Advice Request Anyone heard of this? ITop VPN "The Only 100% Free VPN on the planet."

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lijlo

Feb 3, 2021
Mentioned VPN claims "no logging", but privacy policy states:

So basically, this "VPN" which is so secure and meant to make you private, knows you have installed Tor, at what time and date you accessed it, which specific websites you visited, with what original IP address, your full name, email address, billing information (despite its free?!). LOL!
  • 100% free
  • No ads
  • No limit
  • 24/7 support
  • No premium version
  • Closed source
Nice try NSA.
The only free thing about it is the download. I installed it and now get a pop-up message every time I fire up my PC advising my trial has expired and offering me a 65% discount on the "Premium" version. The best offer after the discount is just over USD50 for 15 months. Interesting. 100% free? No premium version? I'm removing it as there are better products in this category.

Upvote 0

oswestryalex

May 17, 2021
Lol, I'm losing the count of new VPNs, every day a new one, at least for me.

"Different from other VPN services, iTop VPN does not collect any information from users, even the login information is only used for identification purpose and accessing iTop VPN services. In addition, iTop has a great support team which can continue offering prompt and effective support to users 7*24 hours!"
seems to be OK - I installed it and ran malware scanner and anti virus and all came back clean. Just works as far as I can see.

Reactions: Nevi and Lenny_Fox
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
When you use free services, you get what you play for.
While it originally was free, you now only can access 16 servers (all in the US) for free, with only 700MB of data a day. So it's basically a paid only service now.
seems to be OK - I installed it and ran malware scanner and anti virus and all came back clean. Just works as far as I can see.
Antivirus scans don't give an indication of whether the service can be trusted or not. Having said that, the privacy policy they have now, is a lot better than the one they originally copied and pasted from Hola VPN's website. In addition, when I tried it when it first released, I was impressed by the speed. It may not be a terrible VPN, but there is little known about it at this point and their association with IObit may be of concern for some (but isn't for me).

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and The_King
Upvote 0

victor7399

Oct 29, 2018
May I share what I have found to be the best free VPN service?! The Swiss-made Proton VPN has no rivals, IMHO.
The "Free" version can be used on 1 device only, and uses only 3 VPN servers, but has no other limits, it is industrial-grade VPN.
The Free Windscribe VPN (a Canadian VPN) is also excellent, can be used on 1 device only, has 10 GB monthly at full speed, and uses 10+ servers.
My personal choice for a payed VPN has gone to Windscribe, which is the only one that offers "Lifetime License", which I have bought for $99. It is a 10-year long license, that will be prolonged free without any problem in 2031 when the user asks them to do that.
=====
I have also had this message from the system tray, about "iTop VPN", and their scary message. I also suppose it comes from the IObit channel of advertising system tray messages.

Reactions: amirr
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Once you reach a certain amount of data it lock down your internet access till you pay their extortion
The free and paid services are different. For free, you only have access to a very small amount of locations, and this is not the only VPN which offers a very limited free service.

The internet is not locked, you'll just have to turn off the VPN.

Reactions: amirr and CyberTech
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Just scroll down until you see this

1637334150152.png

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

Bianka21

Feb 15, 2022
Yes, more free products are just made for further business purposes. Surely there is some true freeware that only runs by taking ads fee, but the connection speed is, you know...terrible. I've used Expressvpn (at office) and Pandavpn (at home) for about two years and they are relatively more stable and reliable.

Reactions: amirr and roger_m
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.