Advice Request Anybody Else Getting Blue Screens

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
Yep, it just works. Probably will leave F-Secure on my laptop. Not sure for the desktop. However the 50+ Memtest86 errors are concerning. I pulled the "bad" ram stick and am waiting to see if it happens again.
Could try mem test without the dodgy stick and F-secure still on.

Could also try both sticks without F-secure.

Probably just a coincidence though?

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Could try mem test without the dodgy stick and F-secure still on.

Could also try both sticks without F-secure.

Probably just a coincidence though?
Well memtest boots off a USB before windows loads, so F-Secure is not relevant. If the memory does have some bad sectors it could lead to more blue screens and possibly data corruption. I actually already had to run chkdsk to get Macrium to be able to backup C:. I checked the hard drive first after that and it was fine, which led to me asking if anyone else was seeing the blue screens. For now I am waiting to hear on an RMA for the bad stick.

Edit: for the record I haven’t uninstalled F-Secure at this point. Waiting to see how it does with just the good stick of RAM while I wait to replace the other.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Well memtest boots off a USB before windows loads, so F-Secure is not relevant. If the memory does have some bad sectors it could lead to more blue screens and possibly data corruption. I actually already had to run chkdsk to get Macrium to be able to backup C:. I checked the hard drive first after that and it was fine, which led to me asking if anyone else was seeing the blue screens. For now I am waiting to hear on an RMA for the bad stick.
I know it's a little off-topic, but I'm curious.

What type of sticks is it/brand etc? Happened before on some other machine of yours or elsewhere that you know about? I'm soon about to get myself some for a new built and perhaps something to consider when I choose.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I know it's a little off-topic, but I'm curious.

What type of sticks is it/brand etc? Happened before on some other machine of yours or elsewhere that you know about? I'm soon about to get myself some for a new built and perhaps something to consider when I choose.
They are GSkill Trident Neo 32GB 3600 CL16. I wouldn’t recommend against them. They have a pretty low failure rate, and the reality is that most RAM is produced by 2 or 3 memory makers that gets rebranded. I will update as to how they honor their lifetime warranty. I’ve never had ram fail, or gotten a bad stick out of the box. I’ve mostly had Corsair in the past. Probably just got unlucky.

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
Yesterday I installed F-Secure Safe and after a few hours, F-Secure detected the uTorrent application as a PUA and blocked it. Within a few seconds, my laptop crashed with BSOB. The F-Secure Gatekeeper (fsulgk.sys) caused it.
2022-03-17_14-43-23.png

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
As an update, GSkill sent me a replacement RAM stick and it got here yesterday. I was still waiting for an e-mail to see if the RMA was approved. New stick is good. The problem is when running memtest86 and memtest I got errors. Turns out the other old stick is also bad. We’ll see if they will RMA that one as well.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Since the last F-Secure Safe update 3/9 I have been getting Blue Screens when I wake the computer up on occasion. Anybody else seen this?
The only way to know for sure is to submit the BSOD memory dump to F-Secure because third party apps very often mis-identify the cause of the BSOD.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
To their credit G.Skill sent me the second replacement as well with no issues. Only had to pay shipping, which is much cheaper than buying new RAM. Both the new sticks passed Memtest86 on multiple passes with no errors. And no more blue screens, so F-Secure is staying on the rig.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.