Advice Request Anyone used Cloud Storage Firedrop.com?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Never used it but heard for them few months ago. When you Google Firedrop; Google doesn't show anything related to cloud, just some AI stuff. I wanted to create an account and try it, but I always forget because you can only register via mobile app. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: spaceoctopus

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
As always when it comes to "free" services there should be a drawback.
I can't think of a business model giving away services for free.

That's why I host my own instance of Seafile... sure there are the fees for the server at the data center but you can do lots of fancy stuff with it and you know what happens with your data...

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Never used it but heard for them few months ago. When you Google Firedrop; Google doesn't show anything related to cloud, just some AI stuff. I wanted to create an account and try it, but I always forget because you can only register via mobile app. :rolleyes:
Noticed that too;)

Reactions: Marko :)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
As always when it comes to "free" services there should be a drawback.
I can't think of a business model giving away services for free.

That's why I host my own instance of Seafile... sure there are the fees for the server at the data center but you can do lots of fancy stuff with it and you know what happens with your data...
Yes you are right. They describe the limited functions when you try to sign up for the free service.

''Free Account Limits & Restrictions
Firedrop's Free packages come with a lot of great features however do have certain limits and restrictions in place.
Here is a breakdown of the Free accounts features, limits and restrictions:

• 100GB FREE Cloud Storage
  • Upload a maximum of 50 files per queue
  • 4GB Individual filesize
  • Temporary speed limits only in place after heavy usage limit
Though there are these limits in place, Free accounts still have full access to:
  • All Firedrop desktop, mobile and tablet apps
  • Web-Media streaming direct from the cloud
  • Unlimited number of files and folders, within alotted storage capacity''

Akito

Mar 18, 2020
Some consider this post a little late to the party, some other people would say "it's never too late", so here we go:

I set up an account at firedrop.com about 2 years ago. I think it was even possible to register on the website, without the app (never had the app), though I can't remember.

I didn't use it for a long time.
Now, I searched for it on duckduckgo.com and google.com and didn't find anything directly related to FireDrop, but found this thread instead, so wanted to share my story.

Right after registering, I got 15GB [or was it 5GB only? (not even close to the 100GB I read everywhere now)] and used part of it through a Desktop app. All worked fine, it never seemed suspicious in any way and worked great. The thing that became bad over time is that some of my files are apparently gone, as the service is apparently gone. I did neither receive an e-mail, nor did I get a notice in any other way.

Hope my little story regarding this cloud storage service helps.

• Wow
Reactions: dinosaur07

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.