After 7+ years i've stopped using Chrome

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You can use Yandex browser if you want this feature.
You should never ever use Firefox. horrible security+ not good bug bounty like chromium+ reputable security researchers work on chrome /chromium(like 360 team) but none of them works around FF so it's possible that ff has bugs that not discovered yet. Chrome sandbox is 10x more advanced than the FF sandbox. ff is not an option for anyone who wants security.
These aren't valid reasons not to use Firefox. Horrible security according to who? To what study? Chrome browsing security can be outperformed by BitDefender TrafficLight (which is available for FF too), the fact their bounty program is not as big is maybe because they're not supported by one of the biggest tech companies in the world? (if not the biggest). The fact that known researchers work for Google doesn't mean Firefox is "horrible" at security.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've tried Firefox, Pale Moon, Chromium, Seamonkey, Slimjet, Edge, and Waterfox for at least a month each, but I always end up using Firefox as my main browser and Chromium-based Slimjet as my secondary. I just find that Firefox has the best interface and extension ecosystem for me, even though it uses more RAM on my laptop than Chromium browsers.

If you really like Chrome but find it too heavy, Slimjet, which is based on it, is very light and blazing fast, and it can use most Chrome/ium add-ons too. The portable version works great for me.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

These aren't valid reasons not to use Firefox. Horrible security according to who?
Black Hat contests? not ringing a bell? FF (pre-quantum) always used to get pawned in less than 5mn, Chrome was even not listed since it would takes too long...
I didn't follow the latest ones, hopefully for the FF users, its sandbox should make it harder.

To what study? Chrome browsing security can be outperformed by BitDefender TrafficLight (which is available for FF too),
ummmm... FF uses Chrome Safebrowsing, that sum it all.

the fact their bounty program is not as big is maybe because they're not supported by one of the biggest tech companies in the world?
that is the whole point why Chrome is way ahead of FF in term of security. Note that "way ahead" doesn't mean the one behind is bad, just less good...

The fact that known researchers work for Google doesn't mean Firefox is "horrible" at security.
indeed, but if i have Tony Stark to make my armored suit, my suit would be more advanced than one made by Bruce Banner.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Black Hat contests? not ringing a bell? FF (pre-quantum) always used to get pawned in less than 5mn, Chrome was even not listed since it would takes too long...
I didn't follow the latest ones, hopefully for the FF users, its sandbox should make it harder.
There's no point claiming a browser has horrible security if you mention tests done with the previous versions of it...

Of course Google Chrome uses Google SafeBrowsing, and it's great, no point in denying such. But if I want scam, malware and phishing detection I can always install TrafficLight which has shown better results in the tests done here along time.

But anyways, it's known Chrome will always have better security because Google can invest the $$ to hire the best and to put great bounty programs; NOT MEANING Firefox is "horrible at security".

And I insist, it's not about "Firefox is better ditch Chrome". They are different solutions for different needs: one focused on speed and efficiency, the other one focused on privacy. Is one better than the other? Probably, one will have advatages and disadvantages over the other. If I was concerned Firefox represented a potential threat to my security I would for sure ditch it, but it doesn't, it's just behind Chrome in terms of general protection, nothing that can't be solved with external manipulation.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Google dev's and tester have rewritten the book on reuse (be humble use what is already available) and (automated) testing. Google has the lowest bugs per 1000 lines of code (at least of the companies which have a QA process and share their testing data results), they are leading in (automated) regression testing and re-use of code and corresponding unit testing for system, acceptance and production tests.

Combined with the good bug bounty program it is hard to find a company building software with less bugs and higher code quality than Google. Although not a 1-on-1 iron casted relation, better code reuse and better regression testing should result in safer software (less unknown bugs which could be exploited). As far as I know, Edge-chromium is the only contender here, because of the tricks Microsoft applies (pre-loading Edge) and integration with Windows Defender exploit protection (by enabling Code Integrity Guard for Edge) and option in Windows 10 Pro and higher to run Edge sandboxed (virtualized) with Windows Device Application Guard.
Unfortunately, Exploit Protection breaks Chrome and Chromium-based browsers every few updates.

Weird that he'd have YouTube problems on Chrome when it likely should be the opposite. Maybe he did something to Chrome or to the system that affects Chrome which got fixed by moving to a fresh new browser, not neccessarily by moving to Firefox.

indeed, but if i have Tony Stark to make my armored suit, my suit would be more advanced than one made by Bruce Banner.
Also that Firefox users are less common and nerdier than Chrome probably balances things.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

There's no point claiming a browser has horrible security if you mention tests done with the previous versions of it...
btw, FF was pawned at a recent hacking event. Firefox and Edge Fall to Hackers on Day Two of Pwn2Own
Anyway the point isn't than Chrome or FF is invulnerable, the point is to be most secure, and security is mostly mitigating and fixing discovered vulnerabilities, and Chrome, for many obvious reasons, is on top.
hackers rather report their successful attack to google because of the bounty instead of selling it in the Dark Net.

Of course Google Chrome uses Google SafeBrowsing, and it's great, no point in denying such. But if I want scam, malware and phishing detection I can always install TrafficLight which has shown better results in the tests done here along time[...]
nothing that can't be solved with external manipulation.
We are talking about the browser out-of-the-box. not improved by extensions or tools.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
We are talking about the browser out-of-the-box. not improved by extensions or tools.
Well, this being the case we could all use Linux or MacOS that were proven to be "safer" that Windows "out of the box", still here we are. Of course Chrome will always be more secure (unless Mozilla is suddenly acquired by Microsoft which will probably never happen); but Firefox is meant usually for another kind of public. Usually doesn't come as an addition in an installer, is not usually top #1 in public sites reviews and isn't advertised in #1 search engine. So, most likely Firefox users, aforementioned by @Handsome Recluse are a bit nerdier or IT-related, meaning the security bonus Chrome has to offer will not be such a difference, probably because Firefox will be tuned up according to security and privacy needs.

But, as you mention, Chrome will always be on top of Firefox when it comes to funding different teams. If my main concern was purely security, I would for sure go for Chrome. Since I find my ways to complement the lack of top-class security in Firefox, I don't really need Google's browser. Still, I recommend it to begginers that will for sure not tweak Firefox, and to those which primary concern is security.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Well, this being the case we could all use Linux or MacOS that were proven to be "safer" that Windows "out of the box", still here we are.
because since decades people started computing with Windows on their machines, i have both Windows and Linux on different machines, if it wasn't for MS Office or some computer manufacturers making drivers only for Windows, i will be fully on Linux or Chrome OS which is the most secure for casual uses (means no gaming, no editing, etc...). Look at MacOS or Linux users, ask them to go back Windows, they won't or they will reluctantly because they are used to the security and stability those OSes offers.
Windows now is more adequate for gaming or offices machines, Average Joe is better with Chrome OS or a tablet, geeks are better with Linux, graphists and designers are already on MacOS.

Of course Chrome will always be more secure (unless Mozilla is suddenly acquired by Microsoft which will probably never happen); but Firefox is meant usually for another kind of public
Usually doesn't come as an addition in an installer, is not usually top #1 in public sites reviews and isn't advertised in #1 search engine. So, most likely Firefox users, aforementioned by @Handsome Recluse are a bit nerdier or IT-related
Not true, FF was and still is for everyone, now if they don't advertise themselves it is their choice.
It is not because some users are geeks and tweak FF, that in suddenly it becomes a browser for nerds.

meaning the security bonus Chrome has to offer will not be such a difference, probably because Firefox will be tuned up according to security and privacy needs..
Your argument comparing a tweaked FF with a out-of-the-box Chrome is wrong; you don't compare a tuned car with a factory one.
If you can Tweak FF for security so do i with Chrome, i can set additional security tweaks like Appcontainer (unavailable in FF) using Chrome's Flags, so tweaked Chrome will still be way more secure than tweaked FF.

But, as you mention, Chrome will always be on top of Firefox when it comes to funding different teams.
Indeed, most hackers/pentesters will always put more efforts to break Chrome and report their findings to Google because they will get paid handsomely instead risking being sued if they sell the exploit in the darknet.

If my main concern was purely security, I would for sure go for Chrome. Since I find my ways to complement the lack of top-class security in Firefox, I don't really need Google's browser. Still, I recommend it to beginners that will for sure not tweak Firefox, and to those which primary concern is security.
Except the privacy part (which is overrated to me, even FF tried to collect and share datas but went under a deluge of criticism) , i don't see what FF afford more than Chrome, in the past it was heavy customizations but now FF is more like Chrome than anything else.
Years ago, i shifted to Chrome from FF because FF was tremendously lacking in security but i tried it again when they implemented their sandbox, but i found nothing really appealing, it was even less customizable than before and looks like a Chrome's clone (too many similarities with the design and features) .
Even now im testing FF to see the changes (especially those recents announced ones) but honestly the differences are minimal, not like before when FF could be totally distinguishable from Chrome at first sight.
I lost faith on FF long ago but im still open, after all it was my first browser.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I figured I'd post this here instead of starting a new thread. Chef-Koch (Make sure to scroll all the way down) I think this guy gives a fairly neutral evaluation of the major browser APIs. See especially the last section on Edge Chromium. His remarks lend themselves to this entire discussion of privacy and security.(y)(y) And yes, even @Umbra might agree with him. ;)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Opera #1 now for me.

I like Opera and Firefox best, I only use Chrome for games, its sluggish on youtube and web browsing, BUT I checked my memory usage, seems like Chrome has gotten way ligher on RAM since 4-6 yrs ago when I used to check up/compare browsers.

Firefox seems to have doubled in RAM usage, is that why its smooth and fast its taking the RAM? ;)

Last edited:

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Opera #1 now for me.

I like Opera and Firefox best, I only use Chrome for games, its sluggish on youtube and web browsing, BUT I checked my memory usage, seems like Chrome has gotten way ligher on RAM since 4-6 yrs ago when I used to check up/compare browsers.

Firefox seems to have doubled in RAM usage, is that why its smooth and fast its taking the RAM? ;)
We have to keep in mind that not all products and pcs are the same. In other words, we cant expect every product to have the same effects to all the pcs.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Umbra You forgot to discuss the Chrome Web Store wild west shenanigans.
honestly, i dont even bother with it. The maximum time i spent on it was 15mn (years ago), since i sync my few extensions...everytime i clean install my system, Chrome sync them, i dont need to go to the Chrome store.

Reactions: KonradPL

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
I gave a chance to FF, so i used it for over a month. Crashing, tabs freezing, video stream feels heavy. I am not surprised market share is getting worse for FF.

Chrome is on another level, no wonder everyone is doing chrome clones nowadays. I can't remember last time chrome froze or even crash, everything work very smooth.

btw google is paying big bucks to FF for default search engine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.