Battle [Antivirus engine] Which one is better: AVG or McAfee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: [Antivirus engine] AVG or McAfee?

Do I get to choose none? because I don't really like any of them.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: [Antivirus engine] AVG or McAfee?

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
No, I wanted the one which is better. That's why ;)

In that case my choice will have to be AVG. Okay detection rate, can get a free version while McAfee you can't. Plus I am not sure but I thought McAfee was a heavy suite.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I prefer AVG rather than McAfee.
I like the features of AVG are: Identity Protection (the free version also available)
AVG Identity Protection goes way beyond identity theft protection software that keeps you safe from threats on the internet - can see when something potentially bad might happen on the PC, and stop it before it can do damage.

but, unfortunately, identity protection is not quickly to clean up threats. sometimes make the system lag.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
AVG would be my vote since it proved in all testing organization that made better than Mcafee however AVG isn't best at all.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you mean by Antivirus Engine? The core technologies used or based on detection-rates?

Which products of AVG and McAfee are you comparing?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
What do you mean by Antivirus Engine? The core technologies used or based on detection-rates?

Which products of AVG and McAfee are you comparing?

1. Based on detection rates
2. If it is based on detection rates, I don't think it's requred to mention the products (Is this right?).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You might be better of worth looking for yourself, next is to try the product to see which works best on your system.

http://av-comparatives.org/

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
choose which, Computer safe from viruses, or malware activity still exist on the computer? :D

Yes. less annoying. but, on the internet there are many options besides AVG, winlinux.

sorry offtopic:
Maybe avast free?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
AVG or McAfee?
I would go with AVG 2012 Free it has some nice features and in all the test it seems to be doing a very decent job.When I last tried McAfee 2012 I felt a system slow down and after some VM testing I realized that their definitions aren't that great and if we take into account the fact that you have to pay for their software, the final decision can be only one...

PS : Thread title > AVG or McAfee? in War Room Forum not in Security Configuration Wizard........ so please stick to the subject at hand.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
AVG or McAfee?
I would go with AVG 2012 Free it has some nice features and in all the test it seems to be doing a very decent job.When I last tried McAfee 2012 I felt a system slow down and after some VM testing I realized that their definitions aren't that great and if we take into account the fact that you have to pay for their software, the final decision can be only one...

If that was the case for a McAfee 2012 product, I think you know McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 isn't it? Do you think that it's even worser?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Just taked a look at the latest results from AV-Comparatives for Detection Tests , the test was done in August 2011 and surprisengly enough McAfee is the 9th place with 96,8% while AVG is on 11 with 95,7% ... :rolleyes: so according to the results McAfee would have a better detection rate but in the real world AVG dose seems to perform better against all the zero day threats...

See : AV-Comparatives On-Demand Comparative Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.