Angst against chrome.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Upon research it seems chrome has a varied reception upon users.Some dont like the supposed privacy concerns or some love its speed etc.
Just wondered what way MalwareTips members swayed in regard to chrome.personally i feel its a very capable browser and apparently the most secure.

W

Wave

This forum provides quite a lot of freedom of speech so members are allowed to express their opinions in an appropriate fashion... And everyone may have different views on what they like and what they don't like (for whatever reason).

I personally really like Google Chrome and currently use it over other browsers like Firefox, MS Edge, Internet Explorer and Opera... It usually works well for me; when it stops working for whatever reason then I temporarily switch to MS Edge or Firefox until the issue is resolved.

If you like Google Chrome then continue using it, if you want to switch up and try something new then go for it, it won't cause any harm.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I trusted Firefox for a long time since it was open source. Google was proprietary and also for a long time I was concerned that the company gathered too much information. This was when they were coming up with all their net based apps 2010-2013. The cloud app was breaking on users and Google's reputation seemed not so good, so I stayed away from everything Google. For now I am OK with Google, and it seems like a good time to use Chrome to me.

Firefox looks improved. Big changes so I hope it works out for Mozilla. Opera I used for a long time, and it looks good. If they are getting the security right with Opera, maybe I'll try it too later.

I'd like to see someone bring back the Netscape project from the dead. Amiga500's avatar didn't remind me of this, just a coincidence. It's strange that Netscape disappeared the way it did. Things would be better imo with another browser to add to the top 4 for PC (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera). Only way it can work I think is if whoever develops such a project also has some kind of plan for income. Don't think the browser market could support another open source honestly.

W

Wave

I'd like to see someone bring back the Netscape project from the dead. Amiga500's avatar didn't remind me of this, just a coincidence. It's strange that Netscape disappeared the way it did. Things would be better imo with another browser to add to the top 4 for PC (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera). Only way it can work I think is if whoever develops such a project also has some kind of plan for income. Don't think the browser market could support another open source honestly.
They probably gave up trying to compete with companies which had more money than them for development, like Google.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Some might not know or don't remember that Netscape used to be an ISP. That was back in the $10 a month dial up days with CompuServe, Prodigy, and then America Online. For a few years Netscape made big money. Whoever, brought it back would no doubt be looking for a similar type of angle on money I think, considering the history of the browser and like you say Wave competing with Google is no party. I feel Netscape has the potential to be a winning idea again though.

Not to say the browser has to cost or would (I'm sure not), but whoever owns the license to the trade name now probably wouldn't want to release a free browser without an angle on money. RealPlayer keeps coming up with ways to make money, so who's to say Netscape couldn't too if someone brought it back?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
RealPlayer has a bad reputation no question. I don't like the new program much with the cloud, but I used it up until about v11. v12-15 was OK and not much different. O/C the browser is not secure. Also, there are too many processes with the helper and messaging programs, and it all runs on boot, so that has been the biggest problem. It's disruptive on a system imo. RP has always been that way.

I haven't ever seen concrete facts that prove that there is data stealing malicious spyware in RealPlayer. Maybe it is there. Mostly, I think complaints about the program are about the processes and that RP gets and uses some data. They probably do or have in the past. Companies shouldn't operate in the dark when it comes to data.

With the comparison between RP and Netscape, I am referring to the brand rather than the product. Netscape could be a good brand. I think RealPlayer is/could be one too, but it seems they haven't ever been able to get started to really make the most out of the possibilities. Otherwise, they have managed to keep the brand alive, which Netscape couldn't achieve.

I just looked at the most recent income numbers I could find for Real Network, the owner of RealPlayer. The company is selling stock and brought in $125,000,000 of revenue in 2015. However, the company suffered an operational loss, and revenue has been going down over the years.

Maybe if Real Network takes the time to listen to security professionals, they will be able to really make a success of RealPlayer. Actually, whoever owns Netscape might not have a bad idea to make a deal with RealPlayer to provide a secure browser for the program. Maybe a cloud services deal to take on Google would bring some success. Netscape Docs for offices and RP/Netscape for at home. Thinking while I type again. o_O

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I use Google Chrome as my primary browser. My primary reason is its responsiveness/speed compared to other engine-based browsers. It's also stable and secure due to frequent bug and vulnerability hunting. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am Chrome-positive. It's highly convenient for Google products and services for Desktop, Android and Web Apps. 100% better than Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Neon, Vilvadi, Edge and others on Windows, macOS and Android.

On iOS, Focus by Firefox is my preferred choice.

W

Wave

I use Google Chrome as my primary browser. My primary reason is its responsiveness/speed compared to other engine-based browsers. It's also stable and secure due to frequent bug and vulnerability hunting. :)
I find Google Chrome to work much faster than other browsers for me, too. Not just the page loading speed, but the actual browser GUI (creating tabs, changing URL, accessing history and downloads, etc.). I prefer the Google Chrome GUI also, probably since I'm so used to it.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I tried Chrome last week for a couple of days.
It's fast and it performs very good in my system.
But i returned to Cent to benefit from extra settings.
Also Cent is as fast as Chrome and it's performance is very good.
The downside is that it doesn't follow Chrome( chromium ) updates very fast.
Most of the time the update will be after a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.