium is improved everyday :)
Today:
30 MB Total Ram Usage.
0,05% CPU on activity usage on i7

We have a firewall with multiple settings.

The one-per-day ad, you need to pay the premium (10€) to remove it, it's appear only one time per day.

If you have more ideas to improve you can talk to me when you want as private message :)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I understand that you're working on x64 system. If so then I would suggest:
- MSE (native x64 version)
- UAC to max
- EMET with recommended settings
- CryptoPrevent
- HitmanPro (or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) as on demand scanner
- common sense
and you're done.

You really don't need to spend money on security products - better go buy some beer ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.