New Update Another password manager is moving beyond passwords

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Passwords have been keeping us safe online for years but, according to tech industry big wigs, they are not safe enough. For a while now a group calling themselves the FIDO Alliance, made up of some of the biggest names in tech from Google and Amazon to Intel, has been telling us just how insecure our passwords are and how something needs to be done about it. Passwordless authentication is the future then, and you know we have reached a tipping point when you get password manager apps actively moving away from passwords, with NordPass now the latest in a series of password managers to do so.

New upgrades from NordPass will enable passwordless authentication to work through the service. The FIDO Alliance’s main innovation in this regard has been passkeys, and this is what the NordPass update is enabling.

Passkeys are encrypted keys that are stored on other devices that allow you to access your accounts without having to come up with, store, or remember a password. They normally work by using the biometric security devices such as facial recognition or fingerprint sensors that many smartphones have these days. Following this update, NordPass users will, therefore, be able to store their passkeys in their vault and then access them using their biometric information.

Passkeys have already seen quite a bit of adoption with big-name companies implementing them across their sites, products, and services. Google has already added passkey functionality to Google Chrome and Android devices and Microsoft has also added it to Windows 11 while other popular websites that have them include the likes of eBay and PayPal. All Apple devices have passkey functionality too.

With password managers now actively helping move us away from using passwords it seems like it is only a matter of time before they will be gone altogether, and all major apps and services ask you to use them over passwords. Personally, I don’t think this is too bad a thing as having used passkeys I can say that they are much more convenient than having to input passwords all the time. However, judging on convenience alone puts the experience on a par with using a good password manager anyway.

The Source

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The comments section about this article on gHacks could be taken to be comprised of naysayers and doom-mongerers, but I get what they're saying. I really don't like the idea of being ultra dependent on biometrics. Some time back I split one of my fingers open in an accident, that finger now has a scar across the main 'print' area. If I'd used that fingerprint as an access key to devices, it wouldn't work post-accident.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
The comments section about this article on gHacks could be taken to be comprised of naysayers and doom-mongerers, but I get what they're saying. I really don't like the idea of being ultra dependent on biometrics. Some time back I split one of my fingers open in an accident, that finger now has a scar across the main 'print' area. If I'd used that fingerprint as an access key to devices, it wouldn't work post-accident.
I think you can use different fingerprints since the one doesnt work so depends on the Phone, for me my right the thumb and one finger and other light is one finger.

Reactions: Stopspying

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I think you can use different fingerprints since the one doesnt work so depends on the Phone, for me my right the thumb and one finger and other light is one finger.
Sure, having more than one fingerprint scan makes sense, as a back up if nothing else. I was trying to highlight how using only one piece of biometric data could cause huge problems if that finger, eye, face etc is injured.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Sure, having more than one fingerprint scan makes sense, as a back up if nothing else. I was trying to highlight how using only one piece of biometric data could cause huge problems if that finger, eye, face etc is injured.
No it wouldn't be problem for fingers my right is one finger is dirty i tried 2-3 times for attendance machine it didn't works lol so thumb or the left finger instead of right one finger it work fine. it depends on, and yea the eyes/face problem obv

Reactions: Stopspying

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.