Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
End of the year, the final scores. Let me tell you my version of the best of the best, for Linux distributions that came to be in 2011. In 2009, I used several categories likes security, updates, performance, and others to grade different distributions, and then summed the score. In 2010, I simply gave you my interpretation, with various usage models as the crucial factor. This year, we will do a simple countdown, with top five nominees rated and listed.

Overall, 2011 was not a good year for Linux. Many a distribution flopped, with a significant decrease in quality. Gnome 3 virtually killed half the desktop base, and Unity did not help much either. There was quite a bit of forking and reforking, with old, classic names fading into obscurity and irrelevance. The next-year dream of Linux dominance is probably not going to happen, not in its current form anyway. Without further ado, let's declare the winners.

Read More

Good to see that Puppy Linux is still include even not in particular order. :)

D

Deleted member 178

RE: And the best distro of 2011 is ...

So what the best Distro?

1- for a windows-user type guy like me

2- that is fast and secure

3- without too much 3rd party softwares pre-installed

4- Low on disk-space

i googled a bit , and find out it may be Mint, am i right? but Mate or Cinnamon?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Mine would have to be Mint. Have tried it and works really well for me :)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

Mint is really good for me, of course with Cinnamon as DE. :D The thing I hate about it is that installing a new release requires that you get the OS reinstalled. That's why I like Ubuntu which supports doing it from the update manager.

D

Deleted member 178

will try unbuntu in a VM ^^

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
will try unbuntu in a VM ^^

If you want fast and light, give Lubuntu or Xubuntu a try.

PCLinuxOS isn't as light, but it's a rolling distribution, which is very nice. Meaning, if you keep up with your updates, when a major release is made, you won't be facing the large download you see with other distros, because you will have already updated most of the components.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

@HeffeD: PCLOS has an XFCE, LXDE, OpenBox and KDE (I may have forgotten one) desktop environments. I have the XFCE ISO of PCLOS.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
@HeffeD: PCLOS has an XFCE, LXDE, OpenBox and KDE (I may have forgotten one) desktop environments. I have the XFCE ISO of PCLOS.

I'll have to try one of the other desktops on PCLOS one of these days. I'm using KDE. I really like KDE, but it's definitely not as light as XFCE or LXDE. (Never tried OpenBox)

My current favorite distros are: (in no particular order)
OpenSUSE
Fedora
PCLinuxOS
Lubuntu
Xubuntu

I have a VM of all of them.

P

Plexx

HeffeD, have you tried Fluxbox?

I did like KDE but somehow I find LXDE and XFCE slightly easier for me. XFCE is not as light as it used to be though.

If you compare Lubuntu and Xubuntu, Lubuntu is light.

By the way, are there LXDE and XFCE versions of the latest Fedora? Couldn't find it to download.

Haven't used fedora since Fedora 13 or 14. Guess a lot has changed since I checked and they are on 17 now

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

Never tried Fluxbox, I'll have to check it out.

Yes, XFCE has more "eye candy" than it used to have, but it's still lighter than KDE or Unity. (Haven't tried a very recent release of GNOME lately...)

Yes, you can get Fedora with LXDE or XFCE.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Now its 2012 and still best linux distro is MINT for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.