Model: HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebook

Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 5400 rpm
Intel HD Graphics 4600 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics
17.3-inch @ 1600 x 900

$(KGrHqFHJCEFJmbMJT)-BSevFLGMJg~~60_35.JPG

Hey everyone, this is my laptop currently, I have had it for less than year. Feel free to vote or post your opinions about it below, I'd love to hear what you think.

Reactions: Ink and Artaz
I

illumination

A decent computer, one you should be able to accomplish just about any kind of task with, including running VM and testing..

Reactions: Artaz

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Good Piece of hardware showcase, I could not afford an Intel laptop so i chose a AMD Based System. I mean I had planned of buying the same PC just before I sold my desktop.

Alucard

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
Good Piece of hardware showcase, I could not afford an Intel laptop so i chose a AMD Based System. I mean I had planned of buying the same PC just before I sold my desktop.
Any future plans to move to Intel instead of AMD based?

Alucard

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah in around next 3-4 years ;), i would get a job by that moment and buy a Mac or Lets see whether what good stuffs are available at that time.:)
I currently have no desktop since I gave mine to my dad since he needed a computer.
I am hoping to get another desktop within that time period also. I hope we can both go out and find(or build) what we like.
But first...jobs lol

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You've a very impressive lap top which trumps many desktops,:cool: particularly my own HP w/15.5" screen!:rolleyes:
hp_e8a04ua_aba_envy_17_j130us_touchsmart_17_3_1024752.jpg

It was also very thoughtful to give your Dad yours.;) :):D
People always say my laptop and it's screen are huge but I love it, especially the touchscreen.
Do you have a touchscreen also? I love the touchscreen on mine, at first I thought it would be awkward to use it but it's wonderful.
I remember the amazing touch screen I'd tried out on the "Envy All-In-One" desktop at Walmart. It felt like riding in a limousine in comparison to our 14" Acer Aspire's Volkswagon beetle-like screen:rolleyes: which made me a true believer that bigger is better in the world of touchscreens!:p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Alucard

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
You've a very impressive lap top which trumps many desktops,:cool: particularly my own HP w/15.5" screen!:rolleyes:
hp_e8a04ua_aba_envy_17_j130us_touchsmart_17_3_1024752.jpg

It was also very thoughtful to give your Dad yours.;) :):D
People always say my laptop and it's screen are huge but I love it, especially the touchscreen.
Do you have a touchscreen also? I love the touchscreen on mine, at first I thought it would be awkward to use it but it's wonderful.

If I get a desktop, it won't be for awhile(few years) and it will probably be for gaming but for now, my laptop is just fine. I don't actually have any real plans for a new desktop at the moment but on black Friday or cyber Monday I am hoping to snag some good headphones and a brand new phone :D (not an iPhone 6 plus! obviously because I don't want a phone that is more flexible than me :p).

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
alucard i envy you because my laptop is more than 5 years old:(.if after a while you add an ssd i think you will be ready for launch:p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Voted decent. How much did you pay for it, convert to $ or £ if possible?

I did have a look at HP Envy-range, but I considered a few aspects of it as a downfall**.
> Low screen resolution for a large screen
> Touchscreen enabled + LeapMotion ( https://www.leapmotion.com/ ) - Feels more like a gimmick (any reviews?)
> Lack of SSD
> Designed after a MBP
> Not a fan of HP trackpads

Windows 8.1 64-bit
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 5400 rpm
17.3-inch @ 1600 x 900

Here's my laptop specs to compare.

Intel Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM (Up to 16GB)
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3-inch at 1920 x 1080 anti-reflective matte screen
http://malwaretips.com/threads/huracans-gaming-notebook.26791/
Reviews: http://www.engadget.com/products/msi/gs70/stealth/

** I'm not an expert.

Reactions: Alucard

Alucard

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
very nice piece of kit , you could run hackintosh on that :D
I've never really used a Mac except at school, (side note: love their keyboard, hate their mouse) and I do prefer Windows over it so I don't think I will be doing that lol.

alucard i envy you because my laptop is more than 5 years old:(.if after a while you add an ssd i think you will be ready for launch:p
Any plans to replace your laptop?
A SSD can get really costly and I'm not really sure if it would be worth it for me to do that. However, don't get me wrong, I do want an SSD but I'm sure most people do lol.

Alucard

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
Voted decent. How much did you pay for it, convert to $ or £ if possible?

I did have a look at HP Envy-range, but I considered a few aspects of it as a downfall**.
> Low screen resolution for a large screen
> Touchscreen enabled + LeapMotion ( https://www.leapmotion.com/ ) - Feels more like a gimmick (any reviews?)
> Lack of SSD
> Designed after a MBP
> Not a fan of HP trackpads

Windows 8.1 64-bit
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB 5400 rpm
17.3-inch @ 1600 x 900

Here's my laptop specs to compare.

Intel Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM (Up to 16GB)
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3-inch at 1920 x 1080 anti-reflective matte screen
http://malwaretips.com/threads/huracans-gaming-notebook.26791/
Reviews: http://www.engadget.com/products/msi/gs70/stealth/

** I'm not an expert.
I don't really understand the LeapMotion, I don't want my laptop to be a Kinect and I doubt I'd ever use that unless I'm doing a presentation for class like I saw in the video.
However, if you wouldn't mind telling me, do you think the SSD on your laptop is worth it based off of personal experience?
It would be a nice upgrade for mine but I have never really thought about an upgrade.
You have a very nice laptop by the way.
Mine was priced around $1100-1200USD I believe.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
right now i don't have any money to buy a new laptop but my hdd is really close to die so i 'll search for a new hdd.as for an ssd as you said they are really good but also more expensive so if i won't find a nice price i 'll stick to hdd;)
huracan i also envy your laptop is really looking great but in my part i have to say that i don't play games especially new ones:p

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Of course, you'll notice a drastic performance boost whilst using a SSD over the standard mechanical HDD. Windows 7 and 8 support TRIM, so you don't need to worry about optimising the disk.

Alucard

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
right now i don't have any money to buy a new laptop but my hdd is really close to die so i 'll search for a new hdd.as for an ssd as you said they are really good but also more expensive so if i won't find a nice price i 'll stick to hdd;)
Yeah the price is the biggest turn off for me. Best of luck finding. :)

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
thanks man i already began my research and have something in my mind for buying :rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.