Basic Security Aluno's PC config

Aluno

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 15, 2016
Hello Guys :)

It's my temporary configuration.
I thinking about to replace KTS by something else and add SpyShelter Premium or firewall.
Maybe it will be Arcabit IS becouse it can do backups every modified file.
I don`t have to do backups of windows 10 becouse every important file for me, photo or license i have stored on my secound machine or onedrive and my emails acounts.

Regards :)

n0k0m3

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2017
Turn on SmartScreen (this is one of the must)

Zemana Antilogger is not an on-demand scanner, the Anti-Malware one is

Add EEK, ZAM, HMP, or MBAM to your on-demand scanner list.

WebRTC and HTTPS extension needed

Add Macrium Reflect, AOMEI, or Rollback Rx as your backup solution.

Aluno

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 15, 2016
ZAL is on demand scanner when you turn of a real time protection and turn on only a inedtity protection. I using this that way.

Okay I`ll instal https everywhere extension.

Why backup solution? I had never used something like this. Is not a better way to reinstal windows after ransom or other malware attack?

I thinking abouT Arcabit IS becouse it have a module SafeStorage and can restore every file or document, also when your delete this file by mistake

Reactions: brod56

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Implement some type of system and data backup solution and backup important data to an external drive as well.
Enable Smartscreen.
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s)
What version of KTS are you running? 2018?
Thanks for sharing your config.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I couldn't agree more with Exterminator and JM Security!

Please enable smart screen as soon as possible as this can stop potential infections on your computer by prompting you.

I would consider adding the following on demand scanners as both are highly popular and very good:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free) Link to download: Emsisoft | Free Download: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Norton Power Eraser Link to download: Norton Rescue Tools

I would like to recommend some security upgrades for your web browser as well!

HTTPS Everywhere

Explanation: Encrypt the Web! Automatically use HTTPS security on many sites. HTTPS Everywhere is an extension created by EFF and the Tor Project which automatically switches thousands of sites from insecure "http" to secure "https". It will protect you against many forms of surveillance and account hijacking, and some forms of censorship.

Download link: HTTPS Everywhere

I would also like to highly recommend that you implement a data backup solution as JM Security, Exterminator, and bribon77 have mentioned. Personally I would go with the following two solutions:

1) Macrium Reflect (Free) download link found here: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free) download link found here: Best Free Windows Backup Software for PCs and Laptops - AOMEI Backupper

Both of these solutions are tried and true image backup software. Plus, one cannot beat the price of free - $0.00!!

Please update your configuration to reflect which version of Kaspersky you are using.

Thanks for sharing your configuration with MT! (y):D

Sincerely,

Brian

D

Deleted member 65228

Why backup solution? I had never used something like this. Is not a better way to reinstal windows after ransom or other malware attack?
Many people don't have time to do a full format and OS re-installation, and even if you are happy to do so after an infection, you can lose sensitive/important documents. If you are infected with ransomware which deploys its payload successfully, documents will become encrypted; without a backup or finding a vulnerability in the ransomware which can be exploited for recovery (never say never - it does happen sometimes), you'll lose the affected documents. Similar scenario's would be with a virus infection, or any malicious software which tampers with documents.

Security = prevention + identification + data-loss prevention + keeping personal information safe, and many more things. The "term" isn't narrowed down to one or two things, it's a whole wide variety of topics combined. With new topics being added to what being "secure" is constantly.

But yes, a format and OS reinstall is the best thing to do when you get infected. You can still use a backup to recover documents though. Taking documents off an infected system and copying them across to another system/fresh environment is generally a bad idea.

Aluno

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 15, 2016
Ok guys :) i had updated my security config.

What do you thinking about new windows defender and smart screen? It will be sufficient with spyshelter firewall and firefox?
I have uninstalled the kaspersky package and instaled Arcabit IS trial becouse it have safestorage (automatic files backups) and i trust them more than kaspersky now.

Reactions: harlan4096

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Ok guys :) i had updated my security config.

What do you thinking about new windows defender and smart screen? It will be sufficient with spyshelter firewall and firefox?
I have uninstalled the kaspersky package and instaled Arcabit IS trial becouse it have safestorage (automatic files backups) and i trust them more than kaspersky now.

It depends on your usage. If you perform risky activities, a default-deny solution or a full AV suite with behavioral blocker are recommended. If not, Windows Defender+healthy habits should do the job.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.