New Update Anyone successfully installed and used gpedit.msc in Windows 11?

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I understand Group Policy Editor can be installed on Windows 11, but there are warnings that all settings may not work. Any problems with installation? How has it worked for you? What is your experience? 🤔

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
No experience but I wouldn't dare to run such a tool which is tailored for another OS. Changing 'non-working' settings in such a tool may result in unexpected behavior or unwanted changes in the OS because there is no 1:1 relationship between the tool's settings and the corresponding settings in the OS.

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Group Policy Editor is gone in Windows 11? Even in Pro versions?
No. I have 11 Home.
Those settings require domain-join computer, you can fake domain join with some registry keys.
No experience but I wouldn't dare to run such a tool which is tailored for another OS. Changing 'non-working' settings in such a tool may result in unexpected behavior or unwanted changes in the OS because there is no 1:1 relationship between the tool's settings and the corresponding settings in the OS.
Then I won't bother, for both reasons. Thanks.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's still on my Win 11 Pro

1677201078326.png

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I understand Group Policy Editor can be installed on Windows 11, but there are warnings that all settings may not work. Any problems with installation? How has it worked for you? What is your experience? 🤔
It can be accomplished with the following caveats:

1. It is a hacky process and experience
2. It might or might not work as you desire
3. Implementation and troubleshooting will require extensive online research at places such as GitHub and woshub.com, and lots of deep-dive tinkering.

If you are so inclined to pursue it as a learning experience the best course is doing it in a virtual environment (not Windows sandbox). Otherwise, not worth the effort.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.