I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome with AdGuard and Kaspersky Protection extension
Maintenance tools
Microsoft integrated tools
File and Photo backup
Manual to external drive
System recovery
Use "Refresh" or USB with Windows 10.ISO to repair windows if anything bad happens.
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Desktop PC
AMD Phenom II X4
Radeon RX560
DDR3 8GB
SSD60GB + HDD 250GB + external HDD

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
User access control I suggest you should change to always notify

Also, a program for backup copies, either Macrium Reflect or AOMEI in its free versions.

and some program of scan on demand Kit of Emsisoft and Zemana

Thanks for sharing(y)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Use the built-in Windows Security
Turn on User Access Control
Understanding how User Access Control works (Windows 10)

Threats missed by your Primary AV!
Perform monthly with an on-demand malware scanner that your real-time protection may miss.

Backup your Data!
Personal documents and photos/videos can be lost in many ways;
  • accidentally (human error)
  • by malware (ransomware)
  • stolen (theft)
  • hardware failure
  • natural disaster
- Manually keep copies on an external USB drive.
- Use cloud storage (+ encryption).
- Sync client such as OneDrive offer Ransomware protection. Find out how.
- Google also offer Backup and Restore. Learn more.

System Restore is not a backup solution.
Let Windows Backup create a system image (Control Panel > Back up and Restore) and a system repair disc (USB).

Alternatively you can use Macrium Reflect Free Edition to maintain backups of your system.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Andi.HR:

As previous member suggested:
  • Specify the exact version of Avast product You have installed -> Free or Paid?.
  • Enable UAC, at least, to default.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free, EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and HitManPro Free.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add a VPN service.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :giggle:

Andi.HR

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Yea, people need to know this situation to avoid disaster but on the other hand, there is not many people who would restore system on previous build!

Reactions: oldschool

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello, I also recommend a reliable backup solution and also data backup to Google Drive.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: harlan4096

Andi.HR

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Staff Notes says:
This setup configuration doesn't have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

Thanks for yours advice about data backup but I have data backup plan!!!
I manually copy my music,videos,photos,doc... to an external drive so I don't worry about that.

Only thing that I don't have is "System Backup Plan" and I told you that I don't need it in the way you guys suggested, with third party software.
For me, if something that bad happens that I would have to restore system backup, in that scenario I would rather go with windows refresh, Repair from .ISO of even clean install. Soo... I have plan for that situation too.

Andi.HR

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Very often windows give us updates, upgrades, fixes for many things...so that "system backup" must be on a daily basis if you want system backup with latest fixes and updates.
I will rather do a clean instal or refresh than that I have old system backup!
I don't even remember when I was bean in situation that I need "system backup" so I really don't need it.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.