Am I the only one who does this? lol xD

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
So when I scan a file in the malware samples section of the forums, I keep it organized...
EURton0.png

hahah I'm so weird xDXD

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Heres what i do:

1. Find new malware on the malware hub
2.Copy/paste link into adress bar
3.Change hxxp to http
4.Press enter to load the website
5. Click on download
6.Search a folder to save the file
7.Start VMware
8.Select my Win 10 VM
9. Revert to a snapshot with a Software i want to test
10.Boot the VM
11.Wait ages for the VM to boot -_-
12.Disable realtime of the software
13. Update the software
14.Copy the folder to the VM
15.Right-click the folder and extract
16.Scan the folder with the software
17.Take a screenshot with Lightshot and save on Desktop
18. Reenable realtime (optional)
19.Run remaining files if any (optional)
20. Check for active malware or installed Junk (optional)
21.Go back to host machine
22. Reopen Malware Hub Thread
23. Write reply
24.Attach screenshot(s)
25.Post the reply

I can do this run for half a dozend softwares (Trend Micro, Emsisoft, Defender,Avast,etc.)

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Heres what i do:

1. Find new malware on the malware hub
2.Copy/paste link into adress bar
3.Change hxxp to http
4.Press enter to load the website
5. Click on download
6.Search a folder to save the file
7.Start VMware
8.Select my Win 10 VM
9. Revert to a snapshot with a Software i want to test
10.Boot the VM
11.Wait ages for the VM to boot -_-
12.Disable realtime of the software
13. Update the software
14.Copy the folder to the VM
15.Right-click the folder and extract
16.Scan the folder with the software
17.Take a screenshot with Lightshot and save on Desktop
18. Reenable realtime (optional)
19.Run remaining files if any (optional)
20. Check for active malware or installed Junk (optional)
21.Go back to host machine
22. Reopen Malware Hub Thread
23. Write reply
24.Attach screenshot(s)
25.Post the reply

I can do this run for half a dozend softwares (Trend Micro, Emsisoft, Defender,Avast,etc.)
And I thought I had it bad .-. My steps are like:

1: Find new malware on hub
2: Copy/Paste link into bar
3: Change hxxp to http (Hardest Step :mad:)
4: Press Enter
5: Click download
6: Extract file and put on D.\ Partition, (Files) (Malware Samples!)
7: Don't start VirtualBox :( (I'm lazy lol) (I feel I don't need it, if I do get an infection I'll just scan with a program which got 100% on that thing!)
8: Disable Avast for 3 minutes (Won't let me scan, removes files when I copy them from extracted to folder :mad:)
9: Scan with Malwarebytes
10: After done I click "Cancel" and leave malware on the system
11: Scan with Avast
12: Post Results in Text Document above
13: Use snipping tool to make an image.
14: Put image into image folder
15: Upload to malwaretips.com malware hub thread.
16: Go to imgur and uplaod image
17: Post reply

I'm really lazy when comes to waiting (I don't boot my VM lol) but I spend so much time making it look all fancy lol xD

:p

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
And I thought I had it bad .-. My steps are like:

1: Find new malware on hub
2: Copy/Paste link into bar
3: Change hxxp to http (Hardest Step :mad:)
4: Press Enter
5: Click download
6: Extract file and put on D.\ Partition, (Files) (Malware Samples!)
7: Don't start VirtualBox :( (I'm lazy lol) (I feel I don't need it, if I do get an infection I'll just scan with a program which got 100% on that thing!)
8: Disable Avast for 3 minutes (Won't let me scan, removes files when I copy them from extracted to folder :mad:)
9: Scan with Malwarebytes
10: After done I click "Cancel" and leave malware on the system
11: Scan with Avast
12: Post Results in Text Document above
13: Use snipping tool to make an image.
14: Put image into image folder
15: Upload to malwaretips.com malware hub thread.
16: Go to imgur and uplaod image
17: Post reply

I'm really lazy when comes to waiting (I don't boot my VM lol) but I spend so much time making it look all fancy lol xD

:p

The only thing I do differently from Secondmineboy is I use VirtualBox, download the files directly from inside the VM (turn on clipboard sharing - host to guest only - to get the download link), and I use Postimg instead of Lightshot. It's not as time consuming as you'd think when it becomes a habit. Personally I've grown tired of doing it so I'm rarely in Malware Hub anymore. The steps are worth it though.

As for accidentally infecting yourself then scanning with something that detected it (step 7)... that won't work. Malware modifies files/deletes and steals data. The list goes on depending on the what you've run. A scan can't and won't revert that without repair function (at best it will delete some of the files it dropped/modified - and repair might be able to disinfect or replace some files) and even then, most vendors and actual experienced malware researchers will tell you to not rely on repair features on an AV. One such vendor is Emsisoft. Instead you need to prevent, not attempt a clean up. Repairing a system normally won't do much good (personal experience from cleaning up infected computers).

A recommendation to not accidentally running a malware file while not in a VM (anyone who tests malware enough will have done this at least once) is to either folder scan, right click (context menu) or highlight then right click file(s). Even selecting the path from inside the AV itself is good. Just don't hit the enter key when highlighting malware. lol

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Not weird... but perfectionistic. :D
That's just a fancy term for weird lol

Also, in reply for the long comment, I have a backup schedule for every 3 days, and I can easily reformat Windows & Disk if it gets that far :)

Reactions: XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

If you use a VM , you should download samples from inside the VM and isolate the shared folder with a sandbox.

Reactions: Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
If you use a VM , you should download samples from inside the VM and isolate the shared folder with a sandbox.
You can also make the shared folder read-only :)

I once forgot to turn it back there and a ransomware tried to encrypt the files inside that folder which luckily didnt work.

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
EDIT: NOW PASSWORD PROTECTED!

XmX1GcZ.png

Added steps:
1: Make it password protected
-----------------------------------------
Basically I open my Malware Samples folder,
then I open the date inside of that folder
inside I find a locker batch file
i type the password "password!"
and inside I find malware samples :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its just an attitude of a reviewer, so an evidence is an evidence which why you need an enough information to gather.

Actually my style where all of the samples and test are only in VM to avoid any accidents, no shared folders connected although sometimes I forgot it but none of any incidents occur bad.

Of course all of the test will be done in such an hour to finalize it, so there's nothing wrong at all/ ;)

Reactions: KokoKid

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Its just an attitude of a reviewer, so an evidence is an evidence which why you need an enough information to gather.

Actually my style where all of the samples and test are only in VM to avoid any accidents, no shared folders connected although sometimes I forgot it but none of any incidents occur bad.

Of course all of the test will be done in such an hour to finalize it, so there's nothing wrong at all/ ;)
Yeah, I should do it in my VM. Will try that next time, see how it goes. My VM is slow, which is why I don't normally put malware samples on it. I would appreciate some help! My specs on VM:(3GB ram, 2 cores alloted!)

Funny enough, I can still scan the file after it's password protected! (Shown in video!) Should be safe for now

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.