Alternative to MCShield?

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
Does anyone here know of some good (updated) alternatives to MCShield? It seems as if it was a good piece of software but considering it hasn't been updated in years I'm simply not willing to use it. (I would advise everyone from using it..)

If you happen to have any good alternatives please let me know!

Elpibe

Level 3
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I dont know how effective "Avs for USB" are, but you can use a soft like Panda vaccine to dont let the usb to autorun when connected, and an on-demand scanner to see if its infected before execute something.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
It is only for USB malwares and the technique for spreading malware through USB hasn't changed much, so there is no need to update it.
SmadAV is good alternative.

It's not much about technique in-which it protects but the methods/forms of software has changed and vulnerabilities do persist for older software - which is one of my biggest concerns.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Does anyone here know of some good (updated) alternatives to MCShield? It seems as if it was a good piece of software but considering it hasn't been updated in years I'm simply not willing to use it. (I would advise everyone from using it..)

If you happen to have any good alternatives please let me know!
Some AVs come with USB protection feature. You can use that.

As for alternative to MCShield you can use USB Disk Security. Just uncheck to prevent it installing some PUP and use its USB protection feature will do.

Most of such USB scanners/cleaners use heuristics so the software don't require to upgrade frequently. And some only scans for autoruns.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I have been using MC Shield for a long time and it doesn't seem to have any issues for me. Even though it hasn't been updated in a long time, the program is stable and doesn't have much impact on my system.

Also it has caught several USB malware over the years for me, some of which even my AV might have missed. The main feature I like is that it removes any auto run files that are in the USB so basically USB malware would be useless unless you physically run them yourself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.