AnotherSoul's System Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherSoul

Thread author
Mar 21, 2017
I have some doubts...:
1. In cruelsister1 Comodo Firewall configuration, she told me that no other program is necessary because everything will be sanboxed (and she prooved with recent ransomwares). The point is, I understand the logic between that config but is it truth that nothing else is necessary?
2. With the configuration mentioned, is there a way to keep those config but get notify all the time?
3. When should I reset the sandbox? Everytime?
4. Am I protected against keyloggers? (all types, layered, typing, emulation, webacam, mic)
5. Softwares for the "not defined"?

Well to be honestly I got confused where to put that information since it's part of my configuration.

Thanks for reading!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo i-Vault was discontinued 8 years ago, so not sure what you mean by mentioning Comodo under Password Manager. Would be helpful if you used product names instead of just the brand names. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing.

Either Avast Free or Kaspersky AV is fine with Comodo Firewall, unless there's an unknown conflict.
Otherwise Kaspersky Internet Security to replace both Avast and Comodo.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Definitely a good config. Make sure Kaspersky and Avast are not conflicting! Like every security config, you are never 100% protected! It's a matter of user choice to keep yourself protected. Nothing needed to change. Just reset the sandbox whenever you see fit. :)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
1. In cruelsister1 Comodo Firewall configuration, she told me that no other program is necessary because everything will be sanboxed (and she prooved with recent ransomwares). The point is, I understand the logic between that config but is it truth that nothing else is necessary?
You can use Comodo Firewall on its own without any traditional AV. Anything malicious that Comodo knows will automatically be blocked and anything Comodo doesn't list a trustworthy will be sandboxed. Depending on if you have privilege elevation set to block or run isolated, anything that attempts to gain admin privileges will either be blocked from executing or left in the sandbox unable to do anything until it terminates itself. Saying this, if you feel more comfortable using a supplementary AV with Comodo Firewall then there's no real reason not to. The AV will catch the malware it knows which will mean less work for Comodo's sandbox. Just make sure to add Comodo's ProgramData folder to Avast's exclusions.

2. With the configuration mentioned, is there a way to keep those config but get notify all the time?
If you wish to be alerted when an unknown file wants access to the internet or when it requests privilege elevation, untick "Do NOT show popup alerts" in firewall settings and set "Do NOT show privilege elevation alerts" to "Run Isolated" in sandbox settings. This way you'll receive a notification when a program wishes to access the internet and you'll get a notification when a program gets sandboxed.

3. When should I reset the sandbox? Everytime?
This is your choice. If there's something that's been sandboxed and you're not aware of what it is, you can either leave it in the sandbox where it be unable to do anything or clear the sandbox and the program will be terminated.

4. Am I protected against keyloggers? (all types, layered, typing, emulation, webacam, mic)
Keyloggers will be sandboxed and their network access will be blocked. They won't be able to harvest any data inside the sandbox and even if they could they wouldn't be able to transmit it over the internet to whomever controls said keylogger.

I would add HTTPS Everywhere and Avira Browser Safety to Firefox.
HTTPS Everywhere will enforce SSL encryption on many websites and the connections on said websites which would normally be unencrypted by default.
Avira Browser Safety will block malware and phishing sites and will act as an augment to Avast's own web shield.

I also implore you to make a system image backup. You can use it to restore your OS in case something were to go wrong with your PC. I use AOMEI Backupper for data and image backups.

Other than that, very solid config. Similar to mine. Thanks for sharing. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You need to consider some type of system/data backup solution.Macrium Reflect & AOMEI Backupper offer good free solutions.
Consider adding an on demand scanner(s) such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Zemana Antimalware,Malwarebytes Antimalware,etc.
Avast is good if you want a free AV or Kaspersky if you wan a paid AV
Apart from a back up solution your config looks good and secure.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
All the suggestions above are spot on, one more thing that you may want
to look into is replacing Ghostery, if you use Google it is not hard to discover
why. Thanks for sharing , and remember our feedback should be considered
"suggestions" and helpful feedback in nature. ;)

Reactions: cryogent
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.