Battle Anything with system impact less (or like) windows defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I just need a light antivirus for my pc witch is runing windows 8.1
I know that webroot is light on the system but i don't like it
any other suggestion is accepted :D
thank you

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
Hi toto
Without known your protecting needs and the system spec its hard to make a suggestion.
Comodo Antivirus
Panda Cloud Antivirus
Avast! Free Antivirus
AVG Anti-Virus
360 Total Security

some will run better than others Depending on the system CPU RAM etc.
its best to try them out and find out what works for you .

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
This is a tricky subject. Windows Defender is not the fastest for me, nor the one that uses the least resources. Just use it and observe your task manager, do that for other AVs and soon you will see what I mean. But that is not all.

Panda, for instance, uses very little CPU cycles, which may be good but, aside from the danger of having minimal protection when offline, their online service can be slow too. So it won't be using your CPU to analyse files, but you may have to wait anything from less than a second to maybe 30 or more seconds before a file is considered safe and you can open it. So even though your CPU is mostly free, you still have an annoyig delay for many operations, like I found many games would have much slower loading times, etc. Panda AV Free allows you to reduce the default waiting time until the cloud responds from 30s to 10s (or increase it to 60s for a little more security), but the minimum is still too much for my taste.

Due to the complexity of the issue, this is more of a regularity rally than a F1 grand prix. You have to find something that makes sense to you, and not only in terms of absolute speed. You may find that the fastest engine does not come with the right interface and features for you.

I'm using 360TS with custom settings, which include disabling most of its real-time protection, which I do specifically to free resources. But I'm comfortable with that, this may not be your case. Still, 360TS could be a good solution, especially if you use only the cloud engine or the cloud engine + Avira for real time. I would just recommend that you disable the proactive measures included in 360TS/IS because I've seen them block legitimate stuff before, including Windows Updates. That was with an earlier version, but still I'd be careful. Other than that, it's a solid choice.

But again, like I and other members have stated, you will probably have to find what's best for you by trying. Us malwaretippers may not be able to give a single response that will work for you, but we sure have lots of information to share :D

EDIT: regarding my recommendation of turning off proactive modules, please only consider this if you are not dealing with a very high risk situation, in which it would be probably better to end up blocking a few legit stuff in exchange for increased safety. 360's heuristic engine is powerful too but also suffers from FPs.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

I just need a light antivirus for my pc witch is runing windows 8.1
I know that webroot is light on the system but i don't like it
any other suggestion is accepted :D
thank you

Hello toto,

I have a W8.1 AMD A8 6410 system...which is a low-end processor.

I use Emsisoft Internet Security.

Either Emsisoft Internet Security or Emsisoft Anti-Malware work great on W8.1.

Once I perform an initial full (deep) scan, all I have to do is leave File Guard enabled and it protects the system. With File Guard active on my system there has been no impact on resources.

That is how Emsi intends both EIS/EAM to operate.

NOTE: During a full scan you will notice a load on system resources, but it is no different than any other full system scan.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've enjoyed reading the wonderful choices members have provided, & combining some with Windows Firewall can keep your system moving nimbly. It is a fact we cannot consult a crystal ball in order to determine exactly how any AV will feel for you and (similarly to new browsers) as it also is with clothes, the same thing fits differently on all of us!:p "Avast!" works well with our Windows 8.1, while "ESET NOD 32" is quite light & works nicely with our Windows 7 SP 1 system, although it expiring in a few days. Why not give it a spin, free for 30 days, or possibly "ESET Smart Security" (if you need a Firewall included). You've nothing to lose!:cool:
Edit:

Avast! Free
Avira Pro 2015
  • Send me a PM ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jamescv7

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
its free but it killed my OS, very heavy its even worse than AVG
The FortiClient engine itself I suspect is not so slow, it's just how it's configured (and the fact you can't fine-tune it). The RT engine checks all file types, including archives and archives within archives, so that's why it's slow. But when scanning it isn't as slow as some other engines.

Reactions: nissimezra

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I use have used ESET Smart Security & EIS on Windows 8.1. Either one runs great. Right now I am running EIS 9 on all Windows 8.1 installations.What is light depends on your system specs. Trying them out is the only way to know for sure
@hjlbx is spot on in his comment above.Since Emsisoft version 8 & 9,updates are less frequent and I hardly know it is even there.I actually think it is lighter than ESET at least IMO. Depending on your system specs ESET's start up scan can put a little strain on your system.http://malwaretips.com/members/hjlbx.32691/

Reactions: YuanJiawj

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
The FortiClient engine itself I suspect is not so slow, it's just how it's configured (and the fact you can't fine-tune it). The RT engine checks all file types, including archives and archives within archives, so that's why it's slow. But when scanning it isn't as slow as some other engines.
when it update? it take 12 minutes for daily update and while updating you cant use the pc.
it does have a great web filter

I use have used ESET Smart Security & EIS on Windows 8.1. Either one runs great. Right now I am running EIS 9 on all Windows 8.1 installations.What is light depends on your system specs. Trying them out is the only way to know for sure
@hjlbx is spot on in his comment above.Since Emsisoft version 8 & 9,updates are less frequent and I hardly know it is even there.I actually think it is lighter than ESET at least IMO. Depending on your system specs ESET's start up scan can put a little strain on your system.
I'm testing all of them on the same pc to compare.
E5300
1gig ram
if you have I7 OR I5 you can run any AV without noticeable impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.