Troubleshoot Any free alternatives to "USB Safely Remove"?

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
None
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hi! I'm currently using this software to eject stubborn USB devices from my PC, I also tried USB Disk Ejector but it works just like the native Windows ejector.
What I like about USB Safely Remove is that if it fails to eject the device, it tells me exactly what programs are using the device, unlike the native ejctor and USB Disk Ejector which just say that the device failed to eject.
However, the program costs too much. Are there any free alternatives?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if the native method fails, you just simply open "My computer" or "This PC" -> right-click on your external storage -> Eject and unplug it

If your storage is Fat32, fat -> just unplug it, don't worry about anything else because they are designed to be quickly unplugged

if your storage is exfat, NTFS or the unplug mode is set to "Better performance" -> you should Safely remove or eject -> unplug

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It usually doesn't matter if document files or pic files are in use, but if you are running portable programs from USB, and they are open, that could cause issues, no?
I think that's why the OP is looking for a better mousetrap.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

The same here, I just pull it off then. When I try to eject it manually, it sometimes says, that some files are in use.
When it does that, wait a minute or two and try again, i have noticed this as well even on clean installs on certain machines, it is more common then reported. Generally waiting that minute or two, releases it and you can eject it normally.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.