Anoukq's Novice on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
yay! I love that virus total utility.

but with a standard account (on Windows 10 Home--no gpsedit), I couldn't download anything, could I?
A standard user can only modify their own registry hives, in order to change system or other users the user would need to log back into their Admin account. Downloading is normal with the exception that for new applications Admin rights "elevation" will need to be addressed as required.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider some type of system & data backup solution.
You can eliminate some of the on demand scanners and consider keeping EEK and adding ESET Online scanner.
Keeping VT Uploader is fine but it is not an on demand scanner.
CCleaner is more than enough and Auslogics Defrag Pro is a good choice.
Consider a good third party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
If you're looking to backup, I would recommend both a System Backup and Data Backup.

For System, I use Drive Cloner Rx. For Data, I use RollBack Rx.

You can get both for roughly $100.

Disk imagers are fine, but they are time and effort sucks. Rollback is nice because it's pretty easy to manage and takes seconds to restore. Something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, decent configuration.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
One thing not mentioned enough for average users that try Voodooshield, is that the system needs to not have malware present when installing on the machine for the first time. As it takes a snapshot at that time of installation to "allow" everything on the system to run without issues.

By Default when you do first place it on, it will be placed into Smart Mode, if you have not changed any of the settings and placed it on as "out of the box" this is the mode you will be currently in and it utilizes the white list. The free version which is capable of keeping you safe, is restricted by lack of access to settings, if you are to keep and use it, I would recommend going ahead and getting the license for more granular control.

As for VT Uploader, I have not had my system without this utility in a long time, it is just too handy. Also for Google Chrome there is an extension "VT Chromizer" which places a VT extension in the browser and allows you to scan search links as well as whole web pages, this also has been on my system for some time.

There are many means of securing a system, combinations ect, it will depend on you, your knowledge and uses of your machine on what you settle with, so opinions of what others think you should run are pointless as you need to be happy with your set up. A good portion of security relies on this and learning better "safe surfing habits".

Last but not least, System and Personal Data back ups are a must should any of the above fail you.

Hope this helps.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
nothing from my side everything has been included by fellow members.
However I would like to say the most important and the strongest defence is brain.exe and if a person joins security forum like MT it means his or her brain.exe is up to date and fully functional. since security setup is not one time job rather it is never-ending journey

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.