Advice Request Anyone use BootRacer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

You would use it?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I think the time of these kind of programs has passed.
On Windows 10 you can (kind of) disable the store apps from starting automatically.
The rest can easily be managed in the startup tab of the task manager.
The best improvement in starting Windows and programs is buying a SSD.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I have used it back when it was discovered that Fast Startup could be disabled without "ruining" your computer (how times have changed) and there were forum threads comparing this On versus Off.

Now, it has no value to me. As Gandalf_The_Grey said: most startup items are delayed-start, manual or flat-out disabled. Even BIOS quick boot is off and the machine boots in acceptable time (around 11-14 sec. to desktop). I ain't that desperate to get online.

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
What do you want to achieve from using this software?

I just want to monitor what is delayed my boot from a week. I don't want/lazy to install ADK to trace boot, I was looking for an easier alternative. I enabled fast startup but I don't like when I turn of my pc to not shutting down completely, and if I use shutdown - r i have the same delay on boot like before enabling fast startup.
I suspect the new KSCF v21 or the fact that i switched from Cisco VPN to Forticlient VPN ( not my ideea, IT department ideea) is the culprit.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have no use for software like this. My startup time is quick because I'm using a SSD and in any case, I rarely restart my computer. I haven't restarted or shut down the main computer I use since last year. I just wake it from sleep every morning.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
You need to restart your computer occasionally, a lot of programs require a restart for drivers to load, for updates to work etc. And what about Windows updates? A timely restart every so often is essential to computer health imo.

Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You need to restart your computer occasionally, a lot of programs require a restart for drivers to load, for updates to work etc. And what about Windows updates? A timely restart every so often is essential to computer health imo.
Whenever my system starts to slow down, I have some other issues or a program update or uninstall requires a reboot, I do so. I updated my video driver a few days, but it did not require a reboot, so I didn't. I'm in no rush to install Windows Updates. Right now, my computer is running just as well as it was after I rebooted 7 weeks ago.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I used this back in the day my PC took over 5 minutes to boot into windows. After tweaking some startup entries it still took about 5 minutes to boot up. Had nothing to do with the effectiveness of boot-racer my 1TB boot drive was the main issue it was sloooow. Switched to a SSD once I could afford one and now its just a few seconds to get into windows. You don't even notice the time it takes from pressing the power on button to login.

Needless to say if I had to reboot my PC back in the day, I was like I will go out do some errands and coming back. :ROFLMAO:

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Played with it a little bit. From what I could gather, it determines how long each startup entry delays windows boot time, so you can decide to eliminate some of them based off that. Worked ok from what I could tell, but I didn't have anything un-necessary running so it didn't change anything for me.

I could see this being useful for a lot of people, though.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
What do you want to achieve from using this software?

Looks to be similar to Soluto which was discontinued in 2016.

Edit: You don't need to enable allow multiple votes for a poll with 2 choices.

I remember Soluto. It was an elegant solution back in the day.

@cryogent If you are having a strange delay in you boot for the last two week the first think to check is which software was update. Notice that driver conflicts, for instance often won't show up as a delay in this kind of software. Last time I used Soluto I had a delay that was caused by an incomplete installation of a driver and that wouldn't show in the software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.