Germans beat Tesla to Autonomous L3 driving in the Golden State

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Mercedes-Benz scored another self-driving victory, and on Tesla's former home turf, after being granted the first authorization in the state of California "to sell or lease vehicles with an automated driving system to the public," albeit with very strict restrictions.

The permission slip was granted for Mercedes-Benz's DRIVE PILOT system, a Society of Automotive Engineers level 3 automated system that, unlike Tesla's level-2 Autopilot and other competing driver assist systems, can actually be classified as one that's doing the driving - most of the time, although you'll still need to be behind the wheel. "An SAE Level 3 system actively performs driving tasks without the active control of a human driver under certain conditions, though the driver must remain behind the wheel to take over when prompted," the California DMV said in its announcement.
Tesla's Autopilot was the leader in the industry, but has since slipped to the middle of the pack, according to Consumer Reports. Even the limited professed abilities of Autopilot may be overrated, as one of the system's own engineers admitted a video reportedly demonstrating Autopilot's FSD capabilities was faked. Tesla has since confirmed that it's being investigated by the Department of Justice over FSD, hype surrounding it, and the many deaths linked to the system. We've asked Tesla for comment, but haven't heard back.
Mercedes beats Tesla to autonomous driving in California

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
"...the many deaths linked to the (Tesla) system." I am fine with MB having the better automatous system for the moment, (I am driving a Tesla) but think the verbiage "many deaths" is not exactly accurate as my general understanding is that self-driving cars do better than humans. Around 40,000 vehicle deaths per year US, one report says Tesla deaths total 393 going back to 2013, and auto-pilot deaths 33. 33 is 33 too many IMO, but 33 is not many deaths in the overall scheme of highway deaths. I think we can do better, like get the 40,000 down < 100. As AI cars get better and become more prevalent, I think that will (could / should) happen.

Reactions: plat

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
When I click on a link on the source I get to: Tesla reports two more fatal Autopilot accidents to NHTSA
Quote: Since mandatory reporting began in June 2021, the NHTSA has recorded 18 fatal accidents it said involved ADAS systems. All but one report involved a Tesla.
Quote 2: "The Agency's first report, delivered in June of this year, found that Tesla accounted for 70 percent of ADAS accidents, or 270 of the 394...."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.