AppGuared users , Do you use in its default setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

How would you know it doesn't cripple the system? Maybe the software is doing something you wouldn't be able to see on the outside, juts because its main function is not interrupted doesn't necessarily mean it's fine. Like, why would the software author make the software do the things that get blocked by appguard if they weren't needed? Maybe some software truly don't need em, but how would you know for sure 100%? Would you know your blood is blue, if you weren't bleeding? Obviously in this example some of your skin's color would change but yeah

A crippled system is by definition obvious because the malfunction is so major that it cannot be ignored. There is no such thing as an invisibly crippled system. In the same vein, a crippled vehicle doesn't move. It's obvious.

AppGuard does not break things in unknown, hidden ways. When things are broken they are noticeable. That's how it works.

A breakage and a crippled system are two completely different things.

Author's make their programs do a lot of stuff that aren't necessary. Blocking that kind of stuff doesn't break anything.

D

Deleted member 178

@Yo Whats Up and i will add to the above post of @Lockdown

if you add a process/program in user space or as Guarded , then launch it and it doesn't start or do something unusual/problematic, that means it is a breakage or crippled system (in case you added system processes).

Alert only but all seems working fine = what you did worked.
Alert + issue to use the program or its functionalities = you did something wrong.
Alert + system frozen or BSODs = you definitely did something wrong :p

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

100% default because it is unresponsive to customized settings and too much room for errors. The Help files are hopelessly confusing.

LOL

There are AppGuard users who have been creating customized policies for years and the product works for them. Some users create very advanced policies - disable many things in Windows, apply AppGuard protections to many Windows and non-Windows processes - all without issue.

AppGuard is not going to teach you all about Windows processes and other programs. You have to learn all that on your own.

Reactions: Weebarra and XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How would you know it doesn't cripple the system? Maybe the software is doing something you wouldn't be able to see on the outside, juts because its main function is not interrupted doesn't necessarily mean it's fine. Like, why would the software author make the software do the things that get blocked by appguard if they weren't needed? Maybe some software truly don't need em, but how would you know for sure 100%? Would you know your blood is blue, if you weren't bleeding? Obviously in this example some of your skin's color would change but yeah
Yeah, I have had security apps that silently blocked Windows update, or automatic maintenance. That's not cool. Automatic maintenance sounds silly, but you do want TRIM to happen every once in a while, if you have an SSD, or defrag, if you have HDD. Maybe it does other good things, too. And Windows update is obviously important for security.
But AppGuard doesn't do that kind of silent blocking.

How to know when a blockage is important or not: it helps if you have basic familiarity with your software. For instance, let's say someone never used MS Word before, or any other word processor, for that matter. He tries to save a doc in a custom folder that he made somewhere, and AppGuard blocks it. He does not know that is breakage, because he never saved a doc before. But you are not a noob, so you can tell when something is not working. Noobs will need a geek to set up Appguard for them, they can't do it themselves.

Appguard is constantly blocking memory access of process A to process B, but 99% of the time, the block is totally meaningless. Your music player doesn't have to spill over into the memory of Excel in order for either of them to work right.

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Are there any alternatives to AppGuard, one that's consumer orientated? I'm thinking VoodooShield is for one. AG has been a pain for several years and I'll never understand it. After 2015 Blue Ridge left home users in the dust.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Are there any alternatives to AppGuard, one that's consumer orientated? I'm thinking VoodooShield is for one. AG has been a pain for several years and I'll never understand it. After 2015 Blue Ridge left home users in the dust.
If you find a viable alternative, let me know.
Voodooshield works on a different principle, I don't think that as an anti-exe you could say it is a true alternative to Rehips, which is software restriction policy. And voodooshield is not without its own issues, among them silent blocking.
Bottom line: Both will do a very good job of protecting the system. It's the user's choice, in the end.

Reactions: cimmay

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ReHIPS will give you strong protection for exploitable programs, including memory protection, and it will block execution of unknowns, these are things that AppGuard does. However, it accomplishes all this in a very different way.
But keep in mind that ReHIPS is not the easiest app to learn.

Reactions: SHvFl and cimmay

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There's a saying "you get what you pay for". ReHIPS is running $52 usd. I did not stay long enough to see if it's annual.
Yeah, I forgot they jacked the price way up. The free demo version does everything you need, except for one: you will have a hard time running a multi-process browser with extensions, and with all protections functioning. This is because the demo version only runs 10 isolated processes at a time. Could be that active beta testers will get the full version for free, but if time is money, you are better off paying the $52 bucks.

Reactions: hamo and cimmay

You should use what you like. What works best for you personally on your specific system(s).

However, AppGuard is the universe's most effective security software.

People will assign whatever meaning they wish to my posts - and start drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 178

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
However, AppGuard is the universe's most effective security software.
I'll stick with the starter page and 3 options, and just leave it alone. I remember it being $19.95 without renewals, then when it started getting footnotes in articles it went to $29.95 lifetime. That's when I jumped in. Now it hovers around $70 annual. I still say there could be a home version without any customization pages.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What turned me away is reHIPS looks like a one man operation.
There are a couple devs, but yes, it is a "boutique" security soft at this point, or an exclusive club, whatever you want to call it.
I am presently using the release candidate for the third stable version, as I am a beta tester for the product. They seem to have worked out the bugs at this point, and I like it. They made all the hard decisions for you already, by crafting appropriate rules for every system and program file that is worthy of being honored with its own rule. But I am digressing from the topic of this thread...
Anyways, AppGuard and ReHIPS are the strongest security softs you are going to find.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There is no such thing as what you say. Dont be absolute. Your product isnt impenetrable. It can be bypassed.
Yeah, but he didn't say it is absolutely effective, because it isn't. He just said that on a scale, he would put it at the top, as "most effective".
Anyways, that claim only holds water if you use Lockdown's specially crafted policy, not at default settings.

Reactions: hamo

Yeah, but he didn't say it is absolutely effective, because it isn't. He just said that on a scale, he would put it at the top, as "most effective".
Anyways, that claim only holds water if you use Lockdown's specially crafted policy, not at default settings.

AppGuard is the universe's most effective security software - period. No qualification is needed.

I can also state AppGuard is the universe's most capable, most efficient, etc, etc without qualification.

There is no such thing as what you say. Dont be absolute. Your product isnt impenetrable. It can be bypassed.

I never stated AppGuard is impenetrable or cannot be bypassed. You are assigning your own meaning to my post.

Reactions: hamo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.