Agnitium Outpost Firewall is dead

Have you used Outpost Firewall before?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
On the usefulness of a FW I agree with you, but on the part of Hips outpost must say it was really a very good product. I honestly do not understand the utility of acquiring it to make it disappear.
Resources & development cost, employees and Devs are rerouted to the main product, no more support team needed for it, no need to maintain the website/forum, etc...

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Outpost Firewall - RIP
Online Armor - RIP(?) (part of Emsisoft main security products)
Privatefirewall - RIP

Well, I like COMODO Firewall... but what if I didn't? I certainly liked when there were viable firewall choices around. :/

Now all that's left, aside from COMODO (when referring to network firewalls) is ZoneAlarm and BiniSoft (i.e. Windows Firewall).

Worthwhile alternatives, although not as feature-packed as OPF or OA. :( (CFW/OA/OPF include HIPS modules as well, which was/is a great strength for them)

Thread author
On the usefulness of a FW I agree with you, but on the part of Hips outpost must say it was really a very good product. I honestly do not understand the utility of acquiring it to make it disappear.

The party that acquired Outpost products does not sell to consumers.

Thread author
Guys, relax you can always use the Agnitum Outpost firewall. It is not dead but you won`t receive any update. On my Windows 7 runs smoothly & i don`t need updates for it, it is just a very good & advanced FW.

;)

Cheer up, it is still alive in our PCs. :)

I wouldn't use a product for which development has completely ceased. It will probably work OK for a while, especially on W8.1 and earlier since they are not evolving as fast as W10.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
EmsiSoft also saved one of the 3 from death and is incorporated into EIS
if I am not mistaken. ;)
They are only going extinct as "standalone" software

Reactions: AtlBo

Thread author
It is a pretty much the case that the most capable security softs generally don't earn vast sums of money - and hence are dropped by the smaller publishers. For one, the more capable products are perceived as security geek softs. The typical person that will spend money on a security soft wants something at about the same complexity and reliability as Windows Defender - but with better protection capabilities. Good luck on that one... that's why so many people are dissatisfied with security softs. Security softs generate among the highest complaint rates of all consumer products.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I wouldn't use a product for which development has completely ceased. It will probably work OK for a while, especially on W8.1 and earlier since they are not evolving as fast as W10.
well what development has occured with the windows firewall for example.?.does windows firewall receive updates because i dont recall any.Yet windows firewall has been going for years so why should outpost be any different.

Reactions: AtlBo

Thread author
well what development has occured with the windows firewall for example.?.does windows firewall receive updates because i dont recall any.Yet windows firewall has been going for years so why should outpost be any different.

MS has made adjustments to WFwAS over the years. It hasn't received any feature updates, but there have been changes - even if only minor.

Try using Private Firewall - which is "Win10 compatible" - with a lot of different softs. There are breakages. There are newly introduced bugs with each new version of Win10.

Abandoned software has no vulnerability checks, no updates whatsoever, no bug fixes, etc, etc.

It makes no sense to use abandoned software - just like it makes no sense to use an abandoned OS like XP.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Online Armor - RIP(?) (part of Emsisoft main security products)
yes it is dead to me, they clearly said they abandoneed it because too much support and not enough incomes from it.
The FW in EIS has almost nothing to do with it, they just use some bit of OA code and then build a FW from scratch.

Now all that's left, aside from COMODO (when referring to network firewalls) is ZoneAlarm and BiniSoft (i.e. Windows Firewall).

Binisoft is not a standalone FW for me, it is just an advanced GUI based on Windows Firewall.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
They purchased the Online Armor rights from Tall Emu. Online Armor was originally a Tall Emu product. Tall Emu self-imploded.
yep then Matousec banned OA from their test because Tall Emu didn't pay the test :rolleyes:

No visible updates but many underlying improvements compared to Win7 which is weak , i won't use any Win7 native security unlike with Win10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.