Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
What is a good antivirus for rooted Android devices? The antivirus and security apps I know of don't have much privilege. Is there a good antivirus app that have root access? I don't use antivirus app all the time. I install them once in a while, scan if there's some problem and after the scan is done, I delete them. So far I have never been infected with malware in my rooted device but these security apps don't have root access so I don't know how effective they actually are.
Don't recommend 360 or CM security though.

Also move the thread if I posted it in wrong place. Thanks!

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I think there is no difference in the antivirus versions for rooted and non-rooted Android device, but surely a rooted device can expose you to greater risks due to the fact that malware can access the system in depth (privilege escalation), by exploiting the implementation of the system to perform the operations of device damage and data deletion.
It is also true that some malware try to get SU rights to have full control of the device.
I used Bitdefender free before getting lifetime license of Zemana, but honestly I am quite worried for the new malware evolution, very sophisticated, and I wonder to myself if Android AVs will be so sophisticated to cope with them.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I think there is no difference in the antivirus versions for rooted and non-rooted Android device, but surely a rooted device can expose you to greater risks due to the fact that malware can access the system in depth (privilege escalation), by exploiting the implementation of the system to perform the operations of device damage and data deletion.
It is also true that some malware try to get SU rights to have full control of the device.
I used Bitdefender free before getting lifetime license of Zemana, but honestly I am quite worried for the new malware evolution, very sophisticated, and I wonder to myself if Android AVs will be so sophisticated to cope with them.
Indeed rooted devices are quite risky. I've managed to stay safe for this long but who knows when a legitimate app gets hacked and I get screwed. I think with root access, antivirus apps will be more effective but I'm not sure. Never looked deeply into this matter.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Indeed rooted devices are quite risky. I've managed to stay safe for this long but who knows when a legitimate app gets hacked and I get screwed. I think with root access, antivirus apps will be more effective but I'm not sure. Never looked deeply into this matter.
Honestly, I would have some doubt, knowing that my AV may work in root mode.
Try thinking if, due to a bug, FP or a mistake, this AV that has access the root, can delete some Android system files.
Your device would be like a brick...

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Honestly, I would have some doubt, knowing that my AV may work in root mode.
Try thinking if, due to a bug, FP or a mistake, this AV that has access the root, can delete some Android system files.
Your device would be like a brick...
How is that different from windows AV situation (remember webroot few weeks ago)? Any advanced user can still flash the stock ROM (it's pretty easy).
Edit: And pretty much all the data is in the cloud (Google photos, contact, music, drive), so just sync it after flashing.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
How is that different from windows AV situation (remember webroot few weeks ago)? Any advanced user can still flash the stock ROM (it's pretty easy).
Edit: And pretty much all the data is in the cloud (Google photos, contact, music, drive), so just sync it after flashing.
It is not very different situation, perhaps Android is very limited: no system image to restore, just restore to default settings and risk of data loss if you don't have a backup.
But you consider, the default Android configuration is: non rooted for a reason.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My new LG is not rooted, but all my previous were, and I just used a scanner when needed, but I relied on DroidWall for rooted phones so that only certain apps and services were permitted online, preventing net access goes a long way.
I also employed Titanium Backup Pro to remove most of the android and google spam apps.
Great comments WS ;)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Though my phone has built-in antivirus programme, I don't really use it. In fact I use Applock more frequently than the rest. Coupled with Adguard.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've used many different antiviruses for Android, but I have not found one which can use root permissions when scanning or removing malware.
However, I just did a quick Google search it seems that 360 Security, can use root permissions to remove infected system apps, if your device is rooted.

It look like Avast only uses root access for its firewall and adblocking.
Avast FAQ | Avast Mobile Security: FAQs
The main advantage of a root installation is the Avast Firewall, which allows you to control network access on a per-app basis. This improves security, blocks unwanted ads, and even preserves battery life. Unfortunately, this feature is not available for non-rooted devices due to some limitations of the Android platform. For most of the functionality within Avast Mobile Security rooting is NOT required. In fact, rooting your device is not as secure and therefore not recommended. However, users who choose to root their devices are exposed to higher risks, and that is why we include features to provide additional protection.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
It is not very different situation, perhaps Android is very limited: no system image to restore, just restore to default settings and risk of data loss if you don't have a backup.
But you consider, the default Android configuration is: non rooted for a reason.
There is Nandroid backup, Android's system image backup. But I get your points on root's risk. I've soft-bricked my device numerous times. Luckily never hard bricked. In Windows, even an user like me is able to fix any software brick when you have system image backup. In Android, if you hard bricked, very less chance to fix even if you took it into repair center.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Though my phone has built-in antivirus programme, I don't really use it. In fact I use Applock more frequently than the rest. Coupled with Adguard.
I don't really use antivirus apps either regularly. But once in a while, you may have to scan if some malware sneaked through.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.