Solved AMD Radeon HD 6470M (switchable graphics) driver problem with Windows 8 on HP Pavilion G6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello folks!

One of my friends having a problem with her laptop's switchable graphics (Intel & AMD Radeon) driver on Windows 8 OS. She wants to switch to Windows 8 from 7, but had issue with graphics driver. I also tried to help, downloaded the latest graphics driver for HP Pavilion G6 1215-et (64bit) named "SP59147" from the main site of HP, installed correctly but it says "WDDM 1.0.blablaba" on device manager, and shows its model as Radeon HD7000 with a caution sign..

I also searched the problem on the net a lot, but could not find anything, neither from HP support pages. Tried to install old but main driver from Win 7, it worked, but still had problems while switching, the game and videos didnt work well, also laptop heated itself a lot. Between all of these steps and the others, used Driver Fusion to clean/erase package remains, and restarted at each step.

Does any of you has a solution for that HD 6470M on Windows 8? Any idea/suggestions about it? All comments are welcomed! :)

wrzs

Jan 6, 2013
ya sir i think i do
do u think i need to uninstall the old one before i install the new one ...
cause when i tried to install it
the computer freeze and it show me the sad face message ..
which said ur compute run into a problem bla bla bla ...

Yes, you could try uninstalling the old one first.

Upvote 0

chupa_cabra

Jun 10, 2015
I'm having the very same problem in windows 7, it is a driver problem isn't it? I really have no idea about fixing my computer, could you help me?
I installed service pack 1, and started a few updates that were important (I had it disabled since 2012) with my windows update, it looks like it installed service pack 1, althought it dind't look like it downloaded lots of files for that. So here I am with a completely update windows, with all amd possible drivers in it, lol, and with a driver problem, an unidentyfied driver.
And I don't know if there's something to it, but the fan often fails to start when I power on the laptop, mine is a pavilion dm4-2055br.
I'm so glad that I found people with the same problem as me, and I have to say that a few months ago everything ran perfectly.
Already thaks for your help

Upvote 0

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello
@chupa_cabra First of all, welcome to MT! This problem of yours, are you sure is it about graphics driver? Because it sounds as you're missing a driver of chipset lol :) I know what you try to say :
6Jbbvle.jpg

As you can see in that picture, there is a driver as "optional" for the graphics, which you've installed mistakenly i guess. It should've messed up your original driver files. What you have to do is :

• First, install a software to deeply remove the graphics driver from the system. You can use Driver Fusion or Display Driver Uninstaller both of them with ease. In this case, I'd recommend you to use DDU.
  • Uninstall completely your graphics driver by one of these softwares and RESTART your laptop.
  • Once your system has re-started, go ahead and install your downloaded original graphics driver (which you can find here )
  • After the installation, restart again and you should've fixed the problem. :)
Have a nice day! :)

Upvote 0

chupa_cabra

Jun 10, 2015
Hello
@chupa_cabra First of all, welcome to MT! This problem of yours, are you sure is it about graphics driver? Because it sounds as you're missing a driver of chipset lol :) I know what you try to say :

As you can see in that picture, there is a driver as "optional" for the graphics, which you've installed mistakenly i guess. It should've messed up your original driver files. What you have to do is :

• First, install a software to deeply remove the graphics driver from the system. You can use Driver Fusion or Display Driver Uninstaller both of them with ease. In this case, I'd recommend you to use DDU.
  • Uninstall completely your graphics driver by one of these softwares and RESTART your laptop.
  • Once your system has re-started, go ahead and install your downloaded original graphics driver (which you can find here )
  • After the installation, restart again and you should've fixed the problem. :)
Have a nice day! :)

First of all, thanks for the tips, you're definitely right, I happened to do exactly that, sorry for not being specific enough.
So I should stick with my original drivers and don't try to update them, that's it?
Cause as I understood, the other user, there, got the problem SOLVED just when installed the catalyst 13.6 beta 2 uniflor.
And I tried this yesterday, thinking it could solve also my issue, and it kinda did, cause I got to use it yesterday, and turned it off to check, everything ran ok, but when I turned on today Catalyst didn't appear no more, and no switchable grpahics option, here's what I get:

screen.gif
Sem título.jpg

This driver device problem is constantly there, even when I had the catalyst working for a few hours yesterday.
I've just downloaded the original drivers and the DDU, gonna try your method.
Thanks for the help! Really helpful and clearing.
Just one more thing, in addition to all of this, I'm having a really annoying FAN issue, my laptop often starts in black start screen saying "SYSTEM START ERROR " "FAN ERROR", and then I have to literally blow the vent to give him a start, hahaha, lol, that's what you get for being poor and buying this pavilion notebook.
Have you to a nice day my friend

Upvote 0

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello @chupa_cabra , thanks for your kind reply :)

So I should stick with my original drivers and don't try to update them, that's it?

Yeah that's right :) Which OS is your pre-installed OS ? Windows 7 or Windows 8? I mean, when you've bought that laptop, which OS was installed? If Windows 7, then the link above that I've provided for your drivers should work for you.

If it was Windows 8, then we must discuss a different subject later, but first, you must reply :)

For your Fan error, there might be an issue with your hardware or software. I'd recommend you to send your laptop to technical service (if your guarantee still continues) before some critical situations occur.

There might be 2 problems going on for your fan:

1- Software : You must check your Fan options from BIOS. I do not know that much how to check the normal values of Fan speed and what it should be etc. so you should check it from Google ;)
2- Hardware : In this case I'd suggest you to open it by yourself or if you're not geek that much, you should make someone else to open the laptop case, and check the cables going to Fan. It might have some troubles with the connection to mainboard, which causes some electricity loss on the power-up.

Have a nice day! ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.