Advice Request Any ideas to block youtube ads on TV?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Any ideas? I tried NEXTDNS with some ad filters but it didn't work =/
DNS ad blockers can't block ads on YouTube because domains used to serve ads are also used to serve videos. Since DNS ad blocker can't see difference between ad and normal video, ads can't be blocked without breaking YouTube's functionality.

What kind of Smart TV do you have? If you have Android TV, you can try sideloading YouTube Vanced app.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hi, what about purchasing YouTube Premium, when you have tried it you will never go back. 😉
I really don't want to be pushed to buy something because they flooded me with ads. Youtube's way of marketing is the one i most hate. Sometimes i'm trying to watch some musics with my son, and in the mid of the video they insert a music video with 2 min+ with sexy girls dancing (my son is only 2 years old --- BTW i've already tried youtube kids). So i would never spent 1 cent with them or share any of my info. If i had a viable alternative, i would never use youtube again. Unfortunately, the few alternatives that exist don't have all the content they could for my country and neither the applications for all smartTVs.... So i'm stuck with them... for now

DNS ad blockers can't block ads on YouTube because domains used to serve ads are also used to serve videos. Since DNS ad blocker can't see difference between ad and normal video, ads can't be blocked without breaking YouTube's functionality.

What kind of Smart TV do you have? If you have Android TV, you can try sideloading YouTube Vanced app.
I didn't know that. I thought they used separated domains. Bad news.
I have an LG tv with WEBOS (last version)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I really don't want to be pushed to buy something because they flooded me with ads. Youtube's way of marketing is the one i most hate. Sometimes i'm trying to watch some musics with my son, and in the mid of the video they insert a music video with 2 min+ with sexy girls dancing (my son is only 2 years old --- BTW i've already tried youtube kids). So i would never spent 1 cent with them or share any of my info. If i had a viable alternative, i would never use youtube again. Unfortunately, the few alternatives that exist don't have all the content they could for my country and neither the applications for all smartTVs.... So i'm stuck with them... for now

I didn't know that. I thought they used separated domains. Bad news.
I have an LG tv with WEBOS (last version)
I don't think there is a way to block YouTube ads on TV's that do not run Android. 😐

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you using YouTube TV app, Chromecast or other methods?

Reactions: Jack

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You may be able to find an older generation of the Fire TV stick without Alexa, or use the current Lite version for $30. Amazon Fire TV runs on Android.

APK - smartyoutubetv.github.io

• Thanks
Reactions: Tiamati

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.