Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Tesla's Autopilot system has been under a lot of scrutiny lately following reports of an unusual number of crashes involving Tesla vehicles and the possibility that the company misled investors and consumers about the efficacy of Autopilot. The United States has started a new special probe into the incident to learn more about the facts behind a recent deadly accident involving a Tesla vehicle.

The crash, which resulted in the tragic loss of life, has raised concerns regarding the safety and autonomous driving capabilities of Tesla EVs. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has taken the lead in conducting the investigation.

According to the NHTSA, the driver of a Subaru Impreza was killed in the accident when it collided head-on with a Tesla Model 3. Several days later, a three-month-old passenger in the Tesla passed away from injuries incurred in the crash.

ADAS systems, such as Tesla's Autopilot, can help drivers with tasks such as steering and braking, but they do not make the vehicles autonomous. The NHTSA said it is investigating whether advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) were used during the crash.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
There is a commercial in the US where the Ford Co-Piolet 360 (hands-free driving) is enabled and the dad takes his hands off the wheel as he, his wife, and the child in the back seat clap to the song playing in the background. I could see where it could be useful for long road trips where there's little traffic and you wanted to have a bite or two of a sandwich. But I find myself saying in my mind, "put your hands back on the friggin wheel and drive, you have a family with you, let alone other cars with families on the road with you". It's the unexpected that usually can get us.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Although real world scenarios are the next best method to test technology, Autopilot should not be used on public roads and cities. The technology hasn’t been proven to be reliable nor safe. This type of technology is no different to OceanGate's Titan submersible fatal incident.

Even if there was a strict standard and network infrastructure in place where all vehicles on the road must be able communicate with one another, older vehicles would not qualify, therefore it’s never going to happen. Humans are unpredictable and technology has faults/errors.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.