Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebook

Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 5400 rpm
Intel HD Graphics 4600 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics
17.3-inch @ 1600 x 900

Hey everyone, this is my laptop currently, I have had it for less than year. Feel free to vote or post your opinions about it below, I'd love to hear what you think.

Reactions: Spawn and Artaz
I

illumination

A decent computer, one you should be able to accomplish just about any kind of task with, including running VM and testing..

Reactions: Artaz

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Trusted
Good Piece of hardware showcase, I could not afford an Intel laptop so i chose a AMD Based System. I mean I had planned of buying the same PC just before I sold my desktop.

Alucard

Good Piece of hardware showcase, I could not afford an Intel laptop so i chose a AMD Based System. I mean I had planned of buying the same PC just before I sold my desktop.
Any future plans to move to Intel instead of AMD based?

Alucard

Yeah in around next 3-4 years ;), i would get a job by that moment and buy a Mac or Lets see whether what good stuffs are available at that time.:)
I currently have no desktop since I gave mine to my dad since he needed a computer.
I am hoping to get another desktop within that time period also. I hope we can both go out and find(or build) what we like.
But first...jobs lol

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 37
Verified
Trusted
You've a very impressive lap top which trumps many desktops,:cool: particularly my own HP w/15.5" screen!:rolleyes:

It was also very thoughtful to give your Dad yours.;) :):D
People always say my laptop and it's screen are huge but I love it, especially the touchscreen.
Do you have a touchscreen also? I love the touchscreen on mine, at first I thought it would be awkward to use it but it's wonderful.
I remember the amazing touch screen I'd tried out on the "Envy All-In-One" desktop at Walmart. It felt like riding in a limousine in comparison to our 14" Acer Aspire's Volkswagon beetle-like screen:rolleyes: which made me a true believer that bigger is better in the world of touchscreens!:p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Alucard

You've a very impressive lap top which trumps many desktops,:cool: particularly my own HP w/15.5" screen!:rolleyes:

It was also very thoughtful to give your Dad yours.;) :):D
People always say my laptop and it's screen are huge but I love it, especially the touchscreen.
Do you have a touchscreen also? I love the touchscreen on mine, at first I thought it would be awkward to use it but it's wonderful.

If I get a desktop, it won't be for awhile(few years) and it will probably be for gaming but for now, my laptop is just fine. I don't actually have any real plans for a new desktop at the moment but on black Friday or cyber Monday I am hoping to snag some good headphones and a brand new phone :D (not an iPhone 6 plus! obviously because I don't want a phone that is more flexible than me :p).

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Trusted
alucard i envy you because my laptop is more than 5 years old:(.if after a while you add an ssd i think you will be ready for launch:p

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Voted decent. How much did you pay for it, convert to $ or £ if possible?

I did have a look at HP Envy-range, but I considered a few aspects of it as a downfall**.
> Low screen resolution for a large screen
> Touchscreen enabled + LeapMotion ( https://www.leapmotion.com/ ) - Feels more like a gimmick (any reviews?)
> Lack of SSD
> Designed after a MBP
> Not a fan of HP trackpads

Windows 8.1 64-bit
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 5400 rpm
17.3-inch @ 1600 x 900

Here's my laptop specs to compare.

Intel Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM (Up to 16GB)
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3-inch at 1920 x 1080 anti-reflective matte screen
http://malwaretips.com/threads/huracans-gaming-notebook.26791/
Reviews: http://www.engadget.com/products/msi/gs70/stealth/

** I'm not an expert.

Reactions: Alucard

Alucard

very nice piece of kit , you could run hackintosh on that :D
I've never really used a Mac except at school, (side note: love their keyboard, hate their mouse) and I do prefer Windows over it so I don't think I will be doing that lol.

alucard i envy you because my laptop is more than 5 years old:(.if after a while you add an ssd i think you will be ready for launch:p
Any plans to replace your laptop?
A SSD can get really costly and I'm not really sure if it would be worth it for me to do that. However, don't get me wrong, I do want an SSD but I'm sure most people do lol.

Alucard

Voted decent. How much did you pay for it, convert to $ or £ if possible?

I did have a look at HP Envy-range, but I considered a few aspects of it as a downfall**.
> Low screen resolution for a large screen
> Touchscreen enabled + LeapMotion ( https://www.leapmotion.com/ ) - Feels more like a gimmick (any reviews?)
> Lack of SSD
> Designed after a MBP
> Not a fan of HP trackpads

Windows 8.1 64-bit
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 5400 rpm
17.3-inch @ 1600 x 900

Here's my laptop specs to compare.

Intel Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM (Up to 16GB)
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3-inch at 1920 x 1080 anti-reflective matte screen
http://malwaretips.com/threads/huracans-gaming-notebook.26791/
Reviews: http://www.engadget.com/products/msi/gs70/stealth/

** I'm not an expert.
I don't really understand the LeapMotion, I don't want my laptop to be a Kinect and I doubt I'd ever use that unless I'm doing a presentation for class like I saw in the video.
However, if you wouldn't mind telling me, do you think the SSD on your laptop is worth it based off of personal experience?
It would be a nice upgrade for mine but I have never really thought about an upgrade.
You have a very nice laptop by the way.
Mine was priced around $1100-1200USD I believe.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Trusted
right now i don't have any money to buy a new laptop but my hdd is really close to die so i 'll search for a new hdd.as for an ssd as you said they are really good but also more expensive so if i won't find a nice price i 'll stick to hdd;)
huracan i also envy your laptop is really looking great but in my part i have to say that i don't play games especially new ones:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Alucard

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Of course, you'll notice a drastic performance boost whilst using a SSD over the standard mechanical HDD. Windows 7 and 8 support TRIM, so you don't need to worry about optimising the disk.

Alucard

right now i don't have any money to buy a new laptop but my hdd is really close to die so i 'll search for a new hdd.as for an ssd as you said they are really good but also more expensive so if i won't find a nice price i 'll stick to hdd;)
Yeah the price is the biggest turn off for me. Best of luck finding. :)

Reactions: tonibalas