AV-TEST After all the Windows 11 security touting, Microsoft Defender comes last in AV-TEST's result

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Ever since Windows 11 came out, Microsoft has made a big fuss over why its new operating system is the most secure Windows OS ever. The company constantly nudges users who are on older Windows versions, like Windows 10 21H1 or Windows 8.1, to move over to Windows 11.

However, anti-malware assessment firm AV-TEST found that the performance of Microsoft Defender was pretty mediocre in its latest August 2022 report. This was the first such test conducted on Windows 11 and Defender came in last place as it scored just 16 points. Thankfully for Microsoft, it was not alone here, as PC Matic also got the same score.

You can view the full breakdown of the scores as well as the product certification they received in the images below:

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

It is good marketing for AV-Test

This NEOWIN headline sentence referring to an objective test of one of the top-tier testing organizations proofs all Microsoft critics right.

At last those critics think, saying to themselves, I told you so while the rush to AV-test to check the results themselves.

AV-test website hit ratings went through the roof,

Thanks NEOWIN (y)

I feel stupid now using MD on my wife's Win11 laptop :D

This 2021 test of techspot (link) showed that Windows11 Virtual Based Security was responsible for a 2% performance drop on an i3 and a 7% performance drop on an I9, so the slower performance didi not hit me as a complete surprise, but the lower protection score did surprise me.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Defender came in last place
Sarcastic Boy Meets World GIF

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It is good marketing for AV-Test

:D

This 2021 test of techspot (link) showed that Windows11 Virtual Based Security was responsible for a 2% performance drop on an i3 and a 7% performance drop on an I9, so the slower performance didi not hit me as a complete surprise, but the lower protection score did surprise me.
a common chant (rant) about these testers = "...grain of salt." I'm not familiar with how AV-Test conducts its tests (eyeballing it over 75% av are "top rated"). I was thinking the "marketing ploy" was to keep the 3d-party av companies in business as MS Defender gets better free of additional cost to user. :unsure: I just skimmed the AV-Test website and I did not gain any insight into their "transparent" procedures?? Protection they scored Defender 5.5 along with Trend Micro and Vipre. How "bad" is that?? Defender does not "feel" slow at the keyboard on win10_vm.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I was recently suspended for making "national slurs" against the U.S. and the UK. Is doing the same to Russia (and even China, given references to Chinese-based software companies in various threads in this forum) allowed?

As for this topic, I'm guessing that most software now meet criteria that I also read in some threads and even fora, i.e., the chances of being attacked by ransomware is small, so most security programs are fine. Or is that point questionable?

Finally, if not, then I'd look at performance impact.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.