Advice Request Any Kaspersky users receiving these updates?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
Hey folks,

So, I went into my Windows Update History and noticed a Definition Updates tab, and when I opened it, it had a load of entries for Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It never used to download these definition updates while Kaspersky was active. The only time updates would install with Kaspersky was active was if I had Periodic Scanning on, which I have disabled.

Anyone else getting these?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Do you use Kaspersky or Microsoft Defender?
If you install a third-party antivirus on Windows 10/Windows 11, Microsoft Defender is automatically disabled.

It is possible that an update was downloaded when you used the Microsoft Defender period scan which is useful to scan a computer and get a 2nd opinion in case of infections.

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
I'm using Trend Micro, I can also see 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus' updates everyday by looking at update history, even though I paused the automatic windows updates.
Maybe it's Microsoft forcing to keep the windows defender always updated daily.
Could be, my friend. I'm wondering if this is Microsoft's new way of doing things.

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

Since the release of Windows 11 22H2, Microsoft has changed its policy and started bringing updates to windows defender even though it was disabled by third-party programs.
Also, the Antimalware Service Executable service will continue to work and consume a percentage of the memory dynamically, not statically and in some cases with third-party protection programs the service may consume the processor as well

Screenshot_12.png

On my system, I tried to disable this service in all available ways, but it continues to work. The best solution was to prevent it from working from within Kaspersky Application Control
But I felt instability and strange problems in the device after preventing it from working, so I reactivated it

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.