shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Personally, I'm still doing that, using both on my Windows 8.1 x64. Could you give exact names of the other software that came out please?
but if you are happy with NVT ERP, no reason to switch. It still works great and has a dedicated following, even though it is not the "latest and greatest". Its simplicity is its strength.

The only thing is that after Windows updates, you might have to refresh the vulnerable processes list, and maybe other special lists (whitelist, blacklist, parent process), because the hash might have changed if it was a microsoft file. This is noticeable with powershell, because microsoft is actively developing it, but the issue is not limited to powershell

Reactions: AtlBo

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
but if you are happy with NVT ERP, no reason to switch. It still works great and has a dedicated following, even though it is not the "latest and greatest". Its simplicity is its strength.
Yes I am very happy and very used to it. The only reason to switch is when it becomes obsolete on a future Windows 10 iteration and I am forced to install that iteration. In the meantime, I'm happy and comfortable working on Windows 8.1
The only thing is that after Windows updates, you might have to refresh the vulnerable processes list, and maybe other special lists (whitelist, blacklist, parent process), because the hash might have changed if it was a microsoft file. This is noticeable with powershell, because microsoft is actively developing it, but the issue is not limited to powershell
Yes I know this. It's quite a bit of a job, sometimes little bit, to maintain ERP lists. But for me it's kind of fun doing that so no big deal.
You don't know how much I hope Andreas come back to the consumer market someday. At least that hope is fed by looking at his website, it still is online.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes I am very happy and very used to it. The only reason to switch is when it comes obsolete on a future Windows 10 iteration
I am using NVT ERP on Windows 10 with updates, and everything is fine. By the time it becomes obsolete, the newer softs should be out of beta, or maybe the dev will come back.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
the user needs to pay attention to alerts and try not to shoot himself in the foot.

Definitely people should always aware that automated operation will not fully work as effective, they should understand and depend on the approval of interactive alerts.

Computer machine by alone could not operate alone without the supervision of a user.

Technically ReHIPS, Appguard and few others are definitely strong tool which user should learn patience on building the configuration.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I would actually love to try Appguard, unable to find a trial version on their site.

Have followed and read a lot of information on this software, i am a tinkerer so I constantly try out new software.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I would actually love to try Appguard, unable to find a trial version on their site.

Have followed and read a lot of information on this software, i am a tinkerer so I constantly try out new software.
There's no "free" trial available for AppGuard now, sadly. :(
Personally, I hope BRN change this stance in the future.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
interested to know why you stopped using it.
I am afraid to start because it is addictive: it is very hard to find other software that can do what appguard does.

I used version #3 (probably has changed in version #4)at the time and in lock down mode my system stopped being usable.

I would like to try version #4 but I have enough security software to tweak on my system now.

An AppGuard trial is no longer available; the software must be purchased outright.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I used to have it as a mainstay (I think that is the correct spelling) on my PC, but ditched it because the custom rules I add in the special folders list (eg: the section that sets read/write, protected etc... for directories and files) are global. In other words, no rules are set "per application"; the rules are for all applications (whether it is all, or just guarded apps, cannot remember). Apart from that, I would still be using it, *cough* I think *cough*.

This seems like a lackluster thing in a lot of permission apps, didn't mean this to read as a dig at AG... just posted a post in a thread loosely titled "Have you tried AppGuard?".

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I put in a request for one months ago. It received preliminary approval. Long wait times are just how it goes sometimes.
Allow me to thank you for your generosity! Lets hope it gets approve and Congrats to all the future winners of Appguard!

Reactions: AtlBo and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.