(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data: 0
Data Stream: 0
Folder: 0
File: 6
PUP.Optional.Funmoods, C:\USERS\USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\Web Data, No Action By User, [801], [455241],1.0.3204
FraudTool.YAC, C:\USERS\USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\Web Data, No Action By User, [6393], [455252],1.0.3204
PUP.Optional.Funmoods, C:\USERS\USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\Web Data, No Action By User, [801], [455241],1.0.3204
Adware.Elex.ShrtCln, C:\USERS\USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\Secure Preferences, No Action By User, [2309], [454731],1.0.3204
FraudTool.YAC, C:\USERS\USER\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\Web Data, No Action By User, [6393], [455252],1.0.3204
Physical Sector: 0

(end)

Reactions: lowdetection

D303

Thread author
Nov 8, 2017
I have the same problem.... Adware.Elex.ShrtCln
I bought MalwareBytes premium, however it cannot remove the infection... what should I do?
My version is 3.3.1

I ended up removing the Adware.Elex.ShrtCln. But only after un-installing Google Chrome. Malware Bytes premium 3.2.2 could not remove the virus. Hitman could not remove or find the virus. Zemana Antimalware did sort of find it, and said it removed it after a restart, but it came back. The only way I could remove the virus so far, was by removing google chrome. I hate using Microsoft Edge as a browser, so I am very disappointed that Malware Bytes Premium could not remove the virus. I will try and re-install Google Chrome at some point maybe.

Reactions: lowdetection

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Can you update MalwareBytes to the latest version and perform another scan?

1234-png.172468

Reactions: D303

Mike Edwards

Nov 10, 2017
I am having the same exact problem.. I did not remove chrome as I depend on it too much. Malwarebytes finds this every night during the scan. I tell it to remove it every morning and it always comes back. I have attempted ADWCleaner which couldn't find it. I have searched for programs with funmoods in the name as well as registry entries, services, and scheduled tasks. I could find nothing.

And I did follow the previous posters request of manually updating malwarebytes. Rescanned, and it came back.. Here is the report...

-Software Information-
Version: 3.3.1.2183
Components Version: 1.0.236
Update Package Version: 1.0.3224
License: Premium

File: 3
PUP.Optional.Funmoods, C:\USERS\LES\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, No Action By User, [801], [455240],1.0.3224
PUP.Optional.Funmoods, C:\USERS\LES\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Web Data, No Action By User, [801], [455240],1.0.3224

Last edited:

StuB

Nov 10, 2017
I'm having the same problem with Binkiland, Spigot, and Speedial. Hitman and Adwcleaner both say my system is clean, but Malwarebytes keeps finding these but can't remove them.

D303

Thread author
Nov 8, 2017
Hello,

1234-png.172468
Thank you for the reply. Attached is my latest scan using MalwareIbytes 3.3.1. I have removed the virus after many scans and re-tries. I did browse through this website yesterday, and noticed a few other Adware.Elex.ShrtCln posts.
2 days ago I totally removed Google Chrome from my PC and today I downloaded everything from Hitman Pro to Kaspersky. I re-installed Google Chrome this morning and re-stored to default, and it look liked the virus returned straight away.
Malwarebytes (Premium) actually found 4 items after the install of Chrome, but they were not 'Adware.Elex.ShrtCln' after the new re-install. They were 'Fun Moods' or 'Facemoods' viruses. (They aren't actually classed as Severe Viruses, but they can cause problems). Hitman Pro was the program that actually removed the 'suspicious item' from the Google Chrome search settings and all viruses were gone.

I can only recommend to try Hitman Pro with Malwarebytes Premium, remove Chrome, re-install it, then re-scan with both programs.

Hello,

1234-png.172468

Attachments

• No Virus.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 2

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
You can disable only Setting sync. After that uninstall chrome, install it again and login to your Google Account. I am confident this will stop syncing it. Yes it is a stupid logic from Google not to be able to manually delete something from your Sync.

1234.png

Wilfredo Martinez

Nov 14, 2017
I have tried all the solutions above and the virus, or a false positive keeps reappearing. Maybe I did something wrong? I did not: delete my browsing history while uninstalling (it was not mentioned above) and when I reinstalled Chrome I was already signed in to Google? Should I try again and do these things?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
When you uninstall Chrome, make sure to delete Google folder from these locations:

%localappdata%
%programdata%
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)

dmurphy

Nov 19, 2017
I am running into the exact same issue(s) that are listed here and although I've tried a million different things, it still keeps coming back when I reinstall Chrome. :-/

dmurphy

Nov 19, 2017
Thanks for that info'. Although that partly works (resetting the Google sync), that would not totally remove it.
I had to couple resetting the sync with also deleting the 'Web Data' file located in Windows here:

C:\Users\youralias\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

Once I deleted the 'Web Data' file after the sync, then I was able to finally get rid of it via MalwareBytes and it hasn't come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.