Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
My new LG is not rooted, but all my previous were, and I just used a scanner when needed, but I relied on DroidWall for rooted phones so that only certain apps and services were permitted online, preventing net access goes a long way.
I also employed Titanium Backup Pro to remove most of the android and google spam apps.
Great comments WS ;)
Titanium Backup the best app. ;)

cyberfort

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2017
antivirus - I would suggest you
CM security -free
Kaspersky - paid

and to protect the root system files use some "root firewall"

eg. SuperSU

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
antivirus - I would suggest you
CM security -free
I'm not against your opinion but I agree with the OP about CM products.
Sometimes I get terrible pop-up with vibration, during my web surfing (if my Adguard is Off)
Often CM and 360 warn me that my device is infected by (n) virus...and if I click on this pop up, I am redirected to the Play Store link of their antivirus.

I do not trust those who practice this unfair business practice.

cyberfort

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2017
Sometimes I get terrible pop-up with vibration, during my web surfing (if my Adguard is Off)
Often CM and 360 warn me that my device is infected by (n) virus...and if I click on this pop up, I am redirected to the Play Store link of their antivirus.

I agree pathetic Chinese commercials
but seriously the detection and removal capability is superb
another trustworthy alternative is
bitdefender free

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I agree pathetic Chinese commercials
but seriously the detection and removal capability is superb
bitdefender free
I would never install an app fron Cheetah mobile. Always had horrible experience in the past. 360 seems somewhat trustworthy, but I've seen it cause big performance problem in relatives' phone. Bitdefender is one of the apps I use now and then. Its lightweight.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

I hate when companies use these tactics. On top of that CM apps ask for like every permission available. Ads everywhere, big battety hog.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've heard that Avast is good for rooted Android devices. Haven't tried it myself as I've never had any rooted devices but heard good things about Avast.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
bitdefender free
It's really light-weight, but it doesn't get updates very often. Last update was in dec last year. On the other hand almost all major AVs get updates every month. Maybe due to it's based on cloud.

cyberfort

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2017
Dr. Web have good removal capabilities
Once my cousin's mobile was infected by a adware
Few products failed to detect it
Few detected but could not remove

At last
Dr. Web did the work

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
You don't need an antivirus on Android if you install your apps from Google play, and stay away from CM apps. If you want to install, good vendors in pc security industry mostly have good Android products. Like Kaspersky, bitdefender, trend micro, avast,...

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
You don't need an antivirus on Android if you install your apps from Google play, and stay away from CM apps. If you want to install, good vendors in pc security industry mostly have good Android products. Like Kaspersky, bitdefender, trend micro, avast,...
You are right but sometimes even a legitimate app can get hacked. And malicious apps have sneaked into Google Play several times before. I don't have antivirus installed in my phone all the time. I install them once in a while, scan and delete them. And I don't use any apps from Cheetah mobile and 360. I have mentioned it all above in my previous comments.

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
Hi, sorry for the offtopic, but I will like to share my two cents I am using oneplus with RR 7.1.2(oms supported or you can say oms support added), with rooted with magisk, with substram theme engine, as matter of fact I am using Norton AV which has machine learning technic ( whatever that is) it always detect malware when I try to apply substram theme. It always says malware detected please see the screen shot added. By the way I already informed them about it as false positive but still they did not rectify it. Sorry to mention this AAT the last of the sentence actually Norton detected the injection, modifications, unwanted behaviour by any apps clearly, so in today's context you are using rooted device or not
You required this kind of av to look after the behaviour of the apps even your are installing it from play store because so many rouge apps gets approved and installed million time after million infection somebody found it, it is a rouge ware especially apps like games, themes, icon packs and whatnot. Anyway take care. Rooting the device is not problem but but using a rouge ware application like lucky patcher or similar kingo root applications to root the device is bad idea, your are inviting bad people with red carpet called hacked back doored invitation to your device. So morale of the story if you know what your doing do it or else stay in stock do not open the flood gate and blame everybody and everything else.

You are right but sometimes even a legitimate app can get hacked. And malicious apps have sneaked into Google Play several times before. I don't have antivirus installed in my phone all the time. I install them once in a while, scan and delete them. And I don't use any apps from Cheetah mobile and 360. I have mentioned it all above in my previous comments.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170523-232156.png
    Screenshot_20170523-232156.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 582

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Hi, sorry for the offtopic, but I will like to share my two cents I am using oneplus with RR 7.1.2(oms supported or you can say oms support added), with rooted with magisk, with substram theme engine, as matter of fact I am using Norton AV which has machine learning technic ( whatever that is) it always detect malware when I try to apply substram theme. It always says malware detected please see the screen shot added. By the way I already informed them about it as false positive but still they did not rectify it. Sorry to mention this AAT the last of the sentence actually Norton detected the injection, modifications, unwanted behaviour by any apps clearly, so in today's context you are using rooted device or not
You required this kind of av to look after the behaviour of the apps even your are installing it from play store because so many rouge apps gets approved and installed million time after million infection somebody found it, it is a rouge ware especially apps like games, themes, icon packs and whatnot. Anyway take care. Rooting the device is not problem but but using a rouge ware application like lucky patcher or similar kingo root applications to root the device is bad idea, your are inviting bad people with red carpet called hacked back doored invitation to your device. So morale of the story if you know what your doing do it or else stay in stock do not open the flood gate and blame everybody and everything else.
I don't use Kingroot or Lucky Patcher or similar fishy looking apps.
Substram theme engine, although have never used it myself, its popular and reputable. MIght be a false positive by Norton. You can post your problem here: Android, iOS and Mac Malware Removal Support
A little bit of off topic my myself. I see you're using a custom rom. Is there any xprivacy alternative for nougat? Xposed doesn't support Xposed. And upcoming Android O will make it just harder. I can only find AppOps which is nowhere near Xprivacy. Maybe does 10% of Xprivacy, not sufficient. I don't use custom ROM so privacy guard is out of question as well.

cyberfort

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2017
I don't use Kingroot or Lucky Patcher or similar fishy looking apps.
Substram theme engine, although have never used it myself, its popular and reputable. MIght be a false positive by Norton. You can post your problem here: Android, iOS and Mac Malware Removal Support
A little bit of off topic my myself. I see you're using a custom rom. Is there any xprivacy alternative for nougat? Xposed doesn't support Xposed. And upcoming Android O will make it just harder. I can only find AppOps which is nowhere near Xprivacy. Maybe does 10% of Xprivacy, not sufficient. I don't use custom ROM so privacy guard is out of question as well.

Donkey guard - another xposed module like xprivacy (might be development stopped)

Privacy guard - available in cynogen mod

LBE security - originally Chinese, English translated apk might be found

Miui security app - default security app in miui of xiaomi, see if it can work or can be flashed

Only donkey guard is proper alternative to xprivacy

Note : developer of xposed framework is working on nougat update soon it will be supported

The delay in developing the Xposed for Nougat is because Google has changed its compiler. The new JIT compiler installs apps very quickly and making the Xposed framework using JIT is bit tricky.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Donkey guard - another xposed module like xprivacy (might be development stopped)

Privacy guard - available in cynogen mod

LBE security - originally Chinese, English translated apk might be found

Miui security app - default security app in miui of xiaomi, see if it can work or can be flashed

Only donkey guard is proper alternative to xprivacy

Note : developer of xposed framework is working on nougat update soon it will be supported

The delay in developing the Xposed for Nougat is because Google has changed its compiler. The new JIT compiler installs apps very quickly and making the Xposed framework using JIT is bit tricky.
Donkey guard requires Xposed and Privacy guard is only available in some custom ROMs.
I just searched some XDA threads. They've ported MIUI security center to Lollipop in the past but could not successfully port in later versions. That or the devs decided to stop working on porting it.
LBE Privacy guard, Chinese version available but they've stopped making english translations since 2-3 versions ago. Only old version available.

Its been months. Even Android O is coming soon. Looks like rovo89 is having difficulties this time. I hope I'm wrong on this but I think its not just compiler problem, it is one of the main problem but along with it, Google is making Android security harder to break with each versions. Good for device security but being not able to use Xposed sucks.

cyberfort

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2017
Donkey guard requires Xposed and Privacy guard is only available in some custom ROMs.
I just searched some XDA threads. They've ported MIUI security center to Lollipop in the past but could not successfully port in later versions. That or the devs decided to stop working on porting it.
LBE Privacy guard, Chinese version available but they've stopped making english translations since 2-3 versions ago. Only old version available.

Its been months. Even Android O is coming soon. Looks like rovo89 is having difficulties this time. I hope I'm wrong on this but I think its not just compiler problem, it is one of the main problem but along with it, Google is making Android security harder to break with each versions. Good for device security but being not able to use Xposed sucks.
Yes im ready to delay upgrade just to use xposed
Anyways xiaomi is delaying update hence i cant update :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.