anniyan's security config

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
qihoo 360 total security (with bitdefender and avira engines enabled), malwarebytes antimalware premium, privatefirewall
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
herdprotect, hitmanpro,
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
cyberfox (x64, intel), google chrome
Maintenance tools
ccleaner

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for posting your config! I'd recommend using something that's actually real-time to protect your computer. Avast free & 360 Total Security Essential are great in that regard.Everything else seems to be covered. From personal experience, µblock is better that Adblock because it does the same job while consuming less resources. Have a nice day! :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
As for privacy software you can add CCleaner if you are not using it already.
As for ublock i agree with Paul Lee it does a very good job and it's much lighter than ADP, in my browser i don't have any slowdown and i don't even notice it's there.
Thanks for sharing your config.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Likely add a realtime Protection AV like Avast, Avira, Qihoo or AVG for free version since its totally a good configuration, MBAM is only a complement program and differs on ability to detect majority of threats.

Optional extension: Lastpass to store passwords securely especially if doing multi logins. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your configuration with us, @anniyan. Like yourself, I also use portable browsers a good portion of the time, and use portable versions of CCleaner & PriVazer.

I agree with advice our member/friends have already imparted, and use Avast! as the realtime AV on our Windows 8.1 system. A personal favorite we have used on Windows 7 SP 1 was ESET NOD 32 8 together with Windows Firewall. Although it is a paid AV, we have (2) days until the end of a 30 day trial of Kaspersky IS expires. Therefore I have prepared to test drive ESET Smart Security 8, an security suite, that includes firewall protection. As most paid AVs you can try it for 30 days without obligation, and download from here:
ESET NOD 32, if you'd prefer trying the AV w/o firewall & Child safety features:
For added browsing privacy using Firefox,
  1. From "menu" <click> on "options and choose >> "Security"
  2. Uncheck the box beside "remember passwords for sites"
  3. Under "Privacy" <click> on the drop down line & choose "Never remember history"
In Chrome: Begin from "settings"
  1. Scroll down to "Show advanced Settings"
  2. From "Privacy" <click> "Content Settings"
  3. Beneath "Cookies" mark the circle "Keep local data only until you quite your browser"
  4. Check the box "Block third party cookies & site data"
If you've not used a sandbox for protection while browsing, consider Sandboxie.
On the page (to the right) you'll find reviews, posted & videos, & a list of tutorials.:)

Edit: As you asked whether ABP was compatible with uBlock, they are (in fact) comparable. So, choose one or the other, so as to allow your system to perform efficiently. If, as I suspect, it was simply a subtle nuance stated between similar words, and you do plan on using only one, that is great!:D By the way, uBlock is preferred on our system browsers (here in our home) 2 to 1 now that it's available for Firefox.;)

Thanks!:D

Last edited:

anniyan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2015
firstly thanks to all for the helpful advices. i will add a realtime protection AV; i am considering Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, since it has higher detection rate than others as per PCMAG reviews. is this ok? also i read in reviews that panda free AV has also high detection, so i am also considering panda free AV [http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/]; also how is this different from the panda free cloud AV [http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/] ? your valuable thoughts on these, please?

also i will add privazer and sandboxie too.
@jamescv7, i already have lastpass; it is an indispensable tool for me. thank you :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
firstly thanks to all for the helpful advices. i will add a realtime protection AV; i am considering Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, since it has higher detection rate than others as per PCMAG reviews. is this ok? also i read in reviews that panda free AV has also high detection, so i am also considering panda free AV [http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/]; also how is this different from the panda free cloud AV [http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/] ?

Actually if I'm not mistaken then it varies on cloud functionality, Panda Free AV is incorporate with their Cloud Enhanced therefore it takes balance through traditional signatures, meanwhile Panda Free Cloud AV its main component is through cloud alongside of behavior analysis to check the reputation of file.

Just pick one and their protection capabilities are literally same as possible.

Bitdefender Free is also good, very simple configuration and its all through Cloud functionality too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.