Annoying infections

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
Hi guys this is my first post I really need some help with some problems I've been getting on a brand new refurbished laptop only 1 month old (problems arose from the first day I installed windows 10 though with asus webstorage which I think is a virus tbh and was there from the start).

Anyway the problems I have been getting include mainly broswer hijackers/redirects but also fake warnings of out of date drivers/hardware/software etc and when you try to close the page they download something anyway. So now anything that appears to be unable to be closed and forces you to click on it...I just go into task manager and end process. When it starts up again and says "did not shut down correctly" I just close the pop up. All of this is very frustrating as I spent 2000 on this laptop as I am an avid gamer.

Anyway here are the steps I took over the last month....AdwCleaner, Anti-MalwareBytes, HitmanPro, JunkwareRemovalTool. Initially these were good and detected threats and removed them efficiently to a noticable difference, then at some point they started failing to detect anything just saying "no threats detected" on every scan so I ended up downloading something called SpyHunter4 which on the surface looked to be the same type of thing as the above programs. When I got directed to a payment page and more bundled downloads alarm bells started ringing. Of course I didn't buy or download anything and the first thing I did was go to uninstall SpyHunter4...which you've guessed it I couldn't. On every boot up this program would try to install automatically too.

After that I felt like I had no other choice but to do a system restore to the earliest date it offered me. which I think was 18th April. After that was completed and I rebooted, some of the older problems had returned so I redownloaded adw cleaner and malwarebytes and they detected them again and removed them again. Everything was fine for a few days and then things started going suspicious again so I decided to activate a paid subscription to Bullguard now (antivirus software with firewall etc) which blocks any connection and tbh is pretty damn good on the whole but it's still not stopping everything. One particular malicious infection still goes undetected and plays havoc with my browser. It's something like acdm01.findgirl.tinder or something with a message "welcome to the newest find girl site". I get that computer monitors your browsing habits but I've never even used tinder or any dating site in my life. You can't close this tab so have to click "ok". After that I just tick the prevent this website from creating additional tabs then select leave this website but it makes me anxious because I would rather it just not be happening.

There are also two programs I cannot delete from my programs which are Searchprotect and WebBar. When I try to delete them it says "error these programs do not exist"...but I think they still do somehow. Why would they be listed there if they werent on the laptop. Also my laptop seems to lag and run slow occasionally and I pretty much convinced it's something to do with this.

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
UPDATE: I downloaded the Zemama removal tool and it detected 12 threats...search protect and webbar were in there so it looked promising. Performed the clean and rebooted. first thing i did was go to this website...and was redirected to an advert for a game with an audio message "warning do not play this game if you are under 18". I really am at my wit's end with this cancerous bs

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
UPDATE: zemama tool just automatically notified me of 11 more threats(after the reboot)...all of them were "search protect" related. I cleaned them and then performed another scan manually to which it said "pc is clean". I will let you know if any more redirects happen. At least it's detected them unlike adwcleaner, malwarebytes, hitmanpro, and junkwareremovaltool

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Win10 here as well..! I get about 1 nasty a month that Adwcleaner usually takes care of. Win10 is bloated with a bunch of useless Apps for me at least. The Edge browser with forced Bing/Msn search engine is the pits IMO. I switched to Firefox & have not had a nasty in a while. I don't remove apps any more, learned my lesson with Win7 which is the best OS Microsoft ever made. Win 10 is pure crud IMO.

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
Honestly it seems like my computer is slowet since i performed that scan/removal with zemana :( the loading circle on the mouse pointer is juat always spinning now...which doesnt sound good to me. Honestly im sick of all this and the people who create all these cancerous infections are just oxygen stealing pond life imo

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
Web pages now take longer to load as wrll. Before they were instant now its like 2 seconds delay.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I forgot to tell you to be very careful when downloading apps. Even once trusted sites are now bundling with PUPS now & not always tell you that you will get search Booger with your app download.:eek::eek::eek:

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
One things thats annoying is that to play my favourite mmo i have to turn firewall off completely. Even if i allow the programs in new rules it still crashes the game if firewall is on :(

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
You removed zemana? So far its the only one thats detected anything all the othera just said my laptop had no threats :( tbh i know this is really skeptical but is there any chance that these so called safe anti malware programs just list fake threats and actually do nothing?

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I read somewhere that Zemanna is prone to False positives. It does have a restore option in quarantine though.

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
Well i clearrd all cache browsing history and removed zemana and rebooted. Its still running slower than before i put zemana on there. I hate this it just makes you paranoid of everything.

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
I dont know what to think. 4 other malware removals said my pc was threat safe yet this one detects things...and things i am supsicious of in the first place like searchprotect and web bar. I just looked in processes under task managwr and there was like 70 java update installers and it said my C drive was at 100% pwrformance activity. Never seen that before. Thinking i would have to manually end each task i was surprised when they all just disappeared. I went to the details tab and disabled java updater and asus web storage. I think both are malicious

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Try Qihoo with pups enabled and avira on.Uninstall Bullguard ,keep zemana ans malwarebytes with hitman but only as scanners.Qihoo should fix things.
Also about your apps turn all apps off from running in background in settings.

Last edited:

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
Try Qihoo with pups enabled and avira on.Uninstall Bullguard ,keep zemana ans malwarebytes with hitman but only as scanners.Qihoo should fix things.
Also about your apps turn all apps off from running in background in settings.

What if i need some to be running tho...some of them im not actually sure if i need them running.

Nezkeys79

Thread author
May 11, 2016
Why uninstall bullguard? Its the only thing that blocks websites before they connect from what ive tried

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
For now uninstall Bullguard you still have license,I am saying that because bullguard is not catching something.It is because running 2 antiviruses will give you even more problems .So I would uninstall bullguard for now ,re-install it after your machine is working fine,windows firewall is good for now.Install qihoo with avira and pup enabled, Zemana, hitman,and malwarebytes keep but put services at manual and to not run at startup.Then run qihoo for full system scan and see what it gives you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.