AppGuared users , Do you use in its default setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Re AppGuard installer, come on guys, if you are a legit paid user, common sense dictates you to save a copy in one place, no wait, two different places, no wait, even a third one, in your own cloud, no wait... and so on.

Point is why complain for temporary download links?
Save several copies of it. :sneaky::p

Reactions: shmu26 and mlnevese

Re AppGuard installer, come on guys, if you are a legit paid user, common sense dictates you to save a copy in one place, no wait, two different places, no wait, even a third one, in your own cloud, no wait... and so on.

If it were me I would strip the 30-day trial out of the 4.4.6.1 version, because it is that trial that has been causing all the troubles. Unauthorized persons are using that installer to access the trial for illicit purposes. The 30-day trial is no longer legit because version 4.4.6.1 is no longer available to the general public - it is only available to those that have a valid license. Version 4.4.6.1 is private access only - made only to those who can provide valid license credentials ! So distribution to and access by those that do not have a valid license is illegal !!

Last edited by a moderator:

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016

Yes the day I purchased the lifetime lic I saved three install files.

Reactions: shmu26

Beware guys, Lockdown will find you in your home and beat you up :ROFLMAO:

AppGuard LLC takes software piracy and license violations seriously. Trade Mark and Federal Trade Commission violations are aggressively pursued.

If people wouldn't violate the license terms across the web and do other illicit things, then such measures wouldn't be necessary.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Two questions:
1 after adding onedrive to private folders, I get block message about onedrive/desktop.ini, when I launch chrome. Make exception in guarded apps for desktop.ini?
2 if appguard is in protected mode, could a signed keylogger do anything?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Two questions:
1 after adding onedrive to private folders, I get block message about onedrive/desktop.ini, when I launch chrome. Make exception in guarded apps for desktop.ini?
2 if appguard is in protected mode, could a signed keylogger do anything?

1. You can make the desktop.ini an exception read\write folder - because Chrome needlessly reads the file system all the time and AppGuard blocks it and generates the alert - or you can disable the privacy popup and toaster alerts in the AppGuard GUI as the Windows alert is all you need.

2. Yes. User session infection is possible. It depends upon the keylogger. There are many types of keyloggers. Most file types can be signed - from simple scripts to the more complex - did you know that ? But you as the user have to make the user session happen - bring about the convergence of system circumstances. Such a convergence doesn't just magically happen. You guys keep making it seem like this stuff just spontaneously happens all by itself. It doesn't work that way. You as the user have to set the circumstances in motion - and AppGuard and not any other security software can prevent that - the industry cannot protect users from themselves.

D

Deleted member 65228

Beware guys, Lockdown will find you in your home and beat you up :ROFLMAO:
Make sure to wear your lightning-resistant clothes when you go out :cool:
I apologise if I am coming off as a bit rude because I am not trying to be, I'd just like to ask... Do you happen to be a customer of AppGuard? The reason I ask is because I cannot tell if you're trolling or not. I apologise if I have simply misunderstood. :)

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1. You can make the desktop.ini an exception read\write folder - because Chrome needlessly reads the file system all the time and AppGuard blocks it and generates the alert - or you can disable the privacy popup and toaster alerts in the AppGuard GUI as the Windows alert is all you need.

2. Yes. User session infection is possible. It depends upon the keylogger. There are many types of keyloggers. Most file types can be signed - from simple scripts to the more complex - did you know that ? But you as the user have to make the user session happen - bring about the convergence of system circumstances. Such a convergence doesn't just magically happen. You guys keep making it seem like this stuff just spontaneously happens all by itself. It doesn't work that way. You as the user have to set the circumstances in motion - and AppGuard and not any other security software can prevent that - the industry cannot protect users from themselves.
Thanks.
Just musing about what could still possibly go wrong with appguard in protected mode, after I have tucked my sensitive data away in private folders.
The only disaster I could think of is a keylogger, possibly downloaded and launched by a noob user on my computer, or by myself in a temporary state of insanity. Or maybe I am already in a permanent state of insanity, and that's why I am worrying about this??
In any case, if there are any other disaster scenarios that I have overlooked, I would be happy to learn about them...

I apologise if I am coming off as a bit rude because I am not trying to be, I'd just like to ask... Do you happen to be a customer of AppGuard? The reason I ask is because I cannot tell if you're trolling or not. I apologise if I have simply misunderstood. :)

This is a security forum. Trolling and rude behavior, people taking jabs at AppGuard, par for the course.

Thanks.
Just musing about what could still possibly go wrong with appguard in protected mode, after I have tucked my sensitive data away in private folders.
The only disaster I could think of is a keylogger, possibly downloaded and launched by a noob user on my computer, or by myself in a temporary state of insanity. Or maybe I am already in a permanent state of insanity, and that's why I am worrying about this??
In any case, if there are any other disaster scenarios that I have overlooked, I would be happy to learn about them...

This is IT security. Lingering doubts, thinking about "what ifs," and playing scenarios over-and-over in their minds is what security soft geeks do. Security soft geeks make themselves crazy. LOL. I suppose that is what makes them better at security than the rest of the population.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This is IT security. Lingering doubts, thinking about "what ifs," and playing scenarios over-and-over in their minds is what security soft geeks do.
What is so unbusinesslike about risk assessment? If you never think about "what if", you don't know what your risks are.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I didn't say it was unbusinesslike nor derogatory in any way. Some people make a lot of money consulting all the "what ifs."
Great. So I will try to rephrase my original question:
AppGuard in "protected mode".
Sensitive data in "private folders".
What remaining realistic risks, if any, should the user take into account, besides a possible keylogger?

Great. So I will try to rephrase my original question:
AppGuard in "protected mode".
Sensitive data in "private folders".
What remaining realistic risks, if any, should the user take into account, besides a possible keylogger?

The most probable is user mistakes.

Keyloggers are not realistic threats. Adware, malvertising and a browser tab hijack are realistic threats.

Ask any security vendor, that statement is the most true. Security softs are insurance policies against user mistakes and protecting users from themselves - and not what most forum members really think - which is the boogey men attacking them and being constantly assailed from all corners of the net. People think that because of the constant garbage fear mongering reports put up onto the web by the IT security press.

Users do not have a realistic perspective. They focus on the extremes instead of the mundane. What is realistic is the mundane - and not the extreme. Users do not grasp that concept and will argue to their own detriment and downfall that it is the extremes that count when it is the mundane that matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.