Solved Adware (on Steam) Remaining after Malware Attack

Tyler Free

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 19, 2016
Hello, this is my first time posting here. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong on my post, though I tried to read the instructions of posting before doing so.

I am having an issue with adware from the remainder of a malware attack on my computer. I don't believe there is malware remaining on my computer, though I wouldn't say I'm an expert to confirm that. However, I do have something constantly placing adware popups on Steampowered.com, which is the Valve Corporation's game marketplace website for Steam. These popups appear on all web browsers, as well as the Steam browser. I have taken steps to remove this adware, to no avail. I have attempted to reset my Internet settings on Internet Explorer and Chrome, reset Sync settings, uninstall Steam and delete htmlcache files for Steam, but nothing has worked. I have used a multitude of Anti-virus cleaners and scanners, finding nothing most of the time, aside from the recent find on the AdwCleaner log, which has not fixed the problem, though the folder looks sketchy all the same, leading me to believe that there is still an active adware program on my computer, but, like I said, I'm no expert. That's why I'm here.

If there is any more information needed, please let me know and I will get back to you very soon. I have been fighting this adware tooth and nail for the past few days now and will be watching my thread as closely as I can. I also want to thank any assistance given beforehand and appreciate any insight and help received from this forum.

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[C4].txt
    2 KB · Views: 0
  • Addition.txt
    69.7 KB · Views: 1
  • aswMBR.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FRST.txt
    94.5 KB · Views: 1

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: DardiM

Tyler Free

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 19, 2016
Hello. Thank you for your reply. Here is the Fixlog.txt. Also, I stopped getting ads on Steam around 2 hours after I posted this yesterday, so I wasn't sure if I was only experiencing some residual ads from an already deleted adware. All the same, I needed to get a fix, just in case.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 1

Tyler Free

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 19, 2016
So far, so good here. I do appreciate your help, and noticing the fixlog.txt, it seemed that there were still some remnants of hidden browser extensions and whatnot, so I am glad I managed to find this forum and get your help. :) If I have any more issues, should I reply to this thread or a new one?

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.