• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hello Guys,

I am a first time user of Aomei Backupper. I am running AB Pro 4.0.1 (latest version) on Win 10 64 Pro Anniversary Build Fully Updated.
I have C & D Partition. C System Partition & D Data Partition.
I created System Backup And its on D Partition.
I have scheduled Incremental Backup every 6 Hours.

System Restore disabled.
Defrag Disabled
Fast Startup disabled.
Aomei folder in Program Files (x86)/Program Data excluded in Security Software.

Few queries -
1. Menu - Settings - Other - "Automatically check the backup on completion" is disabled by default. I have enabled it. Only Full Backups are checked or Incremental/Differential too?
What you suggest, to keep the option enabled/disabled?

2. Menu - Settings - Other - "Dont show tray icon next time" is disabled by default. But I dont see any AB tray icon, any info?

How stable/reliable is backup/restore/sync, etc... & overall AB Pro?

Any suggestions/recommendation, etc..?

Thank You
Regards

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
This is territory @frogboy ;) :)

I have used this soft for a long time and had configured to send me an email on each backup. By default the copies are incremental and the backup report I think it was pretty detailed, (forgive me if I'm wrong at this point).

It is a totally reliable software, I stopped using it because I tried Paragon B & R and I liked it more. But the truth is that it saved me on more than one occasion ... that moment when I run malware on my computer to test ZoneAlarm free and then i realize that i have not run Shadow Defender ....

And i love the possibility of exploring the images as virtual units. :cool:

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Overall I liked it.

But Incremental Backup takes more than 10 mins And if you enable Verify backup then total more than 20 mins.

And when I tried System Backup restore, at the end of the wizard it mentioned will restart system & 2 options were there, Win PE bootable(checked by default) & Linux?
I thought bootable is not required to perform restore within Windows with AB Pro?

I have uninstalled it. Now will try Macrium for the first time & see...

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Overall I liked it.

But Incremental Backup takes more than 10 mins And if you enable Verify backup then total more than 20 mins.

And when I tried System Backup restore, at the end of the wizard it mentioned will restart system & 2 options were there, Win PE bootable(checked by default) & Linux?
I thought bootable is not required to perform restore within Windows with AB Pro?

I have uninstalled it. Now will try Macrium for the first time & see...
You will like Macrium i think it runs a lot lighter and PC is a lot more usable during the backup. Never failed me yet. ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You will like Macrium i think it runs a lot lighter and PC is a lot more usable during the backup. Never failed me yet. ;)
System was lighter with AB too. And everything seems good.

But Incremental backup time & verify is long. I thought it would be around 1-3 mins, like AX64 does this kinda backup i.e initial full backup & then incremental backup & its incremental backup time is around 1-3 mins.

And restore with AB needs bootable, I thought you can do restore within Windows normally.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
System was lighter with AB too. And everything seems good.

But Incremental backup time & verify is long. I thought it would be around 1-3 mins, like AX64 does this kinda backup i.e initial full backup & then incremental backup & its incremental backup time is around 1-3 mins.

And restore with AB needs bootable, I thought you can do restore within Windows normally.
You can restore with Macrium within Windows no problems there, tried it here a few times and it worked well.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You can restore with Macrium within Windows no problems there, tried it here a few times and it worked well.
Do you perform Incremental backup with Macrium?

My C drive is app 47GB/100GB full (HDD), can you tell me how much time average Macrium Incremental backup will take here? (AB Incremental took more than 10 mins)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
No i just make full new backups while disconnected from my internet then disconnect the HDD from my machine before connecting back to the internet. Got to keep the backup drive clean and that is what i do to stop it ever getting infected. ;)

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
Do you perform Incremental backup with Macrium?

My C drive is app 47GB/100GB full (HDD), can you tell me how much time average Macrium Incremental backup will take here? (AB Incremental took more than 10 mins)
Macrium reflect takes about 12 to 15 minutes for a full backup of a 50 to 60 gig hdd

the time taken will also depend on the data type and the configuration of your system as well as if your are running a system scan or copying files and other disk intensive activities.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As long you are not doing any other task then the backup should be around 20-30 minutes; you may set the level priority resource to High if needed to accumulate the process faster.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have used AX64 V2 for quite a long time. Its kinda Macrium & Aomei.
I tried Aomei Backupper Pro & Macrium Home Trial for the first time. My experience with all -

Macrium took app 36 mins for full backup
Aomei took app 26 mins for full backup
AX64 V2 takes app 25-30 mins for full backup

Macrium took app 1-3 mins for incremental backup (Tried 2 incremental backup)
Aomei took app more than 10 mins for incremental backup (Tried 2 incremental backup)
AX64 V2 takes app 1-3 mins for incremental backup

Didn't try restore with Macrium. Macrium users mention default restore i.e "Rapid Delta Store" is fast.
Tried restore with Aomei But at the end it mentioned "Bootable PE or Linux" So cancelled the restore.
AX64 V2 restore options -
Hot Restore - Start restore within Windows. Takes around 8-10 mins.
Warm Restore - Start restore at boot & uncheck "full restore" in advanced settings. Takes around 15-20 mins.
Cold Restore - Start restore at boot. Takes around 25-30 mins.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I tried -
Macrium Home Trial latest
Aomei Backupper Pro latest
EaseUs Todo Backup Workstation Trial latest

C partition 48GB/100GB full
D partition data drive 146GB/365GB full

Created "System Backup" saved on D partition

System Backup (initial full backup)
Macrium - took app 36 mins (backup size app 34GB)
Aomei - took app 26 mins (backup size app 35GB)
EaseUs - took app 25 mins (backup size app 36GB)

Incremental Backup (after full backup completed, I tried 2 incremental backup)
Macrium
Incremental 1 - took 2 mins & few secs.
Incremental 2 - took 1 min & few secs

Aomei
Incremental 1 - took more than 10 mins
Incremental 2 - took more than 10 mins

EaseUs (Surprising & Shocking)
Incremental 1 - app under 20 secs
Incremental 2 - app under 20 secs
To try, I had scheduled incremental backup every hour. After last incremental backup, when the hourly incremental kicked in, that too completed under 20 secs (during that 1 hour I was just browsing Wilders & MalwareTips forum & nothing much).

I didn't try restore with any.

EaseUs has boot menu option Linux/PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Tried Restore with Macrium Home Trial

Did Full backup & 3 Incremental backup.
Restored to 3rd incremental backup with Pre-OS console.
Everything seems fine BUT chkdsk found errors "The Volume Bitmap is incorrect".

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
But were the errors there before maybe?
No, I had run chkdsk before Macrium install & before restore too. I always run chkdsk before install, before restore & after restore with such programs.

chkdsk mentioned errors " "The Volume Bitmap is incorrect".

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.