User Access Control
Real-time security
None
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Ungoogled-Chromium with extensions : Universal Bypass, WebRTC Control, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere, I don't care about cookies, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, Buster and Dark Reader.

Tor with no extensions at all.
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
None
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
Custom built Desktop PC :
CPU : Intel Pentium G3258 @ 3.20 GHz
GPU : Integrated into CPU
RAM : 6GB DDR3
Storage : 1TB Samsung HDD at 7200 RPM
PSU : Antec High Current Gamer at 400W
Notable changes
Replaced uBlock Origin with Malwarebytes Browser Guard.
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Regardless of OS, it's really essential to have some form of Backup solution. Viruses may be less prevalent than other(s), but this doesn't mean Linux OS' are 100% immune.

Other than the above I like this setup.

~LDogg

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
(y);)
Linux users are vulnerable to Phishing.
Ungoogled-Chromium does not have Google Safe Browsing.
In my opinion you should as a precaution at least enter a valid DNS for Phishing, and adopt, if you have not already done so some list in UBO specific for Phishing.

You use WebRTC Control.
I would be curious to know how Ungoogled-Chromium behaves for WebGL, Canvas test .... etc ..... etc
Thanks so much.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
(y);)
Linux users are vulnerable to Phishing.
Ungoogled-Chromium does not have Google Safe Browsing.
In my opinion you should as a precaution at least enter a valid DNS for Phishing, and adopt, if you have not already done so some list in UBO specific for Phishing.

For phishing, I would suggest Netcraft, even in tests now, it's simply THE best extension out there to stop phishing sites. Some filterlists for adblockers that are solely designed for phishing do not hold their weight compared to Netcraft.

~LDogg

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
For phishing, I would suggest Netcraft, even in tests now, it's simply THE best extension out there to stop phishing sites. Some filterlists for adblockers that are solely designed for phishing do not hold their weight compared to Netcraft.

~LDogg

Netcraft is good.(y):)

Even my New Moon like Ungoogled-Chromium does not have Google Safe Browsing.
However, I prefer to use equally valid alternatives compared to the extension you mention.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@AnErrupTion:

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

In System Backup, You may add some cloning disk/image disk tool for Linux.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
@AnErrupTion:

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

In System Backup, You may add some cloning disk/image disk tool for Linux.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)
I create myself my passwords, they are good (more than 10 characters) and I can remember all of them, so I don't need any password manager.
For system backup, I don't really care as what I care is my data.
For data backup, maybe I'll consider getting some external HDD.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Good to see another programmer on Linux :)
Which firewall do you use... CLI based Iptables?
Linux is less targeted. However, one should just be careful about the binaries that one downloads and use reputable repositories only. I'm sure you are aware of that.

Linux usually doesn't call for an antivirus... so maybe a reputable browser plugin with huge a db and that also has a linux antivirus counterpart, to block malicious sites and repos will be a good supplement.
Have you tried AppArmor (if you're looking for something advanced)? Just curious.

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
Good to see another programmer on Linux :)
Which firewall do you use... CLI based Iptables?
Linux is less targeted. However, one should just be careful about the binaries that one downloads and use reputable repositories only. I'm sure you are aware of that.

Linux usually doesn't call for an antivirus... so maybe a reputable browser plugin with huge a db and that also has a linux antivirus counterpart, to block malicious sites and repos will be a good supplement.
Have you tried AppArmor (if you're looking for something advanced)? Just curious.
I'm using Ubuntu's default firewall, and no I haven't tried AppArmor.
Also, Avast is and will always be #####, always remember that. Even when I was on Windows before switching to Linux, I had no antivirus and everything was fine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.