Anoukq's Novice on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
I'm posting here to round out my profile (and enter the killer VoodooShield Pro giveaway!), but any advice on the following would be great.

I switched from Avast after suffering constant memory leaks and other problems reinstalls wouldn't solve; seeking a good, free/cheap, and above all, light-on-resources AV, I did a clean install, and have been using WD upon the suggestion of members here (in conjunction with VoodooShield free and Windows 10 Firewall Control (portable--read it was lightest on system)).

The free version of VoodooShield isn't terribly user-friendly (although I need to do more research on how to use it--that's on me), and I'm going to switch to Bini's WFC from the similarly-named freeware I'm using) because the interface is confusing and I liked the latter when I used it before--was just trying out W10FC because read it was light.

I was a bit trepidatious about using WD, but have found it to work quite well. That said, I'm doing manual scans like a maniac to be sure. :)

But if anyone has some quick info/comment on the following, I'd really appreciate it!
  • Among VoodooShield Pro and its competitors, which would you advise in terms of useability? I'm currently using the free version and find it very intrusive.
  • If I'm conscientious about uploading whatever I download (or scanning it manually, if too large), do I really need something like VoodooShield? Is WD with Safe Screen enabled enough for browsing safely? I only use Iobits Malware Fighter for manual scan--I really need to minimize running processes.
  • What is the consensus on the best lightweight Chrome extension to block ads etc.? I've read conflicting reviews.
  • Has anyone tried used Tweaking.com - (Right Click) Allow, Block or Remove instead of WFC/alternatives? I used it ages ago, and it is very easy to control the more basic features of Windows Firewall. Is it sufficient as an alternative?
  • Oh... and backups (gulp). I have a (pretty crappy) USB HDD attached to my router, and have never found a reliable backup solution. I had constant problems with my trial of EaseUs Home where images weren't detected/created badly, I think O&O didn't have the features I was looking for (incremental and file backups); the best I found was the AOMEI version. Any opinions on this would be great, too.
Thanks as always for all of your help!

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I would like to suggest ublock origin as the lightweight adblocker and ad https everywhere and privacy badger in the mix as extra extensions. if you setup windows defender with the pup detection registry " hack " you will be fairly fine , meaning you are not click happy. if it where up to me I would switch to avast free ( in hardened mode ) with zonealarm free firewall , which is way better / lighter combo. defender can be heavy , terribly slow on opening and scanning files. thanks for sharing your config with us :) edit : voodooshield is program that is suited for the more experienced user , the pro version is better than the free version , which offers better protection. if you want a hassle free and not to demanding replace it with comodo firewall and set it up with cruelsisters setting and virualy nothhing will get past it!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The free version of VoodooShield isn't terribly user-friendly
This is because Dan designed it so that there is nothing "to do", you install it on a clean system, put it in "Training Mode" for
approx 24hrs then set it for Smart mode and your done.
Don't be too hard on yourself, hang in there, and hang out here, it's a learning process and it takes time and dedication. We all
had to "learn" to get where we are and, you can do the same.
Defender, with VS is not a bad setup, keep the MBAM & EmsiSoft on demand scanners and get rid of the rest of that.
It is important as a newer user to get to know your setup, getting to know the software is very important.
Stick with Defender & VS for realtime at least till you learn the in's and out's of Defender and VS, this is going to help you
absorb things faster, Piling your plate too full can get confusing, and slow you down, pace yourself by learning a few at a time,
trust me. Most anyone here will be more than happy to lend a helping hand so don't be afraid to reach out, it's better than assuming and borking something.
Good Luck ;)

Last edited:

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
As you seem comfortable with Windows, you could always create a standard account which mitigates roughly around 94% threats out there, then run WD and WFC together with Unlock Origin extension , which you can add filters to the default list, coupled with personal and system file back ups, and you would be golden.

You state you check downloads with VT, which leads me to believe you already posses good surfing habits.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Things to consider:
- Remove iObit Malware Fighter (you don't need BD engine as you already have VS).
- Remove VT Uploader (VS does it automatically)
- Add uBlock Origin to Chrome (light, customizable)
- Add a free backup solution like Macrium Reflect.

About Voodoshield, it is very user-friendly if you get used to it. VS+WD is probably the best free combo besides CF.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could use any one of the well-known and popular AdBlock, AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin with filters that you want.

Safe to uninstall all on-demand scanners; Malwarebytes, Iobit Malware Fighter Pro, RKill and Kasperky TDSSKiller.
But keep VirusTotal Uploader (not a scanner) and Emsisoft Emergency Kit or try ESET Online Scanner (Internet connection required).

Suggestion only - works for myself, but not everyone.

You can use OneDrive with existing Microsoft Account to save Documents to the cloud. If you have an older MS account, you may still be eligible for 30GB Free Online Storage, if not, then 5GB it is.

For Music & Photos backup - go Google!
  • Use Chrome browser > Install Google Play Music extension > Backup up to 50,000 songs for free > Playback and download songs on compatible devices > Re-download all your songs if you ever lose them (via browser).
  • Google Photos (Android, iOS, Web) > Backup all Photos and Videos > Upload as hi-res for Unlimited Storage, otherwise Original quality will occupy your 15GB online storage.
For more information just look it up on-line, and see my post here about Play Music.

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
Are you using VoodooShield in Autopilot mode?
I don't know. From the responses here I'm beginning to think that I'm not LOL. unfortunately my computer is at my friends apartment right now but I'll doublecheck. I just kind of installed it and went with it but obviously I have some reading to do. Thanks.

You could use any one of the well-known and popular AdBlock, AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin with filters that you want.

Safe to uninstall all on-demand scanners; Malwarebytes, Iobit Malware Fighter Pro, RKill and Kasperky TDSSKiller.
But keep VirusTotal Uploader (not a scanner) and Emsisoft Emergency Kit or try ESET Online Scanner (Internet connection required).

Suggestion only - works for myself, but not everyone.

You can use OneDrive with existing Microsoft Account to save Documents to the cloud. If you have an older MS account, you may still be eligible for 30GB Free Online Storage, if not, then 5GB it is.

For Music & Photos backup - go Google!
  • Use Chrome browser > Install Google Play Music extension > Backup up to 50,000 songs for free > Playback and download songs on compatible devices > Re-download all your songs if you ever lose them (via browser).
  • Google Photos (Android, iOS, Web) > Backup all Photos and Videos > Upload as hi-res for Unlimited Storage, otherwise Original quality will occupy your 15GB online storage.
For more information just look it up on-line, and see my post here about Play Music.
Thanks. I do my library backups to Google Drive. but I still want to get in the habit of having a system image and incremental backups so when something catastrophic happens I won't have to start from scratch. but I'll check out your post, appreciated!

Okay well from all of this feedback I've reached a few conclusions.

• will try ublock origin first for chrome, if I don't like it will go with something else recommended here.
  • will download Macrium and make sure it has the features that I want and I'm able to do a network back up.
  • Won't be so paranoid about WD and will stick with Malwarebytes (and Emisoft probably). To clarify, I'm using those utilities In their portable versions through Windows Repair Toolbox, and it's just a recent thing, because I'm so wary of Windows Defender. I really didn't think that it was a plausible AV solution given its historical record, but you guys know what you're talking about.
  • Will actually read how to use Voodooshield LOL.
regarding a firewall: are there any with easier interfaces to use then windows that don't necessitate having some add on like WFC? For instance, configuring an open port was a total pain. I had to make a rule and then duplicate it for different protocols (all of which was kind of beyond me and therefore unsafe, since I really don't know what I'm permitting in and/or what's necessary). Plus WFC seems to take up some system resources, which I would prefer not to have. It sounds like Comodo is popular. How does it play with WD?

or should I go back to Avast, cross my fingers I don't have all of the problems that I was having previously with it, and use Comodo? Avast has a great interface and everything I wanted; I was just getting a lot of drag, handle leaks, etc. I know it's supposed to be super lightweight, but I will say I've seen other posts here and there from ppl with similar problems. And at least one of the AV benchmarks noted that it really slowed down their test system (although from reading you guys, I've learned that those organizations aren't always quite as impartial as one would hope).

Again, just looking for something lightweight that works.

Thanks guys!

As you seem comfortable with Windows, you could always create a standard account which mitigates roughly around 94% threats out there, then run WD and WFC together with Unlock Origin extension , which you can add filters to the default list, coupled with personal and system file back ups, and you would be golden.

You state you check downloads with VT, which leads me to believe you already posses good surfing habits.

yay! I love that virus total utility.

but with a standard account (on Win 10 Home--no gpsedit), I couldn't download anything, could I?

Last edited by a moderator:

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Hello sista!
I agreed most of what guru's has above suggest. If you want light recourses, just go with CFW like cs-settings, of course when u study and learn comodo firewall things you could go deeper settings and hardened even more. CruelSister settings is very good for novice/average..etc user and sure is enough! But like i say, you can tweak it pretty decent security. And it is enough. Hmm.. about VS, very solid product with very helpful Dev Dan! I suggest little get time to read many threads about VS & other products here MT and make the setup what is best for your hapits. I like use to it smart-mode. Just be patienge and you will get really great setup here with helpfull members in MalwareTips.

I wish you all the best and stay safe and welcome to MT! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.