Guide | How To Disable Windows 11 Copilot using a Registry File or Group Policy Editor

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Sammo

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
How to Disable Windows 11 Copilot Through Registry File or Group Policy Editor

With the release of update 23H2, computers running Windows 11 will now have Microsoft’s generative AI platform Copilot installed and ready for user interaction. For many, this is something to celebrate, but for others, Windows Copilot is something to be dreaded and disabled as soon as possible.

Although disabling Windows Copilot is possible, it isn’t as easy as flipping a toggle switch on a settings menu. The procedure requires the editing of the Windows Registry File or a modification to default settings through the Group Policy Editor. We walk you step-by-step through both processes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Windows 11 has a toggle switch I understand to toggle Copilot on or off but Windows 10 users need to delve into the registry ? I know it's not hard to do but .....WTF?
Mine was removed not thirty minutes after the update completed, twenty five of those thirty minutes spent looking for the toggle switch like 11 has ....SMH

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Copilot is indeed coming to Windows 10 as well:
Copilot coming to Windows 10

Here is a .reg file to disable it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot] "TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot] "TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=dword:00000001

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I disabled it for all users in the registry on my Windows 11 laptop. I removed it from the taskbar and turned it off in settings too. Of course it came right back on with the 23H2 update. I turned it off again but I don't think it is completely gone. I think it is still active in the background and MS is using it to track all of my online activity and history to feed and train their AI. That's what bothers me most about MS. You never can be sure of what they are up to, regardless of what they might say.

C.H.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.