App Review Appguard vs Voodooshield

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
Now that the title has your attention, this is not about which product is better then the other. I made this video to demonstrate how the two products handle the files differently, and how either product will make an excellent addition to any security configuration.

The desktop and downloads folder locations are the two most common places users download to, "download folder being by default". I execute the samples first from the desktop, then from the downloads folder with both products.

Both products are at default settings.

Conclusion:
Appguard: more suited for advanced users.
Reason: Rules need to be entered manually, product does not quarantine /remove files, user will need to use other means to do so.

Voodooshield: Better suited for novices to intermediate.
Reason:The product will quarantine and remove files, provides more detailed information of the file for better choices.

appguard: http://www.appguardus.com/support/products/AG44/AppGuard Professional User Guide v4.4.pdf

Voodooshield:
http://www.voodooshield.com/Download/VoodooShieldUserGuide.pdf

Samples courtesy of @silversurfer, for an unbiased test.

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
After watching twice, something struck on me.

I notice for VS, it is relying on Ai or VT as detection or some sort of scanning. Am I right to say that? Hence possibly you need connectivity for that, right? How about running VS on no-connection state? Would that effectiveness the same too? How about AG? Does AG also rely some sort of detection for malicious program and then block execution? Would that mean AG would also need connectivity?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Watching (& then listening again while reading the newer posts) is good for my VoodooShield self esteem!:p:D I'm also feeling like a fan whose favorite team is playing at home, and I've been given the privilege of seeing up close what I've been excited about all along (just like a fan boy) as both teams put on a memorable exhibition!:D

Thank you @Lucent Warrior for shining a spotlight on both VoodooShield and Appguard. Positive findings of excellence, especially when found in common for two separate software, is meaningful news we all enjoy!:)

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
After watching twice, something struck on me.

I notice for VS, it is relying on Ai or VT as detection or some sort of scanning. Am I right to say that? Hence possibly you need connectivity for that, right? How about running VS on no-connection state? Would that effectiveness the same too? How about AG? Does AG also rely some sort of detection for malicious program and then block execution? Would that mean AG would also need connectivity?

AppGuard is software restriction policy; what is not allowed is denied (blocked) and what is allowed is mostly run with heavily restricted access rights.

AppGuard does not detect anything by signature; once protections are enabled, AppGuard applies its anti-execution and restricted privileges policies without any attempt to rate a file as "good, bad or suspicious." In other words, AppGuard's policies are agnostic. Finally, once protections are enabled, AppGuard's policies essentially treat everything newly introduced to the system as "denied." I say essentially as the user can create exceptions for trusted\known good programs a couple of different ways.

Therefore, AppGuard does not need network connectivity to apply its policies; AppGuard only needs network access to initially validate the license key.

NOTE:

AppGuard's behavior is dependent upon what protection mode is enabled - Protected or Locked Down. Locked Down is recommended for greatest security.

The basic strategy any user should employ with AppGuard is as follows:

1. Clean install OS
2. Install desired softs using all offline installers - if possible
3. Install AppGuard
4. Lock Down system

Also, it is recommended by Blue Ridge Networks to create a layered configuration that includes both an anti-virus and firewall.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
hard to compare NVT ERP, because it needs to be configured, at least to a certain extent, by the user:
1 trust signatures, and if so, which ones?
2 trust system files?
3 trust program files?
and so on.
IMO the "out of box" settings of NTV ERP are not really meant to be used as default settings, they just mean that you didn't configure the product yet.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.