Anti-Ransomware Standalones - Worth It?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I was reading some articles and reviews about Anti-Ransomware standalones, and discovered that the popular CyberReason Free has been discontinued at the end of 2018, and that Avast and AVG only possess Basic Ransomware protection. One has to pay to upgrade to get the added Ransomware Shield. What a bummer and disappointing, although I am using CF/cs alongside.

That said, are any of you using any Anti-ransomware standalones?

Having said that, I guess the only FREE AV that would have full anti-malware and anti-ransomware protection amongst other features now is probably Kaspersky Free AV.

Thoughts?

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I was reading some articles and reviews about Anti-Ransomware standalones, and discovered that the popular CyberReason Free has been discontinued at the end of 2018, and that Avast and AVG only possess Basic Ransomware protection. One has to pay to upgrade to get the added Ransomware Shield. What a bummer and disappointing, although I am using CF/cs alongside.

That said, are any of you using any Anti-ransomware standalones?

Having said that, I guess the only FREE AV that would have full anti-malware and anti-ransomware protection amongst other features now is probably Kaspersky Free AV.

Thoughts?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The strongest solution to ransomware is keeping your backups updated and offline.
If you have a recent backup, and it is disconnected from your PC and from the network, you can basically laugh at ransomware.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The strongest solution to ransomware is keeping your backups updated and offline.
If you have a recent backup, and it is disconnected from your PC and from the network, you can basically laugh at ransomware.
There's always a market for Anti-Ransomware, because there are users who don't know what a backup is, or are too lazy to keep the data safe.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Some standalone anti-ransomware tools are great!

Nevertheless, you say you have CFW, and if correctly configured (e.g CruelSister's settings) you have a bulletproof anti-ransomware, you don't have to throw anything upon it. It's not even recommended.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
For Beginner users, something like Comodo Firewall at CS settings maybe too difficult for them, where as an install & forget Anti-Ransomware "standalone" product such as Checkmal Appcheck Anti-Ransomware would be ideal. For more average to advanced users anything from an AV to Windows Defender/OSArmor would be enough to stop ransomware.

And yes, always make sure to backup important data xD

~LDogg

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
For Beginner users, something like Comodo Firewall at CS settings maybe too difficult for them, where as an install & forget Anti-Ransomware "standalone" product such as Checkmal Appcheck Anti-Ransomware would be ideal. For more average to advanced users anything from an AV to Windows Defender/OSArmor would be enough to stop ransomware.

And yes, always make sure to backup important data xD

~LDogg
We tend to say difficult configurations are for advanced users, but let's be honest: default deny solutions, anti-executables, CS CFW, they will all just block everything and won't let people install crap, and that's exactly what they should be blocked to do. If you ask me, I'd prefer my whole life to install and configure CS' CFW on my aunt's PC so all unrecognised files are sandboxed and if necessary blocked, prefer she doesn't install crap rather than having to help her recover encrypted files.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
If you have Comodo Firewall with the CS configuration. Forget about Anti-Rasomware, I say this because I have tested with Rasomware and none of them affected me.(y)
But it is always advisable to have backup copies.:giggle:
form interest what is your security configuration :unsure::unsure: ??

Reactions: oldschool

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I am using CFW (CS settings with slight modification)
OSArmor 1.4.3 (almost all options checked)
Cryptoprevent 7.4.21
plus some homebrew registry blocking hacks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.